• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Vehicle Reg. requirements page.

gunboy1656

I was reading about the guy stopped by the cops for being over weight, and it got me to think.

Why cant we get a motor vehicle section, that contains the state laws regarding the use of our trucks?

Some people may not know where to look to find all the "legalities" or statutes. And it is even mentioned in here that each state has it own requirements. With what is going on in WI, I think everyone would benefit from having it. Sort of like a one stop shop.

Just have one person from each state put their states requirements, so there would not be a lot of confusion.

charlietango

I can contribute to Manitoba Canada. The info here was picked off Manitoba Public Insurance website and are pieces that will likely apply to CUCV, M35, M37, M38 etc to some degree. It appears that you have to be careful when choosing your vehicle type for registration and if you are stopped by the VIU it better match or big fines apply!

You actually have to hold commercial drivers licence for a deuce and have an annual safety. Standard class 5 drivers licence does not apply. Class 3 is what you need.

Trucks with more than two axles, including any combination of
vehicles, OR a truck with two axles towing a vehicle with a registered
gross vehicle weight of more than 4,540 kg (but does not include a
semi-trailer truck). Includes all vehicles in Classes 4 and 5. 18
required on initial application and periodically thereafter based on
• Requires supervising driver for Authorized Instruction.
• Must pass road test. For Classes 1, 2, 3 or 4 (buses and trucks only), the test
includes a pre-trip inspection of vehicle (and air brake system if applicable)
Vehicle Charges:
$45
+4,540 kg

Definition of "antique motor vehicle"
53(1) In this section, "antique motor vehicle" means a motor vehicle that is at least 30 years old.
Restrictions on use of antique motor vehicles
53(2) If an antique motor vehicle is registered in a registration class for antique motor vehicles, no person shall drive the motor vehicle on a highway, and its owner shall not allow another person to drive it on a highway, other than
(a) to, from or in
(i) a parade or procession, or
(ii) a rally in accordance with any conditions imposed in writing by the registrar; or
(b) to or from a place to be serviced or repaired

Vehicle Use Definitions

Pleasure Passenger Vehicle

A pleasure passenger vehicle can't be used for any business purposes. It can only be driven to or from--or part way to or from--work or school up to 4 days in one month and not more than 1,609 km (1,000 miles) during a registration period. It can be used to drive dependants to and from school, without limits. Students can't drive a vehicle to school regularly on pleasure use.

All Purpose Passenger Vehicle

An all purpose passenger vehicle is used for pleasure driving and for driving to or from--or part way to or from--work or school, or for business purposes.

Common Carrier Passenger Vehicle (local)

A common carrier passenger vehicle (local) is used by a courier or common carrier within a city or municipality, or for any other delivery purposes in connection with a business, trade or occupation, more than four days in one month or more than 1,609 km (1,000 miles) during a registration period.

Farm Passenger Vehicle

A farm passenger vehicle is one registered by a person who lives on a farm and who farms for not less than 720 cumulative hours in a registration period or is retired from farming. A retired farmer is not one who has quit farming and taken up another primary occupation. A farm passenger vehicle can only be driven to or from--or part way to or from--work or school or used for business purposes, other than farming, up to 4 days a month and not more than 1,609 km (1,000 miles) a year. It can be used to drive dependent children to and from school, without limits.

Farming All Purpose Truck

A farming all purpose truck is a truck registered and insured by a person whose primary occupation is farming, or a truck owned by a person, corporation or a group of persons who own, rent or lease land for the purpose of one or more of the following operations (which must be for the purpose of sale of or marketing a product) for at least 3 months or 720 hours a year:

Growing crops or fodder
Raising livestock or poultry
Egg production
Honey production
Raising mink or fox
Milk or cream production
Operating a feed lot on which cattle are kept
A retired farmer, an employee of a farmer, or a person who owns land and leases it to others for the purpose of farming isn't eligible for the farming/fishing truck insurance rates. Farming truck has three categories based on the truck’s weight.

A Fishing All Purpose Truck is used primarily for commercial fishing. Fishing truck insurance uses are divided into three categories according to vehicle weight.

Pleasure Truck

A pleasure truck has a gross vehicle weight of 4,540 kg or less

All Purpose Truck

An all purpose truck has a gross vehicle weight of 4,540 kg or less

Motor homes

Motor homes are designed and built for driving and permanent living. Specifically, a motor home must have at least one bed and:

a stove, or
a refrigerator, or
a sink and toilet.
Any or all of these items, including the bed or beds, must be permanently installed. Motor homes also must have direct access between the driver's seat and the living quarters.

A motor home can be insured in one of three categories:

A motor home in the pleasure category is used for pleasure driving. It can only be driven to or from--or part way to or from--work or school up to 4 days a month and not more than 1,609 km (1,000 miles) a year. It cannot be used for any business purpose.
An all purpose motor home can be used for pleasure driving, for driving to or from--or part way to or from--work or school and for business purposes.
Motor homes can also be U-drives.

Truck Body Styles

A "Truck" is a motor vehicle or semi-trailer truck that is not a delivery car and that is constructed or adapted to carry goods, but not passengers or luggage. This classification covers all trucks not defined elsewhere.

Box
A "Box" is a body style of a truck with the cargo bearing area enclosed by solid walls or sides permanently mounted on the chassis, without a permanently mounted top.

Cab and Chassis
A "Cab and Chassis" is a cab built on a truck chassis to allow for the installation of special cargo or passenger body.

Chassis Mounted Camper
A "Chassis Mounted Camper" is a body style of a truck which has living accomodations permanently attached to the truck chassis. The cab and living facilities are separate units with no access to the living facilities from the cab.

Crew Cab
A "Crew Cab" is a body style describing a truck with the passenger/driver area lengthened to allow rear seating, with a second pair of forward hinged rear doors. The cargo carrying area has low sides constructed as part of the chassis.

Crew Cab Service Truck
A "Crew Cab Service Truck" is the body style for a truck which has any combination of low storage boxes or lockers or shelves on either side of the cargo carrying area, built on a Crew Cab chassis. These trucks are used for on-site work, and the body configuration can vary depending on design requirements.

Cube Van
A "Cube Van" is a body style describing a truck designed with two separate components. One is the driver/passenger area. The other is the cargo area, which is permanently affixed to the chassis and has adjoining side walls and a permanently affixed roof. The cargo area may or may not be open to the driver/passenger area.

Dump
A "Dump" is a body style for a truck with a load-carrying container which has a mechanical device attached to the chassis to raise the container and dump the load.

Extended Cab
An "Extended Cab" is a body style describing a truck with the passenger/driver area extended to include an area behind the front seats, which may or may not allow rear seating. In addition to the front doors, the extended cab may have one, two or no rear doors, which, if present, are reverse hinged. The cargo carrying area has low sides constructed as part of the chassis.

Extended Cab Service Truck
An "Extended Cab Service Truck" is the body style for a truck which has any combination of low storage boxes or lockers or shelves on either side of the cargo carrying area, built on an Extended Cab chassis. These trucks are used for on-site work, and the body configuration can vary depending on design requirements.

Permanently Mounted Apparatus
A "Permanently Mounted apparatus" (PMA) is any device or apparatus affixed to the chassis of a truck, not designed to carry a load and which is specifically categorized (e.g. well drilling rig, crane).

Pickup
A "Pickup" is a body style for a truck consisting of a cab which is not lengthened to include an area behind the front seats, where the two doors are forward hinged, and the cargo carrying area has low sides affixed to the chassis. A light pickup has a maximum manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of 4,540 kg or less. A heavy pickup has a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of over 4,540 kg.

Platform
A "Platform" is a body style for a truck with a flat, open deck platform on which the load is transported.

Service Truck
A "Service Truck" is the body style for a truck which has any combination of low storage boxes or lockers or shelves on either side of the cargo carrying area. These trucks are used to transport tools and materials to sites, to perform service work. There are two types of Service Trucks: Light (4,540 kg GVW or less) and Heavy (greater than 4,540 kg GVW). The body configuration can vary depending on design requirements.

Sport Utility Vehicle
A "Sport Utility Vehicle" is a motor vehicle designated by a manufacturer as a sport utility vehicle and equipped with permanently mounted front seats, and rear seats which may be removed.

When the rear seats are permanently removed, the vehicle can be classified as a truck for registration purposes. A sport utility vehicle may have two or four doors and may be two or four wheel drive.

Manufacturers also refer to these vehicles by the names: multi purpose, all purpose, and utility vehicles.

Some examples of these vehicles are: Chevrolet Suburban, Chevrolet Trailblazer LS, Ford Escape XLS.

When the rear seats are installed, the vehicle is classified as a passenger vehicle for registration purposes. Refer to the Passenger Vehicle – Sport Utility Vehicle body style.

Stake
A "Stake" is a body style for a truck designed with removable side walls that surround the load carrying area.

Tanker
A "Tanker" is a body style for a truck constructed with a tank which is affixed to the chassis for transporting cargo.

Tow Truck
A "Tow Truck" is a body style for a truck, which has a device or apparatus attached to the chassis that is able to raise and attach another vehicle to the tow truck to move the other vehicle.

Truck Tractor
A "Truck Tractor" has a net weight of more than 4,000 kg and is equipped with the lower half of a fifth wheel coupler designed to pull a semi-trailer by coupling to the king pin attached to the semi-trailer.

Last edited:

ARYankee

That's really not a bad idea. There can be a couple of delegates from each state that could gather up the necessary info or links, then post them in there. I never thought about having it done here. I was thinking more about the state MVPA sites and putting the info on my club's site when I get it up.

firebuilder

I think it would be a great idea, but I think input from multiple people is needed. If only one person posts you must assume they know everything. Maybe set up a section where each state has its own thread. Perhaps divide the state thread further in to state laws/regs (maybe seperating commercial vs. non-commercial use) and local laws/regs/ordinances. Right now, any thread that is posted particular to one state always ends up with people saying, "I don't live in XXXX, but here in YYYY these are the rules." That doesn't help the original poster.

As someone looking to get an MV at some point, the legalities are some of my biggest stumbling blocks. Even knowing where to look, there is so much intertwining and cross-referencing that it quickly becomes confusing. Obviously, as with anything user generated, people need to verify the information for themselves, but it would be a great starting point. Plus it would be easy to do a search. It could also be a good way for Bob from Podunk, Vermont to know if he's going to have to leave his 5-ton to take that new job because he can't park in his driveway in Podunk, Michigan (both places do exist).

gunboy1656

I was thinking keeping it at the state level, due to the fact this would be 700,000 pages with all the local stuff. Let everyone do the further research, but give them that starting point to leap off from.

And the problem with a lot of people's input within a state, you see how threads get out of hand fast, well I can see the same thing with this.

Was thinking about keeping it to the non commercial side as much as possible, since most dont run commercially with these trucks, and those that do know the rules for the most part.

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can help with the Pennsylvania laws. I have a few friends that know the Motor Vehicle Code inside and out. If they don't know it, they will know where to get the correct answers.

Inspection mechanics and Judges make good friends. They can (and have) tell me the specific titles and code sections pertaining to the state laws.

I would like to see the specific vehicle codes posted and the links to the State Web site if it's available.

Good idea Scott.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Im all for it, but states change their laws often, and I dont think anyone can keep up with it. I'd simpliy post a link to the states DMV website.. Those are the experts whos opinions are the only ones that matter.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I agree with emmado22...it's a good idea but would take a HUGH chunk of room to list the complete code etc. from each state.
Just list the State's web site and maybe reference a particular section that may apply to MVs etc.:beer:

ida34

I have also heard a lot of misinformation on this issue and do not see any way to make sure the information is correct. I have posted Michigan law on registration an use in the past. I post the whole law and highlight the particular sections. The problem with a layman trying to read the law is they only read one portion and do not get understand law is written so you must read the whole section and sometimes a few more to make sense of what is read. If anyone need info on Michigan do a search for some of my previous posts. I have thought about writing an article on this issue for MV magazine but quickly found that researching this for all 50 states was a very daunting task. I may do it when I retire.

firebuilder

Just giving a link to the DMV for a state is useless, IMO. Anyone should be able to find that on their own. You really need the specific laws which can be hard to find. The whole text doesn't need to be listed, necessarily, but the title, section, paragraph, etc. should be referenced.

Sure there is a lot of misinformation out there, but if Bob from Podunk can't support his comments with references to actual law, then they don't belong in the thread. In the end it is up the individual to verify what is posted here or on any website. This could be a good starting point though.

greenjeepster

I don't think it is a bad idea, but it is not realistic. From what we have been able to tell about the ticket for being over weight it was a case of the LEO having bad information and the ticket was not warranted. Having information from this forum would not have changed that circumstance at all... he still would have gotten a ticket and told to appeal if he chose.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The concept of a state-by-state data base is a good one IMHO. The logistics, support and legal validity could be challenges though. Care must be taken to assure that legal advise is properly disclaimered, etc.

Recently, conversations in other threads have provoked me to print ALL of the applicable Texas Transportation codes, the Texas Towing Law, and applicable info form the Texas Department of Insurance as it relates to MV's. In all, over 600 pages!

Hence, I would recommend that any data base should only include LINKS to the OFFICIAL websites where information can be found, and that no layman interprets what a Liar >>> oops... LAWYER should.

IMHO

John

CatMan

Vehicle Registration Requirements

The MVPA has a committee that is taking up the very same issue. This came about as a result of trying to provide hard data in the legislative battle in Wisconsin.

I've spent the better part of two and half years getting an education on the subject. You are all correct that it is nearly impossible to get the information from a DOT/DMV web site alone.

The MVPA web site does have a page with a link to each state DOT web site.
There are similarities in many states but many different departments involved.

We have begun to get summary data from a couple organizations that have already done similar surveys for other collector vehicles.

What often happens is too many people get involved and there is no consistant formating of questions or referance to specific statute chapter and paragraph. Beware of the thread that starts "Well I know a guy that....."
That won't get it done.

The MVPA has the organization to coordinate this effort. Coordinating state legislative efforts will become more and more important in the future as owning Military Vehicles shifts away from commercial use and adds more hobby ownership. That is what has been happened over the last 30 years. The states DOT are just starting to catch on.

Please join and support the MVPA.

Thanks

Cat Man

gunboy1656

I agree with emmado22...it's a good idea but would take a HUGH chunk of room to list the complete code etc. from each state.
Just list the State's web site and maybe reference a particular section that may apply to MVs etc.:beer:
This is what I was getting at. that way people are not pulling their hair out hearing about the different codes.

gunboy1656

The MVPA has a committee that is taking up the very same issue. This came about as a result of trying to provide hard data in the legislative battle in Wisconsin.

I've spent the better part of two and half years getting an education on the subject. You are all correct that it is nearly impossible to get the information from a DOT/DMV web site alone.

The MVPA web site does have a page with a link to each state DOT web site.
There are similarities in many states but many different departments involved.

We have begun to get summary data from a couple organizations that have already done similar surveys for other collector vehicles.

What often happens is too many people get involved and there is no consistant formating of questions or referance to specific statute chapter and paragraph. Beware of the thread that starts "Well I know a guy that....."
That won't get it done.

The MVPA has the organization to coordinate this effort. Coordinating state legislative efforts will become more and more important in the future as owning Military Vehicles shifts away from commercial use and adds more hobby ownership. That is what has been happened over the last 30 years. The states DOT are just starting to catch on.

Please join and support the MVPA.

Thanks

Cat Man
The thought was to get rid of all the misinformation that is out there.

Unfortunately there are a lot of people on here who don't belong to the MVPA so they can't see that info. That is why we need to have the correct info on here, with the links so people can see it and use it as needed.

Yeah it may take up a lot of space, but it would be space used for good information.

ida34

Even if we were able to get a fully documented and indexed list of all the pertinent law for all the states five minutes later there would be another "Do I need a CDL to drive a five ton?" thread. Just posting info is not enough. The actual law must be cited so when someone has to challenge it in court they can cite the law for the judge to look it up. If you do get a ticket the paragraph number of the pertinent law will be on the ticket then you can research it to see if you were in violation an if you were not you can cite the specific citations of the law that support your argument. Law is not black and white and sometimes it boils down to the specific judge or magistrate and how he or she interprets the law. There are several LEOs on the forum and I urge you to find and talk to one from your state. Again, anyone with Michigan questions can PM me.

ALFA2

This is a good idea, but the MVD in AZ and DMV in most states usually follow a set of administrative rules, which are not a law, (even thou they should follow the existing state law...) but it is the interpretation of those internal administrative rules that the individual MVD office, and sometimes it's employees as well follow, to the best of their personal interpretation, as they feel would not later become a problem for them personally.
This is why if a person goes to MVD office in one urban location, and asks a title question, he will get a definitive official opinion, as to how to proceed. Same person goes to a rural county some 200 mi away, in the same state, to another MVD office and repeats the question about a title, he will get a very different, also definitive official answer, very possibly much more usable one, in processing a title application to obtain a title. Depending on the state, the system of title offices is set up with a great diversity of autonomy of the MVD office managers, some have a lot of interpretive discretion, and some have very little, or are explicitly told by the Main office, how to interpret issues in question, based on a study, or a pilot project by the main MVD office. It has been practical experience, that some very busy offices will do almost anything they can, to deny/turn away applications for most customers, just to reduce work load on them self's, while some other offices are interested to show the large number of customers that they had each day, to get a budget override increase justified, or an expansion that they have previously applied for.

To be able to navigate this strange but necessary process, the most accurate, timely and practical titling/registration information that is actually usable, is always available from most states used vehicle licensed dealers, who have to be notified of local and periodic changes in rules and implementation of local MVD policy, since they are going to be using it the most, and they are regulated by MVD to do so correctly. A local automotive recyclers' association is also in the loop for any changes and rulings that affect titling, and registrations, inspections and fees as it related to used, and "returning to service vehicles" in your state.
To make this work correctly one needs to find a licensed used car/truck dealer, who is friendly and is willing to share this information with others, it is not secret, and in most states not even confidential, just not for general public's knowledge.

Between dealers and recyclers there must be one in every state, some are members of this great site, and hopefully, some may want to help their fellow Steel Solders with a little usable info.

Titling and registration is not equivalent to actual use, and does not in any way prevent tickets, or other operator induced problems...

Hopefully this helps some.

ALFA2

greenjeepster

Another problem you would have is that a lot of states don't have a DMV. Vehicle registration is done by the county clerks county, by county. Each county has their own set of rules.

A few of us learned this very well when we went to pick up trucks from Frankfort. The county I live in issued temp plates, counties near by would not. I had to jump through all kinds of hoops on the taxes and guys in other counties did not....