• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

vehicle generator question.

Blueduce

I am restoring a 1951 M43 and I have the generator up to a local shop for testing. The shop asked me to find out which pin goes to what on the generator to Regulator plug so he can bench test the unit. I have searched high and low and every schematic I found does show the 3 pin connection between the Gen and the Reg but what I need to know is what each pin does.
If anybody can help me out I would be grateful.

dmetalmiki

Are they serious??? Any competent vehicle electrician would ground the case and check the output while rotating the unit. They would work out which does what from there surely? field armature or earth. They could just use a voltmeter between the pins. They can also measure impedance between pins and earth. Hopefully one of our kin who is auto electric will step in here for you.

Blueduce

Are they serious??? Any competent vehicle electrician would ground the case and check the output while rotating the unit. They would work out which does what from there surely? field armature or earth. They could just use a voltmeter between the pins. They can also measure impedance between pins and earth. Hopefully one of our kin who is auto electric will step in here for you.
Thanks for your help dmetalmiki, I guess none of our other "kin" are wanting or willing to step in.

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not a "sparky"; I'm more of a mechanical, nuts & bolts kind'a guy, so I'm not much help with your problem. However, if you go over to G741 (which is exclusively M37 / M43) you will find lots of people to help you. There are a number of very knowledgeable people who would be happy to help de-mystifying you generator.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I tried to find the answer to this, but the pinout is apparently only provided in the electrical TM which I do not have. You could tell though from the vehicle schematic that two pins are armature and the one at the top of the triangle when looking at the female connector is field. Not 100% on this, please correct if found not to be the case. (incorrect, see next post)

Last edited:

T. Highway

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Blueduce,
This information is for a GROUP 4 - FOUR POLE, TWO BRUSH GENERATOR (WATERPROOF)

"A & C" Are connected to the INSULATED brushes
"B" pin is the Field

"A" pin is the top position when looking at the open end of the connection (keyed for cable connector directly above it).
"B" pin is the bottom left
"C" pin is the bottom right

This can all be found in TM 9-1825B on pages 101 - 128

Please check out the G741.ORG site for this type of information. Its for M37s and all of its variants.

Bert

T. Highway

Steel Soldiers Supporter
NDT,

Your information is correct for the pin location, when you are looking at the Group 4 VBC regulator where the cable from the Generator plugs in.

"A" is at the 9 O'clock position
"B" is at the 1 O'clock position
"C" is at the 5 O'clock position

Bert

Last edited:

T. Highway

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Blueduce,

If you feel the need to adjust your voltage regulator, you will need the adaptor cord set but adjustment of the Regulator is super easy.

If you are still running a standard Group 4 VBC Regulator (Waterproof)
Looking at the regulator with the cable connectors located to your left.

The coil on the left side is for VOLTAGE regulation
The coil in the middle is for CURRENT regulation
The coil on the right is a CIRCUIT BREAKER

Bert

Blueduce

Thanks fellas, This info is helpful and will pass it along to the guy at the shop who has my Gen. Hope everyone has a safe weekend.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks