• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

VIC 3 intermittent voice drop ???

vitamink

Hello I have a VIC 3 system that i'm having some issues with. The sound on it is spectacular with the exception of about every minute or two the person talking will sound choppy then it'll go to static, then you can talk again. It's really odd. I have 2 squawk boxes (full function crew stations) and the light vehicle master control station (same size as the FFCS only has 1 knob). I've checked different headsets from gentex to bose to pelter comtac and different bail out cables for each. Obviously it's either the MCS, one of the FFCS, or a highway cable…BTW i've also swapped power cables and different radio mounts and it's not that either. Has anyone had this happen, and if so, what was the solution. For the 50 seconds or so that it works out of every minute it works awesome.

BTW if anyone knows where i can buy the gun ring squawk box mount for a hmmwv let me know :)

mm58

Just a shot in the dark here, but do you have radios and antennas also connected up with your VIC system?

If so, does the noise and dropout happen when traveling at relatively fast speeds? say 35-40mph + ?

Then I would say you might be picking up static electricity from your antennas. Then maybe a discharge somewhere. Then it builds up again...

How well is everything grounded/bonded?

Try disconnecting the radios from the VIC as a troubleshoot

vitamink

I don't have any radios hooked up unfortunately as i'd try that immediately. I only have the MCS and two crew stations hooked up in a loop. I do appreciate the idea. If you have any more, keep em coming.

IroncladGA

When you say "light MCS", is this the box that has only a CX-13470 connector on left and right sides, volume knob only on top, and headset cable coming out of the front? I am assuming that you also have a regular MCS that has the three dials, two toggle switches, change button, and digital display also. If not, please post pic of your setup and components. Assuming that you have a full MCS, I provide some speculation below.

This is purely speculation, but might be worth reprogramming if this is happening when the MCS (CD-82) is cycling through error codes or resetting. Alternatively, switch the "System" dial on the MCS to the various settings of Progs 1-3, LS, and ALL to see if the problem goes away under any of those settings. It could be an issue with regards to the programming of the MCS and it is finding that all the FFCS, RITs, etc. are not present based on how it was programmed.

See section 2.10.1 and 2.10.2 of the TM to read about the programming steps, which are 5 pages of the TM.

IroncladGA

I have never seen an MCS-L before or the FFCS-L. They aren't even shown in the TM that I have.

Only thing I could think to recommend is review any literature you have on those or reach out to Cobham to see if they are willing to help.

MPK

Vitamink,
Did you ever find any resolution to this issue? I'm having the same problem with the exact same setup but I also get the error "dial tone" as if the radios have lost their fill. I have replaced every wire, base, amp, headsets, MCS/L , FFCS, even radios, and still get the same problem. I have confirmed comms using the radios outside of the vehicles but when I install the radio in the truck I get the faults.

vitamink

I did not :( I have the small master control. I've honestly been too busy to mess with it. I bought 2 full size master controls to see if that would fix it but haven't hooked them up yet. I read somewhere that the crew stations have an address number that must be set or it causes issues.

MPK

Weird. I thought the crew stations and the MCS/L were just plug and play. And as long as everything is installed properly, in theory I should be able to communicate. I've been trying to tackle this issue for the past few months to no avail. I've even gone so far as emailing Rovis/ Cobham to see if they can provide some sort of troubleshooting guide.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The small Vic3 boxes that headsets connect to have a black cover between the lower connectors.
It is a switch inside....cap unscrews and it has 7 or 8 positions.
Each box S/B in a different position from each other.
Last position...all the way to the right is a test position.....don't use that one.

MPK

86humv,

So your saying that if both VIC-3 boxes (FFCS/L) are in, let's say for conversation, the "#4" position, they will not work? So one could be, let's say #4 and the other one could be #5, then in theory I should be able to communicate?

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Each box has to be in a different switch position. [ the one under the black cap ]
It don't sound right if all are in the same position.
The TM says diff. position for each box.

MPK

1. The audio connectors on VIC-3 are very to getting a corrosion issue. Take a pencil eraser and scrub the contacts on the mating surfaces of the 6 pin audio connectors on the MCS/L and on the FFCS/L connectors. Be sure after cleaning well with the eraser that you blow the residue out with some compressed air and as an added measure get yourself a can of electronics "contact cleaner" and spray these connections after the cleaning.

2. GROUNDS

a. One is behind the gauge cluster, this is the body ground.

b. The second is on the frame near the fuel pump, which is the frame ground.

c. The third is in the battery box, which is the main ground.

3. The small Vic3 boxes that headsets connect to have a black cover between the lower connectors. There is a switch inside....cap unscrews and it has 7 or 8 positions.Each box should be in a
different position from each other. Last position...all the way to the right is a test position.....don't use that one.

4. Replace cables to headset boxes

5. Replace the main control box

Last edited:

blhar15

Just wanted to follow up on this email, if anyone has suggestions to fix. I have a similar setup with a MCS/L and two FFCS/L interface boxes. The front one works fine with two headsets plugged in, but the rear one I get the same thing. It works sporadically. I have changed out the cables with no difference and also these are new FFCS/L interface boxes. The only thing used is the MCS/L.

Thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks