• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Vehicle Reg. requirements page.

Mike_L

Wow, this is a good idea but would be difficult to administer. In Indiana you have the choice of regular or Military Vehicle registration. The BMV site doesn't address MV registration (called "chapter 14" here). You have to search for the code that addresses MV registration. You'll find it on the legislative pages, not BMV pages. Even on the MVPA site, our Indiana link takes you to the regular BMV site.

Even then, each office seems to have it's own interpretation of it. My local office was all mixed up on it. Persistence, patience, and a lot of calls to Indianapolis finally won over. Even now, there are aspects of the MV code that aren't properly observed due to their inability to adapt the current registration system. There are other stipulations to registering via MV that aren't written in the code. Sometime I think they are making this stuff up when I talk to them but as someone posted, some of that may be internal policies affecting their interpretations. Others I've talked to say their local offices are squared away on MVs, mine wasn't. I think because mine was the first MV they tried to register as a MV vs. regular registration.

Still, a good idea but it would take a lot of input from members of each state, someone to "fact check," distill conjecture from law, and consolidate it to an authoritative post. In the end I think most of it would be everyone sharing their experiences.

gunit

i was told by an indiana state trooper no problem if its a personal vehicle, but he knew of a few that were a bit more serious about it and you would have to prove it wasnt commercial. called 3 state post in VA where i travel alot, 2 told me no problem if its a personal vehicle 1 said if it was over 14 or 15000 lbs you needed a cdl. called 2 post in KY, neither called back, it tells me it depends on who your dealing with at time of the stop. nobody could tell me about stopping at weigh stations

jdknech

i have been to the indiana bmv 3 times now(1 1/2 hour wait every time:evil:) and i took a copy of the code every time(in-9-18-14) and they have told me every time that, they have never heard of it, and i am S*** out of luck!! but they said that they could regester it historical...... i also called indy 2 times and got the same thing:roll:

paulfarber

A simple table with States on one axis and columns for general requirements would be the best starts.

Columns could be:

Can Reg without Title
Min Age for Classic
Min Age for Antique
Class of License Req
etc
etc
etc

<rant>The MVPA is a jeep club. I wouldn't join again no matter what.</rant>

Welder Sam

As difficult as its been to get Ar info, being frm glendale,Az, i cant imagine the hoop,loops, and rings of fire one would have to ballet thru to reg/drive an mv there... it must get some really wild looks tho!!