• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Very Special Chevy

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just posted this at the end (at least for now) of another long thread and thought it deserved it's own thread.

1948 Chevy 3800 1 Ton NAPCO, Rare 9 ft extra long bed. 47,000 original miles. Never been registered for the road since new. Has original seat cover. Still 6 volt system. Original wood in the bed. Have all paperwork since new including original keys, service booklet (with oil change tickets still attached) and owners manual. Original split rims, 1950's Goodyears (still in great shape). Has heater and dual horn chevy options as well as the dual tail light option as well. Most of the paint is original, you can still see the original white pinstrips around the cab and on the grille. These pinstripes were done by chevy at the factory. It also has original warn hubs.

Truck is not Military, the PTO winch on the front is - Braden MU2. Some believe it to be the oldest civilian upfitted chevy in existance. Of course there were military chevy 4x4's prior to this. Not civilian.

Chevy and GMC first offered 4x4 as an option in 1956. They bought most all of the production of NAPCO to accomplish this. Prior to 56 all chevy's or GMC's were upfitted with a NAPCO or other kit such as Marmon Herrington. There were several other kits as well. NAPCO kits were fitted to some Fords and Studebakers as well. Fords of that era typically got a Marmon Herrington kit.

I found this truck in Hemmoings Motor News years ago on a ranch in WA. It had been stored in a barn since 1979, started every year though.

1st 2 photos are of truck on the ranch just prior to my puchase of it.

Last edited:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I love it.

91W350

I vote for a 1970 Monte in the driveway...

Anyway, that is an awesome truck! I had a 1957 SNB, 1957 1/2 ton Suburban, 1958 SNB, 1958 3/4 ton LNB and a 1959 LWB Napco converted Chevrolets. Locally I also knew of a There is a NAPCO enthusiast site.... The Napco Owners Group Personal Website Links

I have seen a couple of earlier NAPCO conversions, one thing that I always found interesting was the use of equal differentials, if you had a 3/4 truck, it had a front pumpkin just like the rear one. On the old Chevrolets, they used a long spacer block, to make up the height difference as the frames were straight rails. Their weakness off road was the long front drive line. It was itching to be bent. Typically the transfer case had a drop for the front drive line and it was a straight shot to the pinion, easily the lowest point between the back of the rear tire and the transfer case. Enjoy your ride, they are a super truck! I really liked the following 1957 Chevrolet Promo. Glen

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5LYTkRjdno[/media]

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is in such original condition that it may be worth more than if it were restored. If restoration does take place it will be very faithfull. All original colors, cloth covered wires ect.

By the way the bed rails are both straight as an arrow. Tailget is dented along the top. This truck is the holy grail of NAPCO's.

Car on the side of the NAPCO is an all numbers matching, cowl induction 70 SS396 El Camino in Chevy Hugger Orange. Sold 3 years.

The NAPCO is hidden away safely at this time for good reason. Truck is fully functional (except the brakes, they go to the floor).

91W350

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been a member of the NAPCO owners Group since they had their early website. It don't have any pictures of the truck up there nor do I post much. The truck has been refered to several times in various posts.

Glen, your description is accurate for this truck as well. If you look at the cover of the NAPCO maint and parts manual for the Advanced Design (AD) 47 to 55 1st series trucks, you'll see that the truck in the picture is an AD like this truck. Original hubcaps on the rear only, none on the front. Truck on the manual is a 54 or 55 1st series.

And yes the 1 ton Pumpkin on rear is the same as on the front with a reverse ring and pinion.

Attachments

91W350

I had a hard time buying the bronze king pin bushings and the steering knuckle felts. When I broke a kingpin, I had to pull the housing down to a bare knuckle and take the tube to a machine shop to have a new one made. I found a street excavation at night that somebody had moved the barriers away from. That was a bone jarring thud. It actually bounced over the other side, one set of wheels on both sides.

Everything else was pretty easy to come across. They had a super heavy duty tie rod that generally the weight of the rod would drag it down to where it rubbed on the top of the pinion snout. Never could tell it hurt anything... It would be fun to work on one again.

I spotted a 1957-1959 1/2 ton short bed Ford with Napco fender badges on a recent outing, I wanted to stop and see if it had a 9" front differential, I would bet my next paycheck it did. Saw a few Studes over the years, several Chevrolets, only the one Ford. Glen

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice story, that ford has to be as rare can be. Never seem one, only read about them. The front end steering is a little tight on mine. I'm looking foeward to the day I have the time to work on it.

2027Deuce

I have the same exact truck 1949 Chevy 3800 w/ 9' bed except mine is the 5 window cab. This truck is in the shop currently be taken completely apart for restoration, I am only the second owner of this truck.

When its done it will be my weekly driver. You can find alot of good information at Stovebolt.com

Nice looking truck :shock:

Attachments

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
That is a NICE find. Just out of curiosity, what kind of t-case and axles does it have? I assume it's a divorced t-case.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks