• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Vent Window Question

Zeus51

Did the M1008 originally have a one piece or two piece vent window seal?

These days does it matter as long as all of the pieces are purchased together?

What’s the best brand/site for weatherstripping these days (I know this is a long asked question but just looking for some updated opinions)?

cucvrus

I believe 1 piece GM vent window seal. I have a few GM ones brand new. I never wanted to drill the rivet out and use one of them. I jet cleaned the rubbers up really well and oiled the hinges and reused them. As long as they are NOT painted. Painted ones I salvaged parts from. Good Luck.

Zeus51

I believe 1 piece GM vent window seal. I have a few GM ones brand new. I never wanted to drill the rivet out and use one of them. I jet cleaned the rubbers up really well and oiled the hinges and reused them. As long as they are NOT painted. Painted ones I salvaged parts from. Good Luck.
Thank you for the reply. I value your experience with these things. My vent windows have always leaked. I pulled mine out of the truck to really look at it and it appears to be a two piece. So now I’m confused. Did someone put the wrong vent seals in and that’s why it leaks? What is a good brand to buy?

cucvrus

I guess they can be both ways. I doubt they kept CUCV vent windows to 1984 specifications. A few things changed over the years and the vent seals was one of them.

muttly

I replaced the vent seals on my '86 m1008 and they were the two piece style like in the video. I will be replacing the vent seals on my newly acquired m1009 this weekend. The replacement rivets are available on ebay and are really no trouble to set. Just go slow and be careful you are playing with glass.

muttly

Did the M1008 originally have a one piece or two piece vent window seal?

These days does it matter as long as all of the pieces are purchased together?

What’s the best brand/site for weatherstripping these days (I know this is a long asked question but just looking for some updated opinions)?
They were two piece and so are the ones for my 85 m1009. The company I ordered them from sent one piece seals originally but they would not work with my windows. The correct seals were like the ones in the video, one straight piece and one squashed ell shaped piece. Texas trucks had seals as crispy as well done bacon.

Zeus51

They were two piece and so are the ones for my 85 m1009. The company I ordered them from sent one piece seals originally but they would not work with my windows. The correct seals were like the ones in the video, one straight piece and one squashed ell shaped piece. Texas trucks had seals as crispy as well done bacon.
Haha! Most of my seals were so crispy they have already flaked off. The truck whistles down the road.

cruzer747

great info! Anyone know if the seals for the latches are available separately? Thankfully my vents are in good shape but she sure is a whistler when it is cold out.

muttly

great info! Anyone know if the seals for the latches are available separately? Thankfully my vents are in good shape but she sure is a whistler when it is cold out.
Yes I bought latch seals separate, they were kind of a fits all kit. Man those thing must be shrieking like a Stuka if you can hear them over the engine and rattling!

cucvrus

I fix things all the time for myself and others. Everything don't require special made to order parts. Loose wing window latches can be easily fixed with off the shelf hardware store parts and the end repair is not even noticeable. Many times on older trucks I get a concern on whistling wing windows and vents. I use a common garden hose washer and punch the roll pin out and clean and grease everything and install a hose washer between the latch handle and the glass. Instant results and the glass seals tighter and quieter. Hey if the other isolators in the latch to glass are good. let them remain and I guarantee instant results with little or no cost. You can buy a card of them for .99. Hey Red Green Yellow or Black. Quick permanent fix and exact size. Trim the ears off if they bother you. They never did me. Good Luck.

Attachments

cucvrus

Right now I am elbow deep in overhauling 2 sets of the vent windows and the vent window latches. I used a finishing nail to drive the roll pin from the latch handle. I may visit the hardware store and check if an 1/8" roll pin punch will fit. I have a 1/16" punch and that is to small and flimsy to do the job. I have them all out and ordered 2 sets of vent window seals and 2 sets of vent window latches. The shame is I will be tossing the chrome handles in the scrap bin and reusing the black OEM vent handles. But with all the other parts and seal new I think it will work out well. I will keep you all posted on my Decade wrecked thread. And copy the post here so others can use the information to assist in rebuilding the vent windows. These little windows have a lot more than meets the eye. Be Safe and Good Luck in your projects.

cucvrus

My new wing vent seal/rubbers have arrived. They look really good and I think they will fit fine. More later. Take Care and Be Safe. DSCF7090.JPGDSCF7091.JPGDSCF7092.JPGDSCF7093.JPGNot sure if CN is China or Canada. Don't care as long they fit and seal the windows. Maybe Chattanooga.

Zeus51

My new wing vent seal/rubbers have arrived. They look really good and I think they will fit fine. More later. Take Care and Be Safe. View attachment 793602View attachment 793603View attachment 793604View attachment 793605Not sure if CN is China or Canada. Don't care as long they fit and seal the windows. Maybe Chattanooga.
Those are the exact ones I went with. They worked great! I’ve heard that the vent windows and weatherstripping was a bear. And they sure were right! Haha!

cucvrus

I drilled the rivets out of mine ans will be using truss bolts to reassemble them. I want to pick up some silicone spray. I will post my results. Be Safe.

Ozarks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I fix things all the time for myself and others. Everything don't require special made to order parts. Loose wing window latches can be easily fixed with off the shelf hardware store parts and the end repair is not even noticeable. Many times on older trucks I get a concern on whistling wing windows and vents. I use a common garden hose washer and punch the roll pin out and clean and grease everything and install a hose washer between the latch handle and the glass. Instant results and the glass seals tighter and quieter. Hey if the other isolators in the latch to glass are good. let them remain and I guarantee instant results with little or no cost. You can buy a card of them for .99. Hey Red Green Yellow or Black. Quick permanent fix and exact size. Trim the ears off if they bother you. They never did me. Good Luck.
I know this is almost a year old but I just discovered it ... THANK YOU! One quick question ... do you slip the washer over the cylinder that the handle attaches to or between that cylinder and the glass? Thanks,

Ozarks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I disassemble and use it between the lock and glass on the inside. I hope that answers your question.
I believe it does ... one more, do you still use the “spring” washer that is standard with the latch? Again, really appreciate the help!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks