• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Very High Oil Pressure.

oldshep

Last week my oil pressure wasn't really too low or too high but was just acting funny on the gauge. So today I changed oil and filters. Now the pressure at cold idle is 60 psi and will go up to 90psi when the engine is ran faster. In the past ive noticed the pressure will go up to 60psi while driving but will never go past.
Now Im worried seals may blow out or something while im driving. I all ready replaced my gauge with a mechanical gauge to rule it out as the problem. Oil pressure regulator? Thanks.

Westech

CPL
could be. There is a spring in there. ITs ez to change out. I would not worry about 90 PSI your not going to blow seals. seals hold back the oil while not under pressure.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ditto, check the dash gauge against a known good mechanical gauge.

WOLFMAN1

i have a m35 gasser and my oil gage does the same thing. runs at 60 psi and while driving it goes up to 90psi. ni checked my oil and it is always at the same level. it needs a tune up and probably an oil change. anyone know where i can get a oil filter for an old gasser.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are two regulators in that thingie. It ought to be taken off, given a good cleaning, oiled up, and put back on.

oldshep

Yeah I'll likely take it off. The TM shows a mounting gasket. Would RTV silicone be ok it its place? Ive used it alot before.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would not use rtv on that. A clean new gasket would be best, and you may be fine reusing the original gasket.

There are instructions in the TMs on how to R&R the pressure regulator. I posted that info in post#8. This same info was given to you a year ago.

I don't know what you are seeing with your pressure issues but, It is perfectly normal to see an increase in oil pressure with an oil change. Also perfectly normal to have the oil pressure drop some, when the engine is warmed up. Also normal that the pressure drops low at idle.

Some engines stay high, and some drop or vary.

There are two oil pressure gauges available with different ranges. The original was 0-60, the newer ones were 0-120psi.

Have you confirmed you do not have fuel contamination in your oil? Is your FDC bypassed?

Last edited:

oldshep

I have the TM in printed form and on CD and have done some studying on the reg.. Drove it today. Not really too worried about the pressure anymore. Had 25psi when warmed up at idle and 60-70 going down the highway at 2500rpm. My dash gauge is mechanical by the way.
On this oil change i switched from Rotella to Mobil Delvac 15-40. Who knows maybe its better stuff. Fdc is bypassed and its not ''making'' oil. Maybe it was all in my head but if i do find that something is amiss I'll post it up.

jollyroger

My guage is the 0-60 and the truck peggs the guage all the time. Sometimes when it's cold out the engine makes 50 psi until the truck warms up enough to idle properly, more than 500 rpm, then it heads north to peg at 60.

99nouns

I have the TM in printed form and on CD and have done some studying on the reg.. Drove it today. Not really too worried about the pressure anymore. Had 25psi when warmed up at idle and 60-70 going down the highway at 2500rpm. My dash gauge is mechanical by the way.
On this oil change i switched from Rotella to Mobil Delvac 15-40. Who knows maybe its better stuff. Fdc is bypassed and its not ''making'' oil. Maybe it was all in my head but if i do find that something is amiss I'll post it up.
I hate it when "other people's problems sort them selves out" then I get to learn nothing...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks