• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Vehicle ID

Tin Medic

I'm not sure if this is WW2 or not. This truck is located not to far from me and headed to the shredder and I thought I would pull off any useful parts before it gets crushed. Are there any parts I should look at saving? You can still see the stars on the doors.

Attachments

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's a 1942 CCKW closed cab banjo (corporate) axle. The entire truck is worth saving for sure. The cab is one of the best I have seen in a long time. The fenders and hood just need a couple whacks to be back in shape. I would really try to find her a home.

ke5eua

It's a 1942 CCKW closed cab banjo (corporate) axle. The entire truck is worth saving for sure. The cab is one of the best I have seen in a long time. The fenders and hood just need a couple whacks to be back in shape. I would really try to find her a home.
You are the god of all mv's. You remind me of my old NCOIC. He was a god of weapons. You could bring him the charred remains of what used to be a weapon and he would identify it, attempt to reassemble it, and if successful in the reassembly, fire it while telling you the entire history about it.

USMC 00-08

Grab whatever you can if no one cares. I have heard that the metal pieces that cover the sides of the engine are hard to come by. Maybe you can buy the whole truck for a little of nothing.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are the god of all mv's. You remind me of my old NCOIC. He was a god of weapons. You could bring him the charred remains of what used to be a weapon and he would identify it, attempt to reassemble it, and if successful in the reassembly, fire it while telling you the entire history about it.
Thanks but really there are others here that know FAR more than me. I guess when you have been working with MVs since you were 16, you get to see almost everything and learn a lot.

Tin Medic

I know the owner so it may be possible to pick it up but I'm pretty sure there is no title. I will be out there again Monday so I will get some more pics. The drivetrain is in place but I didnt look at it closely. Is there an ID tag anywhere I should look for?

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I agree!!
Several years ago I paid almost 1K for a CCKW that was far worse than that...and a rotten rust bucket to boot. The truck eventually gave it's life to save two others as she just couldn't be saved...but with her donor parts she lives on.

It would be an expensive fixer upper overall but as far as I can see the cab can be fixed with some TLC. The bed may be a different story.

If that truck was close to me...say 100-150 miles I would gladly pay scrap value plus and put her in line for future resto work.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The VIN plate will be on the firewall inside the cab centered in line with the transmission. Builder will likely be "Yellow Truck and Coach". The VIN suffix letters/numbers will tell you what the truck originally carried, most likely cargo bed.

Tin Medic

I will get back and check it out in detail. The fuel tank and battery box are still in place. I didnt notice any rust holes anywhere. I dont think I could take on that restoration, at least not right now. I think Tinwoodsman needs a new project.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Buy the whole thing. They aren't making them anymore and WWII green iron deserve good homes to save for future generations to enjoy. If the price is less than $1K (which is a lot more than it's worth in scrap metal), BUY IT! I'm sure you can find a home for it here or on G503.

Tin Medic

Now I'm confused. I went back today to get more pics and see about buying it. I pulled the data plate and brought it home so I could figure it out. After removing 5 coats of red paint I found that it is a 5 ton CCW but I cant find this in Doyles book. :shrugs: What am I missing here. The star is still on the top of the roof and pretty bright. The bed wood looks old enough but it does not appear to be the original bed due to some weird mounts underneath. There is only one rust spot on the cab that I could find, it is in the cab corner behind the driver. There is a piece of metal covering it from the outside but the rust through isnt that big, maybe 1"x6". The seat itself is missing but the base is in great shape. What is the 2x4 bolted behind the seat, it looks original? The window frame is complete and has surface rust but no damage. The delivery date is 10-42. I can probably get for just over scrap prices. And I know we all love pics. I have known about this rig for 8 years but wasnt looking for a project this big so I never looked it over but I guess it needs a home.

2014-08-11 13.43.57.jpg2014-08-11 13.44.19.jpg2014-08-11 13.52.41.jpg2014-08-11 13.44.03.jpg2014-08-11 13.51.36.jpg2014-08-11 13.49.00.jpg2014-08-11 13.51.31.jpg2014-08-11 13.49.05.jpg2014-08-11 13.50.30.jpg2014-08-11 13.50.25.jpg2014-08-11 18.00.14.jpg2014-08-11 13.44.10.jpg2014-08-11 13.53.37.jpg2014-08-11 13.44.57-2.jpg2014-08-11 13.53.01.jpg2014-08-11 13.33.37.jpg2014-08-11 13.43.50.jpg2014-08-11 13.44.27.jpg

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ah Ha! Missed the non-driving front axle in your pics. Yes the CCW is the "line haul" version of the venerable CCKW. Still has the GM transfer case, just missing low range and everything associated with front output shaft. The truck is still very desirable (I have one that I fully restored). It's still a deuce and a half, but since it's intended for the highway only, it was called a 5 ton as that is what all deuce and a halfs are rated to haul on hard surfaces.

The wood piece behind the seat is original. The truck obviously needs a ground up restoration, including 11 tires that cost $250 ea.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks