• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Vin number for licensing?

phil2968

Not the vehicle ID either. Vin can be on the data plate but not always. But it is stamped in the frame rail on the drivers side behind the front tire. Give your info to carnac in the 2011 vin thread and he can tell you the year and cage code, the make of it. Vin will be under many layers of paint and in large shallow numbers. I have seen frame numbers not agree with truck numbers on the data plate.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've always used a combination of the Army registration number and the VIN on the dataplate (crosschecked with the frame number to assure it matches). That gives you a much longer number - usually 14 or 15 characters - which is easier for the registration folks to swallow since all new vehicles require a 17 character VIN. I do this with the SF97, since it's an Official Federal Form, and have never been questioned (yet).

A

A/C Cages

Its hilarous to watch the newbie at the DMV look at the short number, scratching their heads, going ,,,ahhhhhhhhh How do I enter such a short number in this? Then the lady who normally helps me comes over and within a few seconds, shes done.
But its sure fun to watch they try to figure out why there isnt enough numbers. lol

Bighurt

NSN is National Stock Number, or in other words the part number for that Deuce and every other Deuce like it.

To be truthful you can have multiple part numbers listed under a single NSN. Part Numbers usually are different between manufactures.

In fact the NSN is comprised of two numbers in and of itself the FSN (Federal Stock Number) and the NIN (National Identification Number).

steelandcanvas

To be truthful you can have multiple part numbers listed under a single NSN. Part Numbers usually are different between manufactures.

In fact the NSN is comprised of two numbers in and of itself the FSN (Federal Stock Number) and the NIN (National Identification Number).
:roll: I don't think we have to be so technical about the NSN, I was just trying to explain the difference between the NSN and the VIN.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
really? Not the NSN other wise you would have the same vin as 40K other trucks
Yep...notice my post count.... :)

I'm completely new to this, working on getting a M35A3, want to have all my ducks in a row before I spend the $$$$

Thanks everyone for the replies.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks USAFSS-coldwarrior. I had scanned the beginning of the thread but hadn't seen anything on where a M35A3 vin was located. I guess since they were made from M35A2's it's the same one dooooohhhhhh...
Sorry guys brain wasn't in gear.

phil2968

Not the vehicle ID either. Vin can be on the data plate but not always. But it is stamped in the frame rail on the drivers side behind the front tire. Give your info to carnac in the 2011 vin thread and he can tell you the year and cage code, the make of it. Vin will be under many layers of paint and in large shallow numbers. I have seen frame numbers not agree with truck numbers on the data plate.
Did you miss what I typed? I did not know you were talking about a A3, I would think the number is in the same place but someone that owns one will need to answer that.

Bighurt

:roll: I don't think we have to be so technical about the NSN, I was just trying to explain the difference between the NSN and the VIN.
I wasn't that technical.

The OP is new I just don't want to bombard him with a misnomer.

The Vehicle Identification Number can be compared to Social Security Number, they are issued once and don't repeat. Unless your a special SS member I know...LOL

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor

OK, I'll get technical. Technically it is FSCG and NIIN. Federal Supply Class Group and NIIN. The FSCG is further broken into FSC and FSG then the NIIN that is made up of 2 digit national codification bureau and then part number.

2320-00-077-1616
23 Vehicle
20 Truck (Cargo/Utility)
00 United States
rest of it is the part number.

Questions?

redthegreendog

I always use the GSA number on my M35A2, the insurance company called me back to tell me my jeep Vin was to long. The girl had a fit when I told her the GSA was the ID number. the reason I use the GSA is that is the number we put down for the Gov fuel card at my NG unit for the state. The girl had to get her manager to find out what a GSA was, good thing was he was in the Air Force and what a GSA was.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks