• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Vehicle inspection before purchase?

redman333

I could have sworn I've seen people who said they will inspect for you here and also people that said they inspected before purchase yet I got an email response back from iron plant that they don't allow inspections before the auction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Attachments

Last edited:

redman333

Is it possible to basically just go there and inspect without really asking permission. Thinking that if I could find the vehicle which I should be able to identify it using the nsn correct. Just would need to figure out where they store the vehicle on base. Anyone know where this is?

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, GP stores vehicles in other locations. That is DL Dispo for Ft. Bragg, but it's not where the trucks are.

Also, remember, this is an active duty military installation. As such, NC DLs that are not 'enhanced' are not valid for entry under the RealID act. You must have federal government ID (Passport, passport card, DoD ID or similar) or a DL or ID Card from a state that is 'enhanced'.

Duckworthe

I spoke to a guy in Yermo Ca. where they have a shop right off the highway 15. He said that people would come in to look at the trucks and since they are minimally manned couldn't watch them. So things were being stolen, tire kickers were wasting there working time, and then It came down to the insurance cost. It was very expensive to let people come in and climb around the trucks and bang a knee and sue them for damages and pain and suffering. Just wasn't working out anymore. That is probably why this came about in the end. This is what he told me anyway.

redman333

I spoke to a guy in Yermo Ca. where they have a shop right off the highway 15. He said that people would come in to look at the trucks and since they are minimally manned couldn't watch them. So things were being stolen, tire kickers were wasting there working time, and then It came down to the insurance cost. It was very expensive to let people come in and climb around the trucks and bang a knee and sue them for damages and pain and suffering. Just wasn't working out anymore. That is probably why this came about in the end. This is what he told me anyway.
That makes sense. I initially thought maybe they were trying to make it a more level playing field for people since not every one bidding can get there to look at the rigs but that would make sense also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Duckworthe

That also sounds like a good explanation about the level playing field. But it is also easier to sell these trucks sight unseen. I've seen this posting before, and I quote "Passenger side door wont close correctly." When I went to look at the vehicle I saw why "the door wont close correctly" IT DIDNT HAVE A DOOR! Well, he wasn't lying technically! I bought my truck sight unseen but I didn't expect much and I did have good pics to see. Mine turned out to be a great truck with very little issues. I sometimes thing they tossed mine out by mistake! But I know that some of these trucks are diamonds and some are goats A**.

redman333

That also sounds like a good explanation about the level playing field. But it is also easier to sell these trucks sight unseen. I've seen this posting before, and I quote "Passenger side door wont close correctly." When I went to look at the vehicle I saw why "the door wont close correctly" IT DIDNT HAVE A DOOR! Well, he wasn't lying technically! I bought my truck sight unseen but I didn't expect much and I did have good pics to see. Mine turned out to be a great truck with very little issues. I sometimes thing they tossed mine out by mistake! But I know that some of these trucks are diamonds and some are goats A**.
The main reason I want to look at it is because I want to drive it home. I'm about 2.5hours from the base, well probably 3-3.5 hours in the LMTV. I mainly just want to be able to drive it. I don't mind any sort of problems, heck even a missing door would be fine, I'll drive with no door. I mean I'd prefer one in pristine order but don't expect that by any means.

Niuhi

The main reason I want to look at it is because I want to drive it home. I'm about 2.5hours from the base, well probably 3-3.5 hours in the LMTV. I mainly just want to be able to drive it. I don't mind any sort of problems, heck even a missing door would be fine, I'll drive with no door. I mean I'd prefer one in pristine order but don't expect that by any means.
I'm right there with you except I had mine scheduled thru Veritread. Let's say mine wasn't a good experience. I can't blame Veritread, but the bid I got and accepted for transport was not good. Driver made appointment for pick up, but did not do so. I had a second transport arranged (Independent) and when he put it on the trailer it ended up being 6 inches over height. I'm okay with the second driver since he was very professional and always kept in contact as to what and where he was. First driver "Nothing". No calls, emails or responses.

Anyhow, now I'm going to have to drive down and drive it back. On the plus side the second pickup driver said it ran great, in fact better than many he drove while in the Army. Another bonus to having him actually show up being the fact he was intimately familiar with the 1078. Said I got a really good deal on mine. Now just need to get down there to get it back up to Shoreline WA.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks