• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Vin# issues M-813

my blood flows OD

I'm having a hard time getting my 72 M-813 registered in NH.
My truck was a fire truck for Chester NH fire dept and registered to them up till 2015.
they sold it to a guy that flipped it to me within a month.
The issue is The vin# on the bill of sale and the vin# on the registration has the 5th caricature as a"Q".
When my town office ran it, it didn't work as a vin#. When it is run as an "O" it works.
you can see where the confusion would be in the pic below.
my town wanted me to go and get a new vin# as a salvage title.
I meet with the salvage title person today and he wanted to know if there is a 2nd vin# on the frame that would more clearly show this as an "O"?
He said it would save a lot of confusion.
I have no idea how the fire dept was able to register it with the wrong vin#.
image.jpg

Last edited:

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, need more information, can you confirm or picture the rest of the Data Plate? I have Trucks coming up with Registration numbers NL-zero -8-zer-5 and NL-zero-8Q5, but no for NL -O-8-O-5 or -O-8-zero-5. but both are M813A1s mfg in 1980, one W/W one without.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The "C329" number is your VIN, that is what is on the frame. The "N . . . " set of letters is the Army registration number and is not part of the VIN.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I though the town office lady said it need 15 letters/numbers to work as a vin#? What does your 5 ton registration and title say?
Have her investigate that vehicles from the 70's and before did not have 15 digit VINs. This should be in her guidebooks. My 5 ton truck has the VIN listed as the C . . . number.

MtnSnow

NL0805 or NL08Q5 is the Army's internal registration number

C329-10372 is the Serial number of the truck (aka VIN number) This number can usually be found on the frame under the multiple layers of paint

my blood flows OD

Does this very state to state. Is there anyone out there that has a similar 809 truck that is titled and registered in New Hampshire that can check there reg and title to see what is required?
if that is indeed the case then I would a happy camper, because that would eliminate the "Q"

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here in KY, I've used the registration and vehicle s/n as a composite VIN #. Had the title from GL and GP reflect the same number. No problems with the county clerks office. My M813 w/w is registered as a Historic Vehicle, the rest are "Farm trucks". Easy-peasy....

I just registered my M931A2 as an antique. Not your exact scenario, but maybe this will help. I did some title work at town hall and the sent me to a local DMV for plates.
Here is some of the registration information . I didn't see when they entered it as an AMGEN vs BMY, but I don't care what they call it. No 15/16 digit vin required.
$36 for my registration.

Last edited:

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Correct above, the entire C-number is your Truck's Serial number, or it's VIN. The registration number is not a VIN. I can provide a screen shot of an Army record that says that much, when I get to work tomorrow.

my blood flows OD

Thank you guys.
this is all really useful info.
bikeman that would help out huge.
and gas turbine it is awesome to see that reg in NH with the correct #.
this is the old reg.
image.jpgNow I just need to get a bill of sale and a vin varification to match just the serial # without the prefix and I should be good to go? Correct?

I'm thought with a bill of sale and this old registration is all you need.

Found this on the DMV site:

This should be a title exempt, private sale. Bill of sale and old registration. How can the Town Hall not like the old State issued registration?

I'm not an expert for sure, so I could be completely wrong!

Now, if you can get a vin verification signed with the shorter number, might be easier.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sent you a PM for email address. The System I have access to confirms that your S/N is Reg# NL-ZERO-8Q5. All other information matches your data plate as well.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks