• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Vietnam Wall Memorial - Marion, NC

MDSA

PICS of Vietnam Wall Memorial - Marion, NC

Spoke last night with Dan Toney, who is on the committee to bring the Moving Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall to Marion, NC, May 11-14, 2011. Click link below, then click calendars, then "map" for location. The actual site is the YMCA Soccer field. Take I-40, exit 81, north about 2 miles. The YMCA is past the hospital on the left.

AVTT

They would be thrilled to have some MV participation.

They already have 2 helicopters scheduled to be trucked in. They will have 24 hr security since the Wall is open all night. I am pretty sure I will leave my Deuce there for the duration.

There is a mtg of their committee April 5 at 4pm.

Call Dan Toney for more info: 828-442-5022

I feel this is a great opportunity for us to honor a group of brave American soldiers who are largely forgotten by too many others.

Last edited:

68t

Thanks for the post. We had the Vietnam moving wall last year. We sure had a great turn out. I never seen so many motorcycles at a event. Our VFW sure was thankful for such a large turn out. All had a great time. I had my halftrack and other military vehicle there. You know there is still folks who like there country , there military and there veterans.:grin:

asgtoolman

We were honored to have the "WALL" here in Florence, SC on November 11, 2010. I took my bobbed deuce out and left it in the midst of other static displays of equipment; did not put any special signs on it to prevent anyone from climbing on it {but did lock the doors} There were lots of footprints and nose prints on it, but it was worth it!!

This new "WALL" is much more than the previous Viet-nam only tribute--IT IS AN ABSOLUTE MUST SEE that covers all wars the USA has ever been involved in. Plan to take some time to read the "Viet-nam Time Line"; it condenses the entire conflict into 30 minutes or so of reading. The names and places are all so familiar to those of us who served in the 60's and 70's

If you can leave the grounds with dry eyes or not feeling proud of our troops from all wars, shame on you.

WE ARE TRULY THE LAND OF THE FREE AND THE HOME OF THE BRAVE!

gunboy1656

I can't wait for the wall to come here again. I usually volunteer to help out, never think twice about doing it. However this time I will have my deuce, trailer and mule on hand to display.

Even though my truck is the wrong color, but the mule will be correct.

MDSA

This salute to Vets is 10 days away. I spoke with the organizers yesterday and they would like any static displays set up on Wednesday, May 12 and it runs through Sunday, May 16. I plan to run the Deuce out Wednesday after work and leave it, and have one of my sons bring me home, so anyone needing a ride is covered.

They reiterated that there will be 24 hr security.

MDSA

Neil,

Their committee said YES to camping. They may put you to work with security.

Brandon and I will head out there Wednesday after work.

I think directions are on the first post. It's pretty easy to find.

Get off at exit 81, go right about 2 miles, look for YMCA soccer field on left.

Hope to see you,

MDSA

Originally the display was to end Saturday, then I was told Sunday, now they are closing the display about 2pm Monday after some school groups have visited the sight.

Sorry for the changes, but I think keeping it open for school groups is a great idea. Too many of our younger generation do not understand patriotism and sacrifice.

I plan to leave the Deuce there until Monday after work.

They are still looking for any kind of military display from any war.

MDSA

Yes, Neil, Wednesday afternoon would be fine. If you want, you can wait at my place or Brandon's so we can convoy out there. I'll be home about 3ish that day.

I have to warn you there are many steep hills on I-40 out this way. When I took the M37 to the car show I had to downshift many times, and 3 times I ended up in 3rd before cresting the hill. But that was with a heavy trailer and heavier M37.

Any idea what your little camper weighs?

The site for the memorial is only about 25 miles from my house, so if you need a break, meal, shower, or whatever, let me know.

See you next week

neilhendrix

In Memorial
In Memorial
I`m not sure what it weighs but I would guess 6 thousand pounds give or take. On the way to Haspin last year I hit 3rd several times.

A convoy is always fun. Any idea what time Brandon will be ready to leave? I know where he lives. Are you taking the M37?

MDSA

Not sure about Brandon. When I saw him Monday, we discussed this, and he said he could get home earlyish that Wednesday, but I don't know what time he meant. I'll see him sometime before then. Maybe he'll chime in and let us know for sure.

I'm 5 minutes from him, one exit earlier (#107)

I've just about talked myself into taking the M37. It's a tad bit of work loading and unloading it, but I know it will be worth it.

Attached are a few pics of the choppers in Dillsboro, NC, as well as pics from Vietnam of one of the men helping with the Marion event. Bob Smith, a veteran chopper pilot of Vietnam, sent them to me.

Attachments

AMGeneral

Well,i'm out,cranked the M54A1 today,it definetly needs a cam/tappets now.

I don't have time to install that before wednesday plus get it spiffed up for the show.

Maybe next time.

MDSA

Neil,

Just to let you know, I'm taking the Deuce with my ammo trailer and Stephen's going to follow in my dually with the M37 and a M101 on my long civy trailer. Pretty sure they both will fit; at least the tape measure says so, and it's a whole lot easier to load the civy trailer.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks