• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

vehicle security

D T

these trucks are popular ,for the axels,one of the off road magazines had one they were tricking out and it got stolen

edpdx

Thanks for all the input so far. My son has an alarm in his camaro that sports switches on the hood and doors and will even go off if it senses someone touching it. There is a very bright led on the dash that seems to be a strong deterrent for those with weaker conviction.

I know people will get it if they really want it. An alarm like that can't hurt. It seems during the hunting season, when my trucks sits alone for days in the sticks while I'm out, only the desperate or foolish would be stupid enough to attempt to break-in when everyone in the woods has a firearm with a scope.

I'll get a new ignition lock installed and a reasonably priced alarm and hope for the best... or a clear shot from the ridge :wink:.

oldMan99

Originally Posted by 319
Also, i'd take a wild guess that installing devices that may cause harm to individuals attempting to steal your vehicle is illegal.

it may be in michigan but here in texas its not. thanks. mark
It is called a "Man trap" and it is illegal in almost every state.

Be it legal or not, it is an excellent way to end up with a civil suit that will cost you more than you paid for your Decue even if you win.

2cents

Last edited:

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is called a "Man trap" and it is illegal in almost every state.

Be it legal or not, it is an excellent way to end up with a civil suit that will cost you more than you paid for your Decue even if you win.

2cents
Yes, especially if after FINDING the body on the ground YOU CALL THE COPS ON YOURSELF.

If you do a 'man trap' as oldMan99 called it, and some one trips it you have two options.

1) dial 911 - and all that entails

2) S3

AND it's NOT illegal in every state. Most states that consider it illegal probably don't allow CCW as well. That's sixteen states right there.

But out in the West it was considered a hanging offense if you stole a mans horse. That is still true to this day on many levels. You mess with a man's property, you pay the price.

markg

Yes, especially if after FINDING the body on the ground YOU CALL THE COPS ON YOURSELF.

If you do a 'man trap' as oldMan99 called it, and some one trips it you have two options.

2) S3

AND it's NOT illegal in every state. Most states that consider it illegal probably don't allow CCW as well. That's sixteen states right there.

But out in the West it was considered a hanging offense if you stole a mans horse. That is still true to this day on many levels. You mess with a man's property, you pay the price.
my point is

ehuppert

Looks like a whole lot of ho ha over a older vehicle that is NOT on the ten most stolen list and probably never was!

Change the ign cyl and door locks and be done with it. Unless you're installing a high end stereo or other niceties i wouldn't go much further than that! (IMHO)

Alarms and such on older vehicles signifies that something worthwhile is inside, hello broken windows etc.

Then again, i live in the sticks....

eric

xenocath

searching.............
But seriously it is our responsibility to protect the masses from their own foolishness, somedays i feel like i am driving a booby trap lol or at best a practical joke gone awry:p maybe a written warning about how one of these vehicles may affect your sanity not to mention your bank account would deter would be thieves.

Milbikes

Back in the late seventies, early eighties, I was a young biker working construction in Phoenix AZ. It was common knowledge to us that you didn't go in certain areas and mess with other folks' property...or you may well disappear and never be found. There is a LOT of desert to get "lost" in...especially when under 3' of sand and gravel.

It was also common knowledge to stay off of any Native American lands unless invited. They had their own police force as well, and if you got in trouble on their land, they had jurisdiction over your sorry hide.

Now older and wiser, there isn't much personal property I would value more than human life to the point of causing severe harm (Medium harm may be ok ;-). The value of family members is another matter, and that is another story.

oldMan99

2) S3

I'm sorry, that is not correct in any way. For instance, Florida (The first state to allow/issue CCW and the state with the most other states recognizing reciprocity) Does not allow man traps, nor do a majority of the other CCW states. (Do some actual investigation and you will learn this).

As Tom Selleck in Quigley Down Under said, "This ain't Toombstone and you ain't Wyatt Earp" (Or something very close to that). You are correct, horse thieves were frequently hung. By people, in person. Not by a surprise nonattended automatic hanging machine.

There are lots of problems with your logic, not the least of which is that your trap is unattended and can accidently cause injury or death to an innocent person.

Once set you have no control over how or what circumstances the trap is triggered. What if your MV catches fire and the fireman attempting to put out the fire sets off your trap and gets hurt or killed?

I would be really surprised if setting a man trap is legal in any state.

Further, in todays society where a robber breaking into a house can sue the home owner because he got cut on the window glass that he broke to get into the house, and actually win and get money from the homeowner, do you really think that you will not get sued for setting a man trap to on purpose injure somebody? How much do you think your legal defense will cost you? I bet more than you paid for your MV... :cookoo:

I believe this is quickly getting well off topic and also dangerously close to a political discussion which is by board rules not allowed.

I'll close this particular line of discussion by saying this:

"Contact your lawyer and ask him, do not believe what you read on the internet, especially when your life, freedom and financial future may well be at stake"

Old Man 99 - out.

Now, weren't we talking about realistically reasonable ways to secure your vehicle from theft?

How about "The club" or one of those big locking "C" clamp things that go from the steering wheel to the brake pedal?

Last edited:

Milbikes

I say put a coin-operated box on it, with the instructions to insert $100 in quarters to start the truck. That ought to keep the bad guys out!

edpdx

Well I am not sure that a mild attention getting shock constitutes a man trap anymore than an electric fence does. The alarm plans I had had various jolts it could be set to deliver. I expect that the amount of trouble the police (or civil case attorney) could charge you with is entirely commensurate with the amount of pain and suffering, perceived by a judge, that has been inflicted. A locked door, be it on a house, a business or car, is a De facto statement that says you may not enter. We are all told not to take, even touch what does not belong to us; but there is a groundswell of political correctness that allows the wrong to bring suit against the victim these days.

I guess I'd rather lock the vehicle to my best ability and make entry and theft as difficult as possible. If someone breaks a window and steals any or all, I have insurance to cover some of it. If I do nothing and even leave my door unlocked so as not to return to a broken window, I feel as though I am inviting trouble. Not only that but it is, after all, my car. If I have to drive it around and rely on simply not hauling my valuables along with me so I won't leave anything for some loser to steal, I have already given in. I sure as **** am not going to live that way. an alarm may not deter anyone from breaking in; lock doors on these trucks are easy enough to get through with a pocket knife through the wing-window. At least an alarm has a deterring element that may make a theif give up before he does too much damage- or steals every last thing. If I hear my alarm going off, you can be sure that I will be on site in short order... and not unprepared.

jongainey

As stated before I use a logging chain with a hd padlock that is bolted to the floor under the seat and to the steering wheel and i also changed out the cores also on all the locks. not saying that's the best but also of you want a lil extra i would go with a padlock on the hood and just taking the ground off the batteries if i was going to leave it somewhere for a while. i do that anyways with mine if its going to be sitting for longer than a week or two. anyways that's my 2cents

McCluskey

Switching out all the locks, install an alarm that will go off someway. Broken glass, tilt, or pressure sensor on the seats. That combined with some kind of kill-switch should be enough to deter them long enough for them to get frustrated.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I let the Judge watch over my trucks. This is from 9 feet with the 410 PDX1 shell. Three copper disc and 10 BB. The second is from 12 feet and you can see the spread comming in but still most would be in center mass.
A close up of the copper disc from 9 feet.

Attachments

OL AG '89

I use the chain and an alarm.....
I figure anything else is redundant
haven't changed cores out .... yet maybe one day
I dont keep anything of value inside truck so they will open doors alarm goes off figure they spend 30 seconds rifleing through the nothing in there and move on
If I'm lucky enough to hear the alarm...... the police, responding to a shots fired call, will start with questioning the lone survivor and I will answer all questions as required!!!!

dragon1124

For security I just use the steering wheel chain, which is both welded and bolted to the seat frame, the brake pedal club, which basically stops the brake pedal from being pushed down to shift from park. I also have a 24/7 hd night vision camera pointed at my parking spots <of course doesnt help if they are masked>

A

A/C Cages

I just put a naked picture of myself on the dashboard, as soon as the thief gets into my truck they see it and run out screaming like a little girl hystericaly down the street. The cops pick them up hours later still screaming,,,,," My eyes... My Eyes.."