• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Vast amounts of coolant disappearing.

kbush

Since I've owned my truck I've been smelling coolant when driving it. I haven't tried very hard to find the leak until recently when I added two gallons of coolant after I driving only 40 miles. I had thought one of the short hoses from the intake manifold to the water jackets was leaking (and I believe it truly was) so I replaced both of those. I haven't yet replaced all of the hoses but I assure you that is not where gallons of coolant is going.

I changed the oil again recently. The oil smelled and looked great. I recently flushed the coolant system and saw no evidence of oil in the coolant. There are no obvious leaks ANYwhere. The engine (not that it has anything to do with the coolant) seems to be a nice tight good running engine. Carries 68 pounds of oil pressure.

Is it possible the coolant is all disappearing out with the exhaust? If so would that mean intake or exhaust manifold gaskets? Cracked head?

I can see how it might be something of that nature as the coolant smell seems to go away a little bit after things get real hot.

Thanks guys.

hole

If I top my radiator off, it will puke out what it doesnt want . My truck is happy when it's down 1/2 gallon from full.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
They DO like to "self level". I haven't seen any deuce in person that keeps the coolant to the level its "supposed" to be. 2gal is a lot though. Have you tested your rad cap? Sometimes they go bad and let the system leak a little at a time. That can add up to be 2gal over a time span and be why you always smell coolant.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Well, the easiest test was the cap. That wasn't in the description I saw, so I started there. I guess you'll have to pressurize the cyls and see if you get air bubbles in the rad. I think someone else said to pull the rad cap and start the truck, a bad head gasket could put air in the coolant sys.

Barrman

What year is your truck and does it have the really old water cooled air compressor? This a huge long shot, but worth asking.

Do you have a water coolant heater? Those heater cases will hold a lot of coolant before you can see any leaks. Not 2 gallons though.

Most radiator shops will have an adaptor to pressure test your cooling system. Have them take it up to 12 psi and if you have a leak, it will show up.

Heavysteven

Mine self levels too.

You know the best solution would be to pull the radiator and take to be tested. Then replace all the hoses. That road takes a couple days work.

kbush

Barrman, It's 69' (1989 Rebuild) with the two cylinder air cooled compressor. I do have a coolant heater which I want to eliminate. I bought one of the smaller ones that mounts in the cab. I hate trying to work on the left side of the engine with that heater sitting there.

Maybe I'll take that off today and see what happens. A friend suggested smelling the exhaust to and see if it smells sweet.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How OFTEN do you have to replace that much coolant? If this was a one-time event, you might consider more frequent checks.

Otherwise, if you're refilling repeatedly, the recommendations above are good guidance.

Exercise CAUTION when sniffing the exhaust... That can cause BRAIN DAMAGE..... OH, WAIT!!!! You're already addicted to MV's.... It's too late ! ! !

IMHO

Last edited:

DeuceDad

Barrman, It's 69' (1989 Rebuild) with the two cylinder air cooled compressor. I do have a coolant heater which I want to eliminate. I bought one of the smaller ones that mounts in the cab. I hate trying to work on the left side of the engine with that heater sitting there.

Maybe I'll take that off today and see what happens. A friend suggested smelling the exhaust to and see if it smells sweet.

Any pics of this coolant heater and location? I may be dealing with a coolant loss as well?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks