• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Vic 3 Questions

jake-cutter

I have been looking at adding an intercom to my HMMWV and have been looking at the VIC 3, but can't seem to find a lot of info. For a 4 man set up it looks like you only need the main control and then 2 crew stations, is this correct? I have also seen reference to a VIC 3 lite, which has a smaller main control, but again I have not seen any more on these. What would a complete set up consist of and what would be a price point to buy everything needed?

ClarkeF

At a minimum you need a "lite" MCS (Master Control Station) and a FFCS (Full Function Crew Station, power, two highway cables and ANR headsets with bailout cables.

I see highway cables, headsets, bailout cables on auction sites. FFCS and MCS (or MCS lite) seem to be rare.

Good place to start is the -10 and -20 for the VIC-3 / VIS system in TM-11-5830-263-10 and -20&p. That won't show the MCS lite - I'm not sure where that unit is covered TM-wise.

jake-cutter

Trying to find a Master Control Station or a lite version has been next to impossible, still looking for either one. Does the lite MCS support two FFCS so I can have a total of 4 headsets?

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The lite system has one main box{ small } and each crew box will support two headsets.
The heavy system crew boxes will support one person per box.
There is a couple pdf's that have info...search : vic3 intercom

Last edited:

ClarkeF

Depending on the vehicle, The VIC-3 / VIS system usually takes its power from an accessory power out on the radio tray and that tray is usually wired to the battery. In some larger vehicles the -20 implies there is a surge protector feeding the radio tray.

jake-cutter

I got 2 of the lite crew stations and the cables, just need the lite master control station and some headsets. Has anyone hooked up an audio jack as an input from a phone or ipod?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got 29 search results for "vic ipod".

jake-cutter

Is Vic 3 "lite" listed in any of the Tech Manuals? I have searched both TM-11-5830-263-10 and TM-11-5830-263-20&p and all they reference is the full Vic 3. Looking for the TM for the lite version.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is Vic 3 "lite" listed in any of the Tech Manuals? I have searched both TM-11-5830-263-10 and TM-11-5830-263-20&p and all they reference is the full Vic 3. Looking for the TM for the lite version.
Never seen one yet for the lite system.
The big system main box has 2 ea. line in posts the work fine for audio in.

Last edited:
The way I understand it is that the full function unit is referred to as the An/Vic3 but the lite version of this intercom system is referred to as Lv2 (Rovis). This might help when searching.

jake-cutter

I now have a complete VIC 3 lite thanks to the help of 86humv and an auction site. Now for the two questions:

1: Which headset is preferred (Bose, Rascal, other)?

2: Does the last crew box need to be looped back to the control box?

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use racal and bose and some green military type.....racal and bose work fine.
Better audio than green military type.
Bose is easier to change battery, but they work without battery fine.
Boxes don't have to be looped back.
But if you want to....I picked up lots a long cables.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks