• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Vent Lines

Action

If the vent lines end up at the air filter canister, wouldn't there be a chance for that to create suction in certain conditions?

Action

“Under certain circumstances”. Snow covering mushroom cap, mushroom cap pushed on too far, etc.
but then i guess the engine wouldnt start anyways.

papakb

To avoid that exact problem I stuck an aquarium airstone in the end of the vent line where it enters the filter cannister. That way it can breath but no water can get in.

blutow

“Under certain circumstances”. Snow covering mushroom cap, mushroom cap pushed on too far, etc.
but then i guess the engine wouldnt start anyways.
Even if there were situations where a vacuum on the vent lines happened, would it do any harm? I guess if it was strong enough, you could pull some air or water through seals (theoretically), but that would need to be some serious suckage.

Do any of the vent lines enter below fluid levels? If so, maybe you could pull some fluid up a little, but again you'd need to have some air coming in from somewhere or the hubs/diffs would just be under continuous equalized vacuum (not sucking anything up).

I think it would be like putting a vacuum pump on the top of a bottle. As long as the bottle is sealed and rigid, the vacuum can't pull the liquid out of the bottle if the vacuum point is higher than the fluids (unless you get the vacuum so extreme if boils the liquids).

All that said, I know very little about HMMVW's and don't know how these particular vent systems work, so I'm just talking in concepts and what I know about venting on regular differentials.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree under anything but very odd conditions it won't result in a vacuum, it is just to pull air off the hubs and so on to prevent them building pressure and failing seals and perhaps bring a little moisture/vapor out at the same time.
BDGR

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks