• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Veggie M1009 Day 1

rottiedog

Drove the truck on WVO today. Came into work at 430 because my girlfriend felt "itchy" and wanted to change the freakin' sheets in the middle of the freakin' night. I decided that work sounded like fun. Went out and fired up the truck. Well, I tried to. It took 3 attempts to get it started. By the time I got to the base, I was starving from the smell. Started with a little french fry smell and ended with a little sea food smell.

It worked but I need to take the processing a few steps further than just filtering the crap out. Definitly had some gelling going on with the temps below 40F. I filtered twice. Once with a 15 micron water/fuel separater then with a 10 micron fuel filter. Both started to clog before 15 gallons went through.

Oh well, back to the drawing board..... Going to get it to work even if it kills me or the truck. Got to figure that the 15 gallons in my truck saved me a couple of bucks unless the filters clog, the rings cook, the ip fails..........

Oldvw2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like you are making progress - did you want a basket of hushpuppies halfway through your trip :)

Tell us some more about your setup, are you running a single tank? I ran some bio in my 6.5 pickup right before I ended up selling it - truck seemed to run good and start easier. It was commercial bio and not straight WVO though.

rottiedog

put some more milesl

yup, hush puppies are on my mind right now. I just took a few people out to look at it. I fired it up and we stood at the back. Everybody smelled seafood at the same instant.

I haven't done any mods to the fuel system in the truck. Just poured in the veggie with a little diesel.

Just drove from Cherry Point to New River Air Station. Seems to run smooth with no lack in power (not that I have any with the tires and gears that I have).

I am going to add a little more diesel tonight to see if it helps the cold start.

Oldvw2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: put some more milesl

rottiedog said:
Just drove from Cherry Point to New River Air Station. Seems to run smooth with no lack in power (not that I have any with the tires and gears that I have).

I am going to add a little more diesel tonight to see if it helps the cold start.
Ha, sounds like the 6.2. pickup I had with the 700r4 auto and 3.42 gearing - hit any kind of hill and the rpm's would climb and so would the temp gauge. Some petro diesel would probably help your pour point tonight - I'm N of you in Franklin County and they are calling for near freezing temps here...

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
You do realize that WVO is acidic, right? Your trying to run only WVO and leaving it there in the fuel system is not good as you are slowely disolving your IP and assorted parts. Also starting on cold WVO is not good at all. The CUCV IP is not known as the strongest. I have used WVO on an unmodified system, but only on long trips where it is kept warm. I also let it run mostly dry then top off with diesel toward the end of the trip.

You can build your own two tank system if you do the research. That way you can start on low viscosity diesel, and then heat your WVO. It also flushes the WVO out of the fuel system before shutdown.

rottiedog

builder77 said:
You do realize that WVO is acidic, right? .
I do understand and have been researching your concerns for some time now. I am not running it straight. Right now, I am at a 50% blend with filtered WVO. I am in the process of building a biofuel setup. By the time I am done, it would have been cheaper to by on of the ready made kits but I am learning a LOT and pissing of the neighbors.

I am not treating the m1009 as expendable but for how little I have in it, it is better than trying this out on a new diesel.

Really have to get busy on replacing all the rubber fuel lines. Anybody know what to use that is syntetic? Are all fuel lines synthetic these days? or do I have to ask for something special at the store?

kentuckycucv

Im running a mix of Holy oil and diesel. The Its Holy oil because the priest said grace before the chuch fish fry and chicken dinner. Im filtering down to 5 microns and pouring the stuff right in the tank in the summer. I have been doing this now for 2YEARS with minor problems. I have had to replace a couple of fuel filters... and have caught a few rats getting after my stash.
My new edition to my truck is a heated fuel filter water seperator and a syster that heats the injector lines for cold starts. I will take pics when I install

jag7720

you must have a heated tank, fuel lines, filter and a final heat exchanger to get it running properly on a 6.2 ... or any diesel.
WVO Pipeline WVO / SVO / BioDiesel Community and map › WVO Photo Gallery › User galleries › jason › CUCV M1009 Blazer 85

http://www.wvopipeline.com/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/10002/p1040028.jpg

See the final heat exchanger?
http://www.wvopipeline.com/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/10002/p1040025.jpg

The heater fuel filer is not installed yet in these pictures

Loco_Hosa

I have a co worker who runs vegi oil in his old Mercedes, apparently he routed the fuel lines so they were coiled around the exhaust. It worked well for him apparently, he delivers pizza in it everyday :)