• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Vibration isolators mep003 replacement

Razerface

I am off to work on my 003. Will that oil pan support the genny with jack under it,,or will it bust? Is there an easy trick to replacing the isolators on the feet? Looks like unbolt and rebolt, but gotta support the genny and motor so i dont cut my hands off.

Triple Jim

...gotta support the genny and motor so i dont cut my hands off.
Definitely use a good support and another backup support to be sure. I got myself trapped in one of my fork lift cylinders a few years ago, when its support slipped. My index fingers and thumbs of both hands were caught, but luckily my father and wife were home and freed me. A few stitches fixed the damage, but it was a close call. If I had been alone it would have been gruesome.

dangier

Raz
The first one I did, I used wood shims/blocks and after unbolting the two motor mounts, gently pried up with a crowbar along the edge of the mounts to just get the weight off the loosened bolts. They come out easily after that. Leave the genny mounts as is until the motor mounts are done. Then do the same with them. Don't know which mounts are bad on yours, but definitely do the worst ones first. The second one I did, unbolted everything and snatched from the big hook on the top with the four post lift and did all at once. Like Jim said, think through your plan first. Don't believe I would jack on the center of the oil pan. Good Luck!
David

Razerface

Im off to buy a bunch of new bolts. I broke all the battery frame bolts and hurt a couple of mount bolts getting the first mount off,,so i'll just go get all new bolts before hardware closes today. I found my ground strap was broken, so i need one of those too. I hope that solves some problems!

Think i should sand the frame and mount? It looks like they were just depending on some star washers to bite thru the paint for the ground strap from mount to bottom skid frame.

Razerface

All done. All ten fingers still on my hand. New mounts and new ground strap all bolted in.

The only thing that sucks is ,,now i have to go back to working on electrical. I'll go read Triple Jims instructions again. Tommorrow.