• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Vietm Gun Trucks

Driver523

Two of the heavest armed gun trucks in Nam belonged to the second trans--From rear to the front on EACH side guns were as follows---mini--50--50--now thats in the gun box rear to front as I said on each side--and in the cab for the driver was twin M-60s among other assorted toys---If your going to build a gun truck and need research or any help just let me know--I have helped in chasing parts and research for some of the replicas out there today------email me at Driver523rd@aol.com and Thanks Driver (Larry Fiandt)

vtdeucedriver

Two of the heavest armed gun trucks in Nam belonged to the second trans--From rear to the front on EACH side guns were as follows---mini--50--50--now thats in the gun box rear to front as I said on each side--and in the cab for the driver was twin M-60s among other assorted toys---If your going to build a gun truck and need research or any help just let me know--I have helped in chasing parts and research for some of the replicas out there today------email me at Driver523rd@aol.com and Thanks Driver (Larry Fiandt)

Your not the only one larry[thumbzup]

JB

Gun Trucks

You may want to get two additional books with plenty of pictures.
1. Armor in Vietnam by Jim Mesko published by Squardon Signal
2. Gun Trucks by timothy Kutta published by Squadron Signal

Good luck

Driver523

Easy Jeff---I haven't said I was the only one at anything, I simply offered to help---You helped on where to go and where to get parts when I ask as did many other people---just take it easy. Driver

Wolf.Dose

Gun trucks of NAM

To my understanding (I read all the posts befor writing this) you have two choises as anyone of the MV collectors. You go after an original. Then you have to follow the details to the last nut and bolt. Howerver, this is allmost impossible due to lac of information and documentation. Second choise is to built something which could have been. Then you can follow your ideas. However, this is also not to easy. Nowadays we know about the designe errors of the vehicles of that time and try to avoid them. This for shure is not original. So with the second choise we have to make compromises between knowledge of should be like this and that and was a design error by that time. Otherwise: It is almost impossible to prove:YOUR DESIGN DID NEVER EXIST! If your design is somewhat realistic, it is to my understanding ok.
To explain my opionion:I'm a hobby modeller since more than 40 years and building MV of different nations. I'm also a MV collector and sturgle with different museum about what is right. I learned: everything is possible expect someone can prove: THIS IS DEFINATELY WRONG! But this almost never happens.
Good luck!
Wolf

B3.3T

But those are just resin/plastic solid castings. I like IRAC for dummy guns. Steve does great work. The guns are so exposed and important on a Gun Truck, they really need to look authentic.

Driver523

Wolf---With these replicas you just do what you can---some are built by guys that was on them thats alittle easyer--others you study photos, scale what you see in the photo to your truck, stuff like the armor can be measured from the Eve of Destruction in the museum at Fort Eustis---We have alot of photos so that along with having people that were on a particular truck makes things not as hard as it may seem, in fact I would think that a modeler would have a much harder time------------Driver

Srjeeper

here's a link to some 50bmg and 30 plus others...they look pretty good.

http://rreplicas.com/default.asp?

:ditto:

Wolf & So.Yankee

I have two of their guns (M16A1 & M60) and they are hard to tell from the real thing till you handle them. Their service is great and so are their prices. The other thing to keep in mind, is that in many states it's illegal to carry any gun other than plugged replicas or to cross state lines. I do mostly parades and memorial type events and these guns aren't affected by weather and I can transport them anywhere. 2cents

Attachments

Driver523

Not to doubt the Srjeeper but we have over 10,000 miles on the replica Ace of Spades, two tours over 2000 miles with all guns on and never covered at any time, 13 states including one time in Chicago, that was a great one, the only time the 50s have ever been off the truck was for a live fire at Knob Creek when TNW Firearms put their guns on and we went on the firing line--what a time that was--to feel once again one of these trucks rock an roll-------------------------Driver

jatonka

Hi Ernie, If it was Red Horse, it was Airforce Engineers, right. I had a friend in the Florida 202 red Horse Squadron, spent a lot of time in the sand lot. JT

SasquatchSanta

Hello JT.

Yes, Red Horse was/is indeed an engineering outfit. I didn't know they were an Air Force outfit though. If memory serves me right, they were the guys that came in immediately after we lost a barracks or other building. They could put a hooch up in a very short time.

I've looked on the internet to try to find the truck named No-Slack. I "may" have a picture of it. If I can find it I'll post it.

As a side note ... As soon as I can round up Rudolph I'll be ready for my yearly rounds. About this time every year, when I need him most, he takes off for somewhere down around Gadsden Alabama. I suspect that Freight Train has a female reinder that Rudy is sparking. By the time he gets back his girl friend will have painted his nose OD green and I'll have to scrape it off and get him sobered up before the 24th. Flying Reindeer are a lot like banjo players and webmasters --- there never around when you need them and when you manage to find one they are either laid up drunk or repenting in church. It's hard to find good help --- this Santa Claus stuff ain't easy. :-D

Have a major league Christmas & Keep on Truckin.

MrAugust

im in england i have a 2.5 truck and my mate has a 2.5 gun truck its the Higland raiders, its an exact as poss replica.. mr j lyles halped out a lot with the project... we also have a quad 50 and a normal gun truck... iron butterfly jr...

nice one... i love the gun trucks...

our group... in england.

www.rolling-thunder.org.uk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks