• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Very poor experience with "The Gathering IX" in Louisville

JCKnife

Gimpy had told me that this event was going to be here in August so of course I was looking forward to it. The only publicity I could find was in a local paper called "The Voice." Listed no schedule, just a contact phone number and an e-mail. I called the number, it was no longer in service. I e-mailed asking for a schedule, got no reply.

SO, loaded up the kids this morning and took the 40-minute drive downtown to the hotel the event was at. Right at the moment we got there all three trucks left.

I was and am pretty pissed about it. Very poor publicity for this event. If it's meant to be a private event, then don't publicize it or do make it clear that it's invitation only. The more I think about it and as I'm cooling off, I don't think the organizers intended to ruin the day for me and the kids. I just think they were inconsiderate.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ralbelt, it it's like 90% of the other MV events, I would say if you got there early enough, you might catch a glimps of the last pair of taillights getting smaller in the distance. The exception to this for the most part are the Steel Soldiers Rallies. Most of the folks at Steel Soldiers Rallies depart on Sunday. The other MV shows folks have a large Saturday departure.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i was there around 4 years ago.. has a blast with over 10 trucks and hundreds of guys. that was a great time i had . meet some of the best guys in the world. hoping to go again:beer:

ARYankee

Ralbelt, it it's like 90% of the other MV events, I would say if you got there early enough, you might catch a glimps of the last pair of taillights getting smaller in the distance. The exception to this for the most part are the Steel Soldiers Rallies. Most of the folks at Steel Soldiers Rallies depart on Sunday. The other MV shows folks have a large Saturday departure.
I would agree with this as well. Most of the Arkansas MVPA events (well the 2 big ones) mainly end on Saturday. I think its because the folks that organize it are retired and don't work Monday thru Friday.

ralbelt

I better come up with plan B, no way I can get these little troopers on the road to be there by 9.
And whoever is there on Sunday will be packing up by 11.:-(

zout

JCknife - give yourself a reprieve - COME TO THE GA RALLY - you will NOT be disappointed. If you do its your own fault.
This Rally Rules.

two.fiveM35

If you arent happy about it, be a participant or be involved in the planning of it for next year. The rallies I've gone to are for me, I'll go, have fun and socialize. I'm more than happy to show my truck to anyone that wants to look. But at some point I'm ready to go home and unless someone paid me to be there

JCKnife

Priority #1 right now is to do the front axle boot repair. I'm guessing if I had shown up in the deuce today instead of a F-150 they would have stuck around a minute.

I have a parade coming up Sept 15th.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
JCknife - give yourself a reprieve - COME TO THE GA RALLY - you will NOT be disappointed. If you do its your own fault.
This Rally Rules.
Concurred. There is a Bluegrass contingent coming south for the rally.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
HAY, the trucks have been here since thursday, we have been convoying to different things, this morning we went to the frazer museum, then convoyed back to the temp AO. no need to get PISSED off, we all are pulling out tomorrow morning.

This is a GUNTRUCK, plus a VIETNAM transportation (driver) GATHERING (event ), NOT, I repeat NOT a SS event. ALL the info is on the GUNTRUCK site. there has been some threads talking about this on SS

there has been a PB sighting.

sorry for the spelling, NO SPEEL CHECK, so live with it

Last edited:

Srjeeper

Your bad...!!

I'm still here, have been since Thurday and have had a wonderful time with some really great veteran friends and their familys.

Just because the trucks pulled out didn't mean it was over.

You should have come inside, looked around and spoke with most of the Gun Truckers that were still here. There was a hospitality room full of Gun Truckers, photo albums and John had his computer set up with videos. They could have told you where the trucks were being displayed that day.

If you left, then you made the mistake, not those at the Gathering. There's posts in the upcoming event section with info, on the Gun Truck site, and on G503.

Ya shoulda stuck around because the trucks didn't head for home till today....Your Bad!!

WarrenD

Last year when I was planning on making the 4.5 hour trip from CT to the PA Gathering site, I asked questions about the schedule, where they would be and when. The responses were very helpful and I was able to plan my trip. I found the entire group to be very friendly and more than ready to welcome any "outsider".
All you had to do was ask the questions in the proper thread here and they would have given you the info you needed. No need to blame anyone but yourself.

m816

Sorry you missed it. The Gathering ran from Aug 3 to the 7th. It is a long ride for the trucks and their owners. Most of whom have commitments and or jobs to return to. The schedules are posted on SS and at the Vietnam guntruck site over on multiply. We are a gathering of brothers and their families. We also welcome all veterns and anyone else who would like to share a great time with some great guys. Next years gathering has not been established yet as far as I am aware of but we would welcome you and your family to visit us then. A lot of the trucks that have been there in previous years could not participate this year for various reasons besides the high cost of fuel. Hopefully things will get better next year. Vinny ( Owner of the Untouchable)

Guntrucker

Gimpy had told me that this event was going to be here in August so of course I was looking forward to it. The only publicity I could find was in a local paper called "The Voice." Listed no schedule, just a contact phone number and an e-mail. I called the number, it was no longer in service. I e-mailed asking for a schedule, got no reply.

SO, loaded up the kids this morning and took the 40-minute drive downtown to the hotel the event was at. Right at the moment we got there all three trucks left.

I was and am pretty pissed about it. Very poor publicity for this event. If it's meant to be a private event, then don't publicize it or do make it clear that it's invitation only. The more I think about it and as I'm cooling off, I don't think the organizers intended to ruin the day for me and the kids. I just think they were inconsiderate.
For future reference; Information and links for more Vietnam Gun Truck information is at www.VietnamGunTrucks.com
On saturday AM the Trucks left the hotel for an appearance/display in the Lousiville area.
Sorry we missed you there!
Dan
Psychotic Reaction Gun Truck

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
JCKnife, I'm sorry you and your family felt left out but
I assure you no one had that intent.

The hotel was an assembly/RON area for the Guntrucks and we launched from there to other display sites. When the trucks rolled out, most of the Guntruckers were still at the hotel socializing.

I wish you had dismounted your vehicle and asked around a little for info, you would have been told where the Guntrucks were headed and when they would return.
The Guntruckers left at the hotel would have welcomed you and kept you busy until the trucks returned I'm sure.

Yes, you missed a chance to meet some REALLY fine Americans but I can't see where you should be angry at them.:beer:

Attachments

Recht71

JCKnife Sorry you and the family missed us , we spend lot of money and time to educate people about Guntrucks. If you

would of just went in the hotel you would of found we were only 20 munites away. I see someone has posted the Gun Truck site you can see whats happening..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks