• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Vin Help

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your engine should have a label/tag on it. It is under the front half of the exhaust manifold. It will say what company built the engine. It will have a contract date also. Your engine may or may not be original to the truck.

You need to look closer, I doubt you have a truck with none of the normal tags on it.

If you search the site for tags etc, you will see some examples of what you are looking for.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there any where else on the frame it could be?
Not that I know of.

Only thing I can tell you from the reg. number you posted is the truck was made from 1960-1968 ( if the reg. number is correct). The first numbers in your S/N should be either 0125-***** or 0225-***** if the truck was built by Kaiser-Jeep. It's in the timeline where it could be built by somebody before Kaiser-Jeep though. Then the S/N could have a "M" at the front of the number and be located on the passenger side frame rail.

Sorry, that's all I can come up with going by the info you gave.

dieseler

Where at on the passenger frame rail? I looked adjacent of driver side rail where everyone else seems to find there vin at.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a gasser once that had the s/n on the pass side. Don't remember for sure but I want to think it was in the same location as the drivers side. Seems like I remember David Doyle saying one time that some numbers were towards the back of the fender.

David Doyle could really help you out more than I or anyone else around here could. All the info I have came from him. Haven't seen him around here lately though. I know he's busy. You might try and send him a PM. His username is DDoyle.

bc35339

I am trying to send off for my titles and I am little confused on what to put for the vin #s and the year / manf. on the bottom two.Here is a picture of my data plates. Thanks for any help.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I am trying to send off for my titles and I am little confused on what to put for the vin #s and the year / manf. on the bottom two.Here is a picture of my data plates. Thanks for any help.

Highly suggest going to the VIN INFO 2009 thread and reading the initial requirements and then post your serial numbers. That's what it's there for to be a tool to help with your registration and for historical purposes.

I would verify the frame numbers with your data plate numbers prior to posting the request.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
According to my info, this is an old gasser M35A1. Since you have a diesel in it, it was rebuilt as an A2.

It comes up as a 1968 with serial number M54355

This will be on the curb side frame rail since we have now established it was an A1.

Even with this info, I highly suggest verifying the frame number.

This info is from 1981 so it's quite old but suits our purpose here. Now at least you know what numbers you're looking for based on the registration number provided and where to look now that we know it's an A1 frame.

Would prefer working these on the VIN INFO thread if others read this and need similar info.

Thanks

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
M54355 would fit the VIN format of a Studebaker. Pretty sure all the Studes start with an M. Both of mine do, M30708 is the VIN for the wrecker and it's a 1953. The VIN location on my Studes is in front of the left front spring hangar.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Kenny,

Just to clarify and for maybe my education. You mean drivers side front spring hanger? Just want to make sure since i sent him on a wild goose chase but then again, the location of the vin ain't my forte just the where it came from.

Thanks

wvhillbilly

The VIN problem you are having is the main reason I went thru a private seller who ALREADY had a PA title in hand. Cost me a few bucks more, but I DID NOT want the hassle.
With PA title and a handwritten sale bill in hand, I walked into my nearest DMV in wild, wonderful WV. In less than an hour, I walked out with a title and a license plate. WV is EASY, if you have a previous title. And since they are not TOO familiar with these trucks, sales taxes are low(get my drift?)

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I looked in front of both front spring hangers and so far nothing but I keep stripping paint.
Dieseler, if you have not taken it down to bare metal, that may be the issue. Mine didn't show up until the paint was gone.

wpaulharris

I spoke with GL when looking for my VIN on my Duece. It is the registration number. I had the packet of paperwork in my truck and it was on it too as registration number. After I saw what the number was, I then noticed it was stensiled on the inside of driver's door too.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I spoke with GL when looking for my VIN on my Duece. It is the registration number. I had the packet of paperwork in my truck and it was on it too as registration number. After I saw what the number was, I then noticed it was stensiled on the inside of driver's door too.

Yep registration number not VIN. Two different terms, two very different meanings.

VIN=serial number (SN)

Registration number has no real civilian equivalent. It would be akin to a number being given to your car registration card but in most cases most states would consider that a license plate number. Maybe title number might be a better similarity.

The VIN/SN is stamped in the frame during the manufacturing process for all vehicles (civlian and military). The registration number is painted onto the door and in some cases (note some) it is put on a dataplate. The registration number is not part of the VIN although a lot of times people merge them together.

You can either listen to a GL employee with potentially 5 years or less experience as a high volume used car dealer or someone that worked in/around military vehicle accountability for 20 years.

There ya have it. Take it for what it's worth.

CARNAC

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
I found the frame vin# on a 5 ton, quickly thanks to reb87's posting the loacation*in another tread. The numbers were large and hand stamped, apparently after the frame was originally painted. They had very little imprinting in the steel. They all appeared as I wire wheeled the top layers of paint, then many completely faded away as the steel surface appeared. Only 4 can be seen in steel, and 3 of those just barely, with no metal removed.

*(Left, outside, frame rail side, between the two bolts that are above the rubber spring snubber)

Attachments

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep registration number not VIN. Two different terms, two very different meanings.

VIN=serial number (SN)

Registration number has no real civilian equivalent. It would be akin to a number being given to your car registration card but in most cases most states would consider that a license plate number. Maybe title number might be a better similarity.

The VIN/SN is stamped in the frame during the manufacturing process for all vehicles (civlian and military). The registration number is painted onto the door and in some cases (note some) it is put on a dataplate. The registration number is not part of the VIN although a lot of times people merge them together.

You can either listen to a GL employee with potentially 5 years or less experience as a high volume used car dealer or someone that worked in/around military vehicle accountability for 20 years.

There ya have it. Take it for what it's worth.

CARNAC
:ditto:

I would cal the reg. number the military license plate. The only "proof" of the reg. number on most trucks is the number painted inside the doors. In rare cases the reg. number can change. The VIN will never change. It's with the truck at the time of manufacture (stamped in the frame).

I would have serious reservations buying a truck that had the reg. number listed as the VIN on the title. I'm not saying I wouldn't buy it but it would have to be a good enough deal for me to go through the trouble of getting the title straightend out or a parts truck.

Last edited: