• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

VIC to Cellphone Adapter and Military Radio Digital Modes Adapter

hrbergeron

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Augi, just sent you a pm. I would like to purchase one for a VIC-3 system if you are still making them. If you aren't making them any more and someone who already has one would like to sell theirs, let me know too. Thanks!

79f250guy

Hey Augi,

id be interested in one for a Vic-1 or if you would send me a parts list/ schematic that would be even better I love making my own pcbs or I would but a diy kit if you’d be interested in doing that.

Thank you Sir

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
End 2017 was Augi's last entry. Maybe he would set someone up to make them. Demand might have been more than expected.

Augi

Unfortunately demand has dropped off lately. I need to make a batch of 20 to make it worthwhile and I get maybe one inquiry every other or every third month. Half of those are from people with one post who never show up again.

If 20 people commit to buy I'm happy to do another run.

Augi

Little Gus

Hi All,

Is anyone interested in connecting their cellphones to to their VIC-1 or VIC-3 systems?

For my own use I've designed and built a transformer isolated impedance matching box that allows me to connect my phone to any of the radio ports on the VIC-1 or VIC-3 systems. The VIC treats the phone as a radio so anyone on the intercom system can hear audio from the phone or key their PTT to talk out (if their crew box has permissions).

I listen to music, GPS directions and make phone calls on the road in the HMMWV through my VIC-3 headset.

If there is interest I will make a small run and sell them. I've done a professional job with a mix of surface mount and through hole components on a custom manufactured PCB in an IP67 rated enclosure.

They are plug-and-play with a standard 18-pin audio connector for interface with the VIC system and a standard TRRS headphone jack for interface with the phone.

I wasn't planning on selling these but a couple of guys asked for them. Unfortunately it's not worth it to just make two.

Price would be $100 each + shipping.

They will all be hand made by me in California and take maybe a month to complete once I place orders for parts.

I've also built an isolation transformer box to connect my PRC-104 (or any other military radio) to the Mic and Headphones ports of any computer and allows the use of digital modes with fldigi or other appropriate PC software.

This box has a U229 connector for interface to the radio and a pair of TRS audio jacks for interface to the computer. It also automatically keys the radio using a 1000hz tone in the right audio channel generated by fldigi.

It's similar construction to the above box, but has more and more expensive components, so the price would be $140 + shipping.

I've attached a picture of one of my prototypes. The final product would be very similar but omit the expensive Amphenol connector on the phone/computer side.

Augi

View attachment 678978
Are you still making these boxes for a vic1 system? And is there a way to either add to the box or is it capable of being able to plug in like say a gaming head set with mic with either like a 3.5mm headphone jack or a 1/4” and be able to talk and head using a new style civilian head set?

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Augi...I don't want to be one of those one time interested posters. I simply don't know enough to make a purchase or really even the ask the right questions. I would like to integrate a camera and I pad and sound system, but don't have the technical competence.

I don't know if SS has a vendor that handles various radio and communications, but if there is, perhaps they could work with you to even out your production (and handle the retail sales to peeps like me).

Augi

Toby: Not to worry. I was referring to people with 1 post.

If you have a device that has a headphone jack (Cellphone, Ipad, MP3 Player, etc) my adapter allows you to connect it to the VIC 1 or 3 system and talk and listen to it through the VIC headset. It's as simple as that.

I'm not sure what you mean about the camera.

Augi

Augi...I don't want to be one of those one time interested posters. I simply don't know enough to make a purchase or really even the ask the right questions. I would like to integrate a camera and I pad and sound system, but don't have the technical competence.

I don't know if SS has a vendor that handles various radio and communications, but if there is, perhaps they could work with you to even out your production (and handle the retail sales to peeps like me).

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a quick note, these things are great. With my military Bose headphones, even at highway speeds, I can talk and people can understand me. More importantly, I can hear them!

Totally worth the money.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They work great for calls, even at highway speeds. Caller can understand you fine, just sounds like you are talking to ATC. Not so great for music. Sounds like AM radio. I just put on earbuds under the headphones for music.

tcruwithme

Unfortunately demand has dropped off lately. I need to make a batch of 20 to make it worthwhile and I get maybe one inquiry every other or every third month. Half of those are from people with one post who never show up again.

If 20 people commit to buy I'm happy to do another run.

Augi
I want one. PM sent. Thank you.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks