• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Vegoil destroys engines?

ohnuts

After all the conversations on the thrills and pitfalls of veggie oil I like the 80% motor oil 20% diesel. Working in a company that pays to dispose of oil.

coecamo

Biodiesel uses treated veg,soy ,cooking oil etc. Treated as removal of glycerien, proper ph level etc. I know a fuel distributer licenced to blend biodiesel. They watch thier bio oil source carefully. I trust their biodiesel and run it in my truck. the main advantage of bio is not low cost source oil but a oil molecule containing aprox 40 percent more easily released oxygen. This burns the petrol diesel more completely usualy resulting in slight power increase less soot-more complete burn and slight increased milage. Untreated veg oil especially for deep fryers is bad increased acidity is detremantial to fuel system parts burning oil containing glycerien is completely WRONG. also be aware rubber hoses could be effected-swelling choking inside diameter. Gary

stump

Its ben along time comming but I finaly killed my 6.2. Well you could say I fryed it. I have ben running wvo at 15-20 gal with 5 gal gas. ran great. This is in a 83 Blazer . What realy killed it was heat. I had a overheating problem for about two months and the temp was in the 90s and add ac to the problem and you get the picture. This motor only had 248,000 miles. Must have just ben a bad one :wink: . I have another motor and will replace the fryed one soon. I have a full tank of wvo in it I have to fix it. Keep on keepen on. I love my diesel truck!:-D

dcwilkie

So let me get this straight- I can use unaltered waste vegetable oil (wvo) from, say, Chic-Fil-A as long as I heat it and filter it? All I have to do is run a seperate tank so I can shut down using diesel?
What about waste motor oil? Do I need to switch tanks before shutting down :?:

stampy

I currently drive my 300sd Benz on a blend 80% veg 20% diesel and have for years. Some of the newer engines I might hesitate to do that though. I have 1 tank. Me and Stump both use centrifuged oil to remove the heavies. As with anything your results may vary but so far I have excellent results and so did stump(his engine was on its last legs for years). We occasionally change filters but since we have been centrifuging even that is less often. WVO will clean out your tank and remove sludge almost like biodiesel so expect to have a little crap hitting the filter for the first tank or two. I experienced this with my CUCV. I plugged up 2 filters but now she runs like a champ. I real cold weather climates I would recommend a tank or fuel line heater but in NC no problems.

stampy

Simple centrifuge...thats the name but avengusa has built centrifuges too, if I had to do it over again I would buy his. Or you could build one if you have the skill...my buddy stump built his.

dcwilkie

Womder how many RPM I would need to selttle the WVO particulates to the bottom? I was thinking I might could rig up a centrifuge using Jerry cans (4?) and a washing machine motor.
For that matter, maybe I could use the clothes washer spin cycle. I'll bet Margaret (wife) would just LOVE that!:razz:

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Elsbett conversion for the 300SD specifies never to use WVO and the rapeseed VO (canola oil) must meet certain standards.
Elsbett is a single tank 100% VO system, however, below freezing temps calls for mixing with regular diesel or 100% regular diesel.

Attachments

stampy

Dcwilkie Actually the oil gets slung against the side where g forces pull out the heavies. Kind of like an extreme tilt a whirl.

dcwilkie

What do you guys use to heat the extra tank? Heat tape? Calrods? Magic?;-) My guess is 28 VDC heat tape wrapped around the outside of the tank with a thermal blanket to keep the heat in. Thermocouple feedback wired into a thermostat of some sort or a thermal switch?

stampy

I use a drum heater (55gal setup) Stump uses a water heater element or 2, I have insulated my tank with the rolled aluminum faced bubble wrap. It works good except I should have put a small amount of cardboard or some other insulator between the bubble wrap and the heater as now there is a line there where it overheated the plastic.:-D

Chow717

Ok.. have to put here my plans for review and comment from all. I have "access" to new, un-used VO from a local company. The VO to be had most likely had a damage occured during shipment which broke the seal on the container. Regulations do not allow this to be used in the manufacturing process. There are skids of 55 gallon drums available. I was thinking along the lines of a 75% VO / 25% diesel mix during the warmer months. I usually do not drive the truck during the winter months due to the TONS of salt on the roads from the state crews. Here is label from the VO in question. Should I be concerned in any way? My thoughts also were that I would not have to filter before use.

Attachments

DiesalDog

Yea ive been runing my one duece off of drain oil for the last year and its been awesome. Now just recently i came across 20 plus 250 gal totes filled with chicken fat and fish oil that we are using to make bio diesel. For fun we decided to run a staight tank in my bobbed duece and it was awesome on warm days other wise the two tank system would be a better alternative. Even with the drain oil i noticed if i didn't thin it out enough forget starting in the winter.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks