• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

VIN number

tankie88

Hi all,does a M1009 have the VIN number stamped on the chassis any where.My vin plate on the door frame is off a M1008,so i have been informed.The VIN on the plate is1GCGD34J7FF366938.

papercu

There is one on the dash. non matching numbers are a bad thing in some states and could/will get your truck impounded. Wayne

That VIN comes back as VIN: 1GCGD34J7FF366938
Vehicle: 1985 Chevrolet D30 Pickup Military/Postal Unit

tankie88

The 2 rivits are there on the dash and that's it,no plate.Luckily i'm in the UK and the biffs at the Dept of transport aint got a clue.They go by the door plate VIN.There must be a number on the chassis some where?.

papercu

From what little I know there are numbers on all major components for LEO to trace. Don't know if they are VIN or maybe part of it. Wayne

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Should be on the frame and I would highly suggest finding it. Although I could not match up your vin to a specific vehicle, I tried various parts of the vin provided and all came back with various types of vehicles EXCEPT FOR a M1009. So my suggestion is to find that frame vin.

Crash_AF

When I cut up my parts 1009, a partial VIN was stamped in at least 2 places that I could find. Both were on top of the frame under the main floor pan. When I cut up the other one, I'll get pics of the locations.

And yes, civilian trucks have the VIN (or a partial VIN) stamped into the frame so that the police can trace the frame to a specific vehicle.

Later,
Joe

rfischba1

I noticed on my M1008 the dash Vin is off by a couple of numbers compaired to the door vin plate. looks like GL only looks at the door plate when recording the vin. for the sales.
Which vin is the correct one, door plate, or dash?
I want to apply to GL for my SF97 and would like to be correct.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Re: RE: VIN number

rfischba1 said:
I noticed on my M1008 the dash Vin is off by a couple of numbers compaired to the door vin plate. looks like GL only looks at the door plate when recording the vin. for the sales.
Which vin is the correct one, door plate, or dash?
I want to apply to GL for my SF97 and would like to be correct.
Neither, the official VIN is the frame VIN.

tankie88

RE: Re: RE: VIN number

I just had a thought.How about trying the other way round.My M1009 was in Germersheim,Germany.The bumper markings are .....4THCEC...HQ4.Is anyone whizzing around the site who can follow that back to a M1009??

papercu

RE: Re: RE: VIN number

The LEO will check the door and dash, then if he feel there is a problem he may very well have it torn down to check the frame or at the least impounded. Wayne

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Re: RE: Re: RE: VIN number

tankie88 said:
I just had a thought.How about trying the other way round.My M1009 was in Germersheim,Germany.The bumper markings are .....4THCEC...HQ4.Is anyone whizzing around the site who can follow that back to a M1009??
That may work if you had a one or two of a kind vehicle in a unit...for example a M35A2w/w in an infantry company but the CEC was a fairly large unit and most likely had a boat load of CUCV's so distinguishing which one is the issue.

tankie88

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: VIN number

Well, i've just searched the frame left and right,front to back(on the outsides) no sign of any numbers.There must be some where on the frame where there's a number.

Crash_AF

Crash_AF said:
When I cut up my parts 1009, a partial VIN was stamped in at least 2 places that I could find. Both were on top of the frame under the main floor pan. When I cut up the other one, I'll get pics of the locations.
Still no pics, but yes, the partial VIN (I believe it was the last 9 digits) is stamped into the top of the frame rail between the floor and frame about where the seats bolt in or a little forward of that. You will have to use a mirror and flashlight slid between the floor and rail.

Later,
Joe

dragline

That VIN comes back as VIN: 1GCGD34J7FF366938
Vehicle: 1985 Chevrolet D30 Pickup Military/Postal Unit
could you tell me where you are able to do that research? Ive been looking for a place that I can put in the vin and be told exactly what I have. I know its a 5/4 ton 6.2 diesel with the other standard features listed on the "vehicle specifications" page but I was told there is a site where I can put in the vin and get a detailed specs and history. Is that true? I know about carfax and similar sites but I wouldnt think they would give detailed info about military trucks. Am I mistaken?
Thanks for any help. Im obviously new to the military truck culture.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks