• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Vietnam tribute Truck

Driver523

4th Div huh?----We moved them around during the Cambodia Incusion ( ????? ) here's one of their deuces, Sad story, Plei Djereng, we seen this going by, there were still tons of people around---this photo is when we got back around----link---- helicopter crash Great unit---good choice

Attachments

Driver523

That right hand seat must be a boring place---I can't find any photos of it---here's a couple of photos that show the M-16 hanging there but no passengers side or seat, I'm thinking those 4th Div. boys probably had it different in there then we did, first off when they went out with thier trucks there's a good chance that they were going to be gone longer then 1 or 2 days they may have been going out for weeks, I drove cargo for a couple weeks when I first got there and all I had in the cab was a box of Cs,my M-16, helmet if it wasn't on and flack jacket----here's a couple photos---I'll keep looking

Attachments

vtdeucedriver

That right hand seat must be a boring place---I can't find any photos of it---here's a couple of photos that show the M-16 hanging there but no passengers side or seat, I'm thinking those 4th Div. boys probably had it different in there then we did, first off when they went out with thier trucks there's a good chance that they were going to be gone longer then 1 or 2 days they may have been going out for weeks, I drove cargo for a couple weeks when I first got there and all I had in the cab was a box of Cs,my M-16, helmet if it wasn't on and flack jacket----here's a couple photos---I'll keep looking
Ive always loved that first pic...........The dash is placarded "No Smoking" yet if you look at the drivers windshield handle, he has his pack of cigaretts there. (a typical place where they are kept)

The 3rd pic with willie.....................If I remember right, that truck had the name "Mary Jane" outside the door armor. He told me that everyone kept asking him if he had any :)

vtdeucedriver

Passenger seat question.

From what I have been hearing is that most of your standard "Line Haul" trucks in the trans units had the passenger seat. Often on longer trips, a 2nd driver would go along so that seat would be needed and for the most part, there was really no reason to remove it. Pretty much all the drivers have said that the seat was there. Now in the case of the gun trucks, I cant say with any accuracy on how many "did" have the passenger seat pulled but there had been quite a few and for various reasons. From a driver preference stand point who wanted more room in the cab for his stuff like ammo and other weapons. There is a pic that I have somewhere and I am sure that driver523 has of the seat removed and a 20mm can full of M-79 rounds in it at its place. Another food for thought is that the seat MIGHT have been used for something else on the truck. The seat back had a nice big piece of "diamond Plate" for the gunner to stand on while in the turret ring on a stock truck. Well ive seen pics of the interior gun box of "Kings of the Road" and they used that seat back frame for a radio table in the corner of the gun box. So there are various reasons why it would not be there on a gun truck.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Excellent photos!! There is a bunch of great info. The no smoking sign (I assume this was in all trucks?). The M-16 could be positioned on any of the thmb screws (makes sense). But one question comes up: the armor plate: how much was mounted; was it on both doors? (I like the machete, adds a sense that when the **** hit the fan, plan B was in hand); also good for the occasioanal foliage that got in the way.

Since you were driving a soft top, how did the armor plate get mounted? I've got the flak jacket, it was one I found in the base tower at one of the bases I was stationed at. They were tearing the tower down and me and a buddy did a search for stuff the day before it came down. In a locker half way up to the top of the tower was a bag with a flak vest, helmet and other stuff. tried to turn it in, but nobody wanted it cause of the paper work (just a guess). Anyway the vest is camo'ed. What were the vest's you and your fellow soldiers wearing? OD, OD and camo or someother color? If camo was in country, I don't need to do anything, I can use what I have. If not...hmm may have to make an OD cover. Already have a helmet (we still used the steel pots when i first joined the Marines in 81. Don't remember seeing the Kevlar till I enlisted in the AF. Last question for now, concerns your pistol belt (or lack of one) None of the pictures show a mag in the rifle. Where did you keep the magazines? Were they on a pistol belt with a .45, canteen, med kit and other assorted stuff? Again, when we were issued gear (and I'm a helicopter crew chief) we got a pistol belt with the canteen, bayonet, first aid kit, and two magazine pouches. the few times we got the gear, Ijust hung it up in the cabin somewhere. Didn't need it at 29 Palms or Yuma (our two primary training areas). Not much to worryabout back then except mabe the occasional rattle snake.

Driver523

The Mags were in a bandolier hung somewhere or layed on the seat, I can't really remember how many mags it held maybe 5 or 6, the door armor was a sheet dropped down in the door after the window was removed, and the no smoking on the dash may have been a unit thing or even driver applied, I don't remember our trucks having it---here's another one of Willies photos, the one Jeff mentions, there is alot in this picture and notice the red shifter knob--maybe a snooker ball? And the can of .50 brass? well lets just say it was hopefully non-lethal persuasion, This is the gun truck Outlaw.

Attachments

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Been a while since last post, things are coming together slowly. Sand bags are in hand (Thank you) and I've got a pile of dirt out back and two hyper active kids. Now if i can only get them to put the dirt in the bags and not thow it at each other.... Anyway, rear lights received as well. I'll need to test them; they look great but i'd rather fix any bugs before putting them on. Last note...mirrors. In my latest edition of Military vehicles magazine, there's an article with photos: Trucks of the 173rd Airborn Supply & Support (MVM, Issue 154, dated June 2012, pages 78 to 81). The story references Sp4 Brages in 1969 and 1970. In all but one of the photos, the trucks all had west coast mirrors. I can go that route for now, it's easier and i don't need to spend money on getting a new old style mirror. For now, I'll make the mirrors I have look correct, west coast style. It's period correct for the truck. It may not be correct for the 4th ID; more research is needed. I got a mirror that was period correct (old mount) but it was used and I just can't get it to work; it's seen too many miles. So, for now west coast with the option of changing it at any time in the future. the beauty of this is i have the mounts. That's the hardest part to locate. Down the road I can swap it out as necessary to match whatever unit/time frame I want to change to once i get a good mirror. By the way, good article and great pictures.. until now, i didn't know they gunned up M-37s. makes sense just never heard of it.

I got three of the old style mirror mounts. I only need one. if you need one pm me. I'll pass one on to whomever same as I got it, no charge. I'll keep the third as a spare. Never know, i might find a 1960's M-35 that needs an old style set up.

Last edited:

lawdog1623

Great thread keep it going. I found some vietnam battlefield pics of a few deuces in villages. Ill try to find a way to post from my iphone

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great thread keep it going. I found some vietnam battlefield pics of a few deuces in villages. Ill try to find a way to post from my iphone
If you can get them to me, they'll go in the scrap book that's getting put together. I have several pictures but some shots of what they went through on the battle field would put more realism to the book. Thank you!:beer:

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
got the correct lights for front and back. Also have a set of yellow headlights when it comes time to change over. Got the corect seat for the gunner/passenger; waiting to install until the cab's been detailed. Right now, it's #2 for maintenance behind the AF truck. Got a bunch of work to do on it. Plan is to have the RVN truck and the M-52A2 ready for next years show. Been doing a lot of background stuff; getting the M-52 road worthy (found some correct sized rims today); getting ready for the big bed swap (3 beds, two trucks, oh what fun!). Finally recovered enough from last surgery to get some stuff done but gotta go slow. Wrists just can't take sustained punding like in the old days.

Sorry for slow responses to my threads. Too much to do and not enough hands. Haven't forgotten the B-29 pics either. Waiting for a "stuck in the house day" and I'll post a bunch more of the nose art.

Thanks for checking in.

Jeff

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Change, update, restart, ah shucks, I'm starting this one over. Vietnam tribute has taken on new life. Most of the parts previous listed are going to be used but in a better form.
I have the M52A2 former fire dept tanker, former M52A2 tractor. Nothing on back, sold the tank for scrap. Got a bunch of parts from a M818 to replace what was missing. Didn't work. Track sat for quite some time nothing happening. Got parts here, there, everywhere. When I added them up, I didn't have a tractor, I had...something else. An a slight aside, I got a book on Vietnam gun trucks, very nice book. It is so nice, I now know what to do with all those parts and meet my original intent of a Vietnam tribute. If you have a copy of Jamss Lyles book "Gun Trucks In Vietnam, Have Guns Will Travel", check out picture 113. "It Don't Mean Nothin" lives again! The basic truck is the M52 and the bed is from a M35. Everything else... Well I got a lot of truck parts still to throw at it. More to follow.

foxtrk2

just a thought my contact truck is nam era and inside all my compartment doors ive had every nam vet that looks at the truck sign it with name and unit he o rshe was with in nam mite be an idea fo r some area on your truck

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Vietnam tribute has become the gun truck replica War Wagon. The original War Wagon I'm basing mine on was an M35A1. It belonged to the 240th QM. I might be able to write a book about all the twists and turns it took to get to this point. I think I can post a pic of it. My truck is an 1970 M35A2 W/W. I'm using the original trucks unit markings. This is an on-going project that I expect to keep adding to as I get the resources to make upgrades. Right now I have is armed with 2 resin M2's mounted on equalliberatetor mounts. I've got a third mount that needs parts. Once I replace them I'll have 3 M2's, 2 up front and 1 at the aft position. For now the armor is 1/2 in plywood. It's backed by sections of PSP with sand bags between the layers. The bed has a layer of .50 ammo cans. I got a incredible deal on the cans. FYI it takes 144 cans to cover the floor of a 2 1/2 ton bed. I've got the radios, intercom, antennas and a bunch of other stuff to try and recreate the truck.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks