• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

very hard shifting into 4L

drewzee87t

Hi,

I have checked TM's and can't seem to find how to adjust or troubleshoot shifter linkage. I have a very difficult time shifting in or out of 4Low. I don't even know for sure what the correct sequence is, but it seems only in N and stopped (I might be mistaken and maybe it's only in park) can it be switched and then it's a serious yank to get it in and difficult to get back out. I have only used 4L a couple times in the 6+ years I have had this truck.

If anyone can point me to the right TM section or has some advice on adjusting linkage or troubleshooting hard engagement I would appreciate it. Also, just an idiot question but to clarify should it be able to go into 4L in park and neutral or just one or the other please advise.

Thanks

kblazer87

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stopped and in neutral for 4 low engagement. Putting it in reverse prior to neutral before shifting out of 4 low may help with hard disengagement as it should relieve driveline binding if that is part of the problem

Chaski

There should be shifting instructions on the visor.

I come to a full stop, put the transmission in neutral, and then shift the transfer case. Sometimes it helps to roll a foot or two while shifting. Also, it is a 30 year old transfer case with plastic tips on the shift forks. It isn't a bad idea to invest in a rebuild kit & replace the fork tips, bearings and seals one weekend.

EDIT...
Forgot that those have an NP205. The 205 does not have plastic tips on the shift forks as far as I know.

Last edited:

drewzee87t

Hi Chaski - I have a blue visor.

I guess I should take this conversation to some other forum. I don't even know how, nor does any TM I have seen suggest how, to troubleshoot the issue. A nice little rebuild and all that is probably a good idea. You have any info on what's involved? Thanks for the info about the truck being old.

Skinny

I'm assuming your M1028 has an NP205 tcase? If so, you just need to shift it like you hate it. The more you exercise the linkage the easier it will go but they are pretty clunky geardrive units. It does go against the instructions but I've found mine shifts best rolling slightly. I've done it in drive with no issue as long as you commit and shift the thing completely. If you go soft half way through the shift and get hung up the trans will grind the tcase pretty bad. The rolling really helps. Trying to shift while stationary either goes great because everything is lined up or simply doesn't work.

rustystud

I put pressure on the TC handle while putting the transmission between reverse and drive with my foot on the brakes. This rocking helps if it is sticking. I have gone with the dual stick design and it still needs help sometimes.

royalflush55

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try stopping on level ground transmission in neutral. Now kill the engine and shift transfer case firmly. Shifts without grinding this way in and out of low range. There is a grease zert on the shifter pivot on the 205 case also.

drewzee87t

THanks for all the helpful replies. I think I will check out the grease situation and then start banging it hard and often to see if it loosens up. A little lube and hard banging seems to help with these things. If not, I will do a twin stick on it. I really would like to get a twin with the modified rails to allow front wheel only as I use the truck mostly for firewood and around the farm. It would be really helpful to have front wheel if you get stuck in some trees and can't seem to get a turn radius. Ask me how I know....:)

regards,

rustystud

THanks for all the helpful replies. I think I will check out the grease situation and then start banging it hard and often to see if it loosens up. A little lube and hard banging seems to help with these things. If not, I will do a twin stick on it. I really would like to get a twin with the modified rails to allow front wheel only as I use the truck mostly for firewood and around the farm. It would be really helpful to have front wheel if you get stuck in some trees and can't seem to get a turn radius. Ask me how I know....:)

regards,
Like I said, I have the twin sticks and it still is hard to shift sometimes. You just have to find out what works for you.

richingalveston

Twin sticks make no difference. They are hard to shift until they are worn out.
switching to 4x4
Truck in neutral.
front hubs locked. Does no good to roll the truck if he hubs are unlocked.
A slight hill helps because you want a real slow roll but still being in neutral.

When going to two wheel drive I find it helps to unlock the hubs, run in reverse a few feet, put truck in neutral then try to shift the transfer case.

Mine goes real easy when I follow those steps. Otherwise I jerk on it also.

Twin sticks you have to switch things in order, there is a lockout mechanism.

I find a front locker is probably more valuable than twin stick. Rear lock is a must but your truck should already have that.

86m1028

Which t-case do you have 205 or 208 ?

Edit: didn't see 2nd page, assuming its a 205.

Lube shifter pivot, you can also modify the rails (little grinding on the detent notches) to make it shift easier.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks