• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Vibration/Noise - Bad Transfer Case?

rustystud

I agree with "fsearls92" here. You actually need to torque them, not just put a wrench on them and assume they are tight. I had several that where "tight" but when I actually torqued them they where way off ! Also how are the 'U' joints ? When was the last time you lubed them ? Lube them now and see if it changes anything. You might have some going out on you.
Good to hear that the advice we "first" gave you worked. ;)

Corvette1974

Good to hear!! Well now I've developed a vibration that is on-off-on-off, high speed like driveshaft speed, going to check the bolts. I did find LOTS of rotational slack in the front pinion, zero up and down movement. All ujoints check out except the front one which has a very small amount of slack.
Yeah my front pinion needs new bearings, too. Definitely check those jackshaft bolts....and like was stated before, it is much easier to do from the cab after removing the panels than from the ground!

-Will

texas30cal

Will try to check jackshaft today, I've got lots of work to do first. The pinion bearings are perfect, zero movement but there is about 1/2-3/4" of slack if you turn the driveshaft back and forth (rotational), I'm suspecting there is a problem inside the differential

Corvette1974

Will try to check jackshaft today, I've got lots of work to do first. The pinion bearings are perfect, zero movement but there is about 1/2-3/4" of slack if you turn the driveshaft back and forth (rotational), I'm suspecting there is a problem inside the differential
I think that might be acceptable....my front axle has the exact same play you are describing, whereas the rear axles do not - but I think that is because of the axles being linked together.

-Will

texas30cal

I had wondered about that as well, was going to check my other truck tomorrow, thanks for checking. I'll check jackshaft first then pull front driveshaft and replace front u joint/check the rear.

texas30cal

The other trucks front driveshaft/ diff have approx the same amount of movement so the jackshaft is next. Are the snap ring type u joints listed in the quick reference the right ones for the front driveshaft?

rustystud

I think that might be acceptable....my front axle has the exact same play you are describing, whereas the rear axles do not - but I think that is because of the axles being linked together.

-Will
When you check the "backlash" on the front axle you carefully turn the flange until you "feel" it make contact with the other gear. You can feel this, you just need to turn it slowly.

tobyS

I had a similar problem with my 817 and at first thought it was axle bearings. We took the front and rear driveshafts off and ran it in gear with the TC in high and low. We noticed a slight movement on the emergency brake drum and upon checking, had about 1/16" or a bit more up and down movement that became more noticeable at the higher speed, about 30 mph it made a lot of racket.

The TC was brown, not green and appeared newer. We pulled it and discovered that all three TC shafts had a LOT of play and we also noted that this thing was new, not used much at all, but had never had the (3 jack-shaft) bearing pre-loads properly set. They all had excessive "looseness" and although new...apparently had not been set up properly. I'm not sure we would have had to remove it to set those bearing pre-loads up (using shims), but it allowed me to operate any shaft by hand and set each shaft with a light, but firm pre-loading.

Wow, what a difference. And we caught it before it even ruined the seals, made a mark on bearings or even wore the gears.

Anyway, the moral of the story would be to remove the front and rear driveshafts and run it in gear with the TC turning.

texas30cal

This transfer is newer than other components too and is also painted with reddish brown , almost like a red primer. Thanks we will check it ou

rustystud

I had a similar problem with my 817 and at first thought it was axle bearings. We took the front and rear driveshafts off and ran it in gear with the TC in high and low. We noticed a slight movement on the emergency brake drum and upon checking, had about 1/16" or a bit more up and down movement that became more noticeable at the higher speed, about 30 mph it made a lot of racket.

The TC was brown, not green and appeared newer. We pulled it and discovered that all three TC shafts had a LOT of play and we also noted that this thing was new, not used much at all, but had never had the (3 jack-shaft) bearing pre-loads properly set. They all had excessive "looseness" and although new...apparently had not been set up properly. I'm not sure we would have had to remove it to set those bearing pre-loads up (using shims), but it allowed me to operate any shaft by hand and set each shaft with a light, but firm pre-loading.

Wow, what a difference. And we caught it before it even ruined the seals, made a mark on bearings or even wore the gears.

Anyway, the moral of the story would be to remove the front and rear driveshafts and run it in gear with the TC turning.
That was a good catch ! You where so lucky, since it would not take long to destroy all the bearings and seals and shafts in a situation like that !

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks