• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

VIN Question for SF-97

therbert

Hey Guys,

I have an issue. The data plate on my truck is missing. The frame has and alpha numeric on the top row, the date of manufacture on the mddle row and the bottom is another numeric..

What is the VIN considered. Am I supposed to use both the top and bottom together?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Tom

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Tom, if you would like to PM me with the numbers you've found, I can tell you which (if any) are the VIN. I can probably also verify the year the truck was manufactured.

While for most trucks the VN is located on the driver's side frame rail forward of the centerline of the axle. It is a nine-digit number stamped in a single line. An example would 0525 12345.

On older trucks, apparently such as yours, it is possible that the VN is stamped in other locations, including the passenger's side of the vehicle. It is also possible that the VIN contain six digits. This could follow either of two patterns, 123456, or M12345. Some of these trucks are stamped wtih the manufacturing dates wtith other numbers nearby. These numbers are not the VIN. I am not sure what they are (and haven't spent a lot of time investigating), but they may be part numbers, since the same numbers are stamped on mulitiple vehicles. Trying to use this as the VIN could lead to problems, for if someone else made the same mistake, two of you would be trying to title the "same vehiicle" An example of this is attached.

If the numbers you have found do not fall into one of the three patterns described above, you should keep looking.

Hope this helps,
David Doyle

Attachments

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A friend of mine got a deuce from GL. It's in great shape. It started life as a gasser and no numbers on the frame. There was a 2 in. round brass tag wired to the front drivers side loop in the fender well. The VIN is stamped on that.

FreightTrain

Banned
crash course....If there are numbers painted on the door(inside) then that is the first section of the Full Vin normally.Mine is 04G-00871.The second half will be 4 digits with a dash and 5 more digits if it is a 71 like mine.Not sure what lot yours will be it can be between 01 and 10 but not 07 unless you have one of the never seen lost lots.Next 2 numbers in the first section will be what type of truck it is.Yours being a W/W it will be 25 if the truck had a winch installed after deliver or 39 if it is a factory winch.the second batch of numbers are what truck came off the line within that lot.10000-99999

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Re: RE: VIN Question for SF-97

FreightTrain said:
crash course....If there are numbers painted on the door(inside) then that is the first section of the Full Vin normally.Mine is 04G-00871.The second half will be 4 digits with a dash and 5 more digits if it is a 71 like mine.Not sure what lot yours will be it can be between 01 and 10 but not 07 unless you have one of the never seen lost lots.Next 2 numbers in the first section will be what type of truck it is.Yours being a W/W it will be 25 if the truck had a winch installed after deliver or 39 if it is a factory winch.the second batch of numbers are what truck came off the line within that lot.10000-99999
I beg to differ. No M35A2 VIN begins 04G. That is the registration number(comparble to the tag number), this number is to be painted on the inner door surface, and under the hood. In some instances the registration number is also stamped on the data plate. The actual VIN number of your truck FT is 052521278, which is stamped in the left front frame rail.

The 39 vs 25 distinction for winch trucks did not occur until the fifth lot. Lots 1-4 used 25 whether or not equipped with a winch.

Regards,
David

FreightTrain

Banned
RE: Re: RE: VIN Question for SF-97

ok,I use the entire number stamped on the data plate for my vin.Guess that is why the DMV give me a strange look when I got a tag for my original truck.

FrankUSMC

Freight train
I do not even worry over vin numbers. I have been collecting military vehicles for over 25 years. I would have a stroke if I ever come across one that was correct on the title. I have two titles now that when the trucks were surplused out in the 1940s or 50s they put the engine block number down as the vin number. This was before computers....and they were trucks so who cared.
I also had DMV refuse me a title on one truck because the vin number was to short. The lady said the state of NC does not take vin numbers that short. I told her that the vin number on the goverment title matched the one on the truck. AND I reminded her the the United States goverment over rides a state goverment. She gave me the title. One more funny side note on this truck story, the same lady called me a couple of days later, and asked me to RETURN the tags and the paper work! There was a boat trailer in North Carolina with the same vin number and there can not be two in the same state. I very calmly asked the lady, "what year was the boat trailer made?" she said 1993.....so I replyed back, will my US military truck was made in 1967, so, you need to call the Boat Trailer owner and get him to return his tags. My truck had the vin number first. She said thank you and hung up.
Sorry for the long war stories.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET.

FreightTrain

Banned

Well,with GL now,the titles are usually correct since the collectors have to figure out the vin instead of the government.I am OCD about my titles(along with insurance,tag,ID,etc).I want it to be correct incase I end up getting one of those one in a million traffic stops where the officers either is a MV freak himself or just knows about them.What would happen if they ended up knowing where to look and the title/Tag recept numbers did not match the truck?Would come back as "Stolen".And since all the papers showed a different truck there would not be much you could do about it.I want to be on the safe side.spending time in Club Fed while everyone figures out what is going on ain't my idea of a fun vacation.

goldneagle

I found my VIN number on a round disc tied with a steel wire to the frame above the front axle. At least it matches the one in the data plate in the cab! Can someone tell me the history of my truck based on the bumper numbers 256 2I56 HQ 3B and this stenciled on the door 4HQ 2571

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor

It's from the LA Army National Guard. If I had the serial number I could tell a lot more.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor

Reference the original message:

Not sure how many folks I've performed a search for their vehicle informaiton but considering I have 190 posts and the vast majority have dealt with finding vehicle info and taking into consideration I've had a bunch more via pm; I'd say Ive done well over 100. If you want me to check it on the database, send me the serial number, registration number, and type of vehicle and I'll dig up whatever I can find on it. Probably asking for self-inflicting torture but what the hey.

With that said, during those 100 or so searches I have found at least a dozen where the serial number or the registration number the owner gave me was in error. In each case I've informed the owner they may want to go back and check X (whatever). If you want me to check it on the database, send me the serial number, registration number, and type of vehicle and I'll dig up whatever I can find on it. Probably asking for self-inflicting torture but what the hey.

Bottom line is, I would not trust what the SF97 nor the bill of sale state is the VIN (serial number) or registration number. I would verify this information very carefully and if it is incorrect, versus what you have on what GL sends you, I would demand customer service and get it fixed. After all you pay $60 for them to get it right. I had to beat them up for 6 weeks to fix mine but it's better than registering the truck with my state DMV and then having to sort it out later.

I'd now put in the little "my 2 cents" icon but I don't know how to do that.

FreightTrain

Banned
It will be on there somewhere.More than likely covered by the paint.you might have to strip some paint off to find it.Don't use a grinder......wire brush or better yet some type of chemical stripper.Will have to be some nasty stuff to eat CARC though.Just get some Krylon OD green and some primer to cover up the stripped area.They sell MV colors at walmart.Not an exact match but pretty dang close.Looks like someone used some on the drivers side bumper end in your avitar.