• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Very usefull M929, with battery and transfer case questions.

m929 dump truck

IMG_1125.JPGTruck with 290 cummins. Has injector pump from 335. Not so easy to swap with 250 cummins, which threw a rod out the side, tearing starter off at -20 degrees. Moved air cleaner to right side. No room for heater yet.

Put all new fuel filter system with new lines. New oil filter system. Boiled radiator and flushed transmission cooler, was needed. Should be done on any surplus truck. Put in correct anti freeze.
Added EGT. Runs up up to 925.

Transmission is shifting great.

I took the washer out so the shift does not engage front wheels in low range.

Appears that capacitor for transfer case shift is bad. Have 24 volt to capacitor, no juice leaving capacitor. Had a bare wire and shorted from lever switch at floor board one time. Capacitor is under floorboard, under transfer case lever handle when lever is down. Where can I get a new one? I can shift lever if I hit brakes until air goes down.

Also batteries would run down at night. If I take the 12 volt [569] and 24 volt [6B] small wires loose from battery, then batteries stay up. Would bad capacitor drain batteries?

Is heater fan the only 12 volt use.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I can send you a capacitor for $10 shipped. I have a few of them. It isnt required though. Simply run your wires from your transfer case shifter handle to the hot wire on the solenoid on the drivers side plate on the transmission. Cut the other solenoid wire and run it to ground on the bellhousing. Take all the air lines and crap off your transfer case and run a single line system. The video on how to do this is in the 5ton mod section for the dump bed conversion.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

m929 dump truck

Cured some problems. Transfercase switch wire goes to capacitor, then to transfer case interlock switch AND to the transmission. On the way to the trans. wire has a fork with one wire tor trans. and one wire that should have a diode going to ground. NO DIODE in the wire. Therefore when lever switch was pushed, switches got some juice, but wires got hot and tripped relay on firewall. Eliminated the wire with no diode and everything works.
Put on new alternator. Batteries are staying up.
Traced every wire and fixed worn spots.
Thanks to Simp for capacitor and advice.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks