• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

VIC-1 Question

mdemars03

So I'm looking at adding a VIC-1 system in my truck. What is a decent price for the main control and say 4 crew stations? Also is there any other piece of equipment needed? I still need to figure out what cables and how many I would need but I am taking this one step at a time. Any help is appreciated and if there is a better system than the VIC-1 without breaking the bank in cost please feel free to let me know. If someone has a complete VIC-1system (4 crew stations not necessary but need for atleast 2 people) with all the necessary cables not being used pm me and we can talk. Thanks for all the help.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
You need a AM1780 main control box. A C-2298 crew station for each person. Cables to connect them are the CX4723 which come in various lengths. A CX4720 to connect the AM1780 to power (battery) or to the MX7777 surge suppressor (but then you need some additional cables).

You will then need the H161 headset but there are some other options.

I have the AM1780 box in El Paso. I also have the C2298 boxes but not sure if I have them here in El Paso. I have a CX4720 cable. I will have to look through my cables and see if I have any spare CX4723 cables which are a little hard to find and can be quite pricey.

I think I have a spare surge suppressor but I doubt I have the special cable to connect the suppressor to the battery.

I have the Forward Observer model of the VIC1 for the M981 FISTV. It is similar but has some additional bells and whistles to enable 4 radios to be added in. That's a pretty rare system.

mdemars03

Well, if you have any parts for sale pm me and let me know. I'm sure I can work something out. Now, as far as the parts is it best to put the surge suppressor in the line up or are they ok without? This is my first time dealing with this system so I'm not too sure. I had read over your post from years ago about the cables and parts for the VIC-1 and it was really helpful, at this point I'm trying to get a system in my truck so you can actually talk to another person. With no muffler and that whistler turbo it can be a pretty noisy (but incredibly fun) drive.

mdemars03

The VIC1 is great. The H161 headsets really block out the noise. I also have a whistler.
Awesome! Glad to know those headsets will work with a whistler. From what I keep reading the VIC-1 seems to be one of the best systems to use and it doesn't seem like it is stupid expensive either.

BillIdaho

You could probably get by without the MX7777. As I recall, that device was intended to prevent the RT524 and RT246 (not to mention a few other options) from current spikes when starting/shutting off an engine. Those RT's were prone to not tolerating the variation on voltage when someone started or shut off the engine with the radio(s) on.
With just a VIC-1 system, I do believe you would be fine----but I would get into the habit of shutting down the VIC-1 before either starting or shutting off your engine.

mdemars03

Thanks for the info. If I will be fine without I will leave it out for now. Possibly in the future if I get a radio I will add it in. For now I'm mainly going just for the VIC-1 to help keep some of the cost down.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
(And technically speaking, I think the MX7777 becomes an MX7778 once you attach the cables to it.)
(?)
Sorry but no. The MX7778 is a totally different suppressor. It does the same function but is shaped differently. In person, I've only seen 2 and I own one of those two. The MX7778 is the one pictured below with the connection points both on the same side. The MX7777 has one connection point on each side of the suppressor.

This is all contrary to the place where I got the photo of the MX7777 below. Those "EXPERTS" are claiming it is a MX7778. Maybe they need to hire me.

Attachments

mdemars03

Well, I found everything for a complete VIC-1 system. Hopefully this weekend I will have a chance to try and hook it up and see if I can get it working. I got a complete set with 2 crew stations and a headset. Next on my list is to find a radio to add in to the set up. Thanks for all help!!

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
250 includes the mount. I have an antenna (just the antenna) and a handmike I can throw in.

PM me if you want it and we can set up a meet.