• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Vin Stencil

cucv1833

The last 2 days ive been looking for the miliatry regulations on stenciling the VIN on my M1009 im looking for the correct location and size im thinking 1" stencil on left or right side lower tailgate but dont know if this is correct. I have searched this site, Google, and the TB 43-0209

See below info.

DEFINITION
In lieu of the license plate, the Secretary shall authorize the use of the military vehicle identification number stenciled on the vehicle in white or yellow letters and numbers in accordance with military regulations.

cucv1833

Thanks thats good info i wasnt searching there i was only searching in the CUCV Forum. Im still looking for the regulation. You said Quater panel and jimm1009 was talking about marking it on the door. Looks like therse differnt regs of every military branch

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do not know where each branch had the markings...The LA regs state either the front quarter panel or the door. After you get the marking info, you might want to take a trip to Red Stick and see it the DMV would accept it. face to face usually works better than on the phone...

THe regs for the markings are on the old SS site, no longer up. I had bookmarked them at one point and time...Perhaps someone will hav a copy of the regs.

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try this

TB 746-93-1

Would the state even know what the Military Regulations say?

I know of alot of guys in TX that make up thier own numbers and then register it that way.

Attachments

epitts

They used the Unit markings on the tailgate as my reg number. Left them in the same spot, not on doors. Your State law may differ, I left the letters in black.

SGT Estum

Those are "bumper numbers" not the actual vehicle's VIN. All our trucks had the unit on the left side and a truck (or track) number on the right side. I served with Delta Battery, 216th Air Defense Artillery so on the left was stenciled "D 216 ADA". On the right, we our trucks were numbered based on their assigned platoon in the first digit. For example, one truck assigned to second platoon was "D-231".

cucv1833

Those are "bumper numbers" not the actual vehicle's VIN. All our trucks had the unit on the left side and a truck (or track) number on the right side. I served with Delta Battery, 216th Air Defense Artillery so on the left was stenciled "D 216 ADA". On the right, we our trucks were numbered based on their assigned platoon in the first digit. For example, one truck assigned to second platoon was "D-231".

Thanks thats the same way it was on my track vehicle in ( my avatar) C102 vehicle number meaning 1st section 2nd vehicle on left and, C.Co. on the right side and thats it. and a few other stencils . I was reading that they quit putting VINs on when after WWII when the vehicles went from OD green to camo paint. any way im still looking for a pic of the way someone did it to eliminate the license plate for registration i want it up to Marine corps standards.

cucv1833

Thanks, I may just repaint the white background and make up some new #'s that mean something to me and make it look like military reg. Does your numbers on your insurance match your reg.

cucv1833

Well i read alot of manuals and called my DMV special plate division and now its all done the picture is the final product. The DMV really only wanted the first 7 Digits of the VIN stencil in 2" letters in white or yellow i tried to make up my own numbers but that didnt work. I had three cops following me today and they didnt pull me over so so for so good.

Attachments

Last edited:

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had three cops following me today and they didnt pull me over so so for so good.
Were they LCPD, sheriff, Marshalls, or State? I had an incident with one of the NEW Calcasieu Parish Marshalls. Was at Wally World in MossBluff getting fuel and he pulled in behind me. When I got out of the deuce, he had his hand on his gun, and was asking me if it was a Army Truck (I was dressed civy all the way). When I told him that I owned it, he then proceeded to tell me that there is no way that I could own something like that...I pulled the paperwork out and showed him. He then wanted to know where the license plate was, Had to explain the VIN in lieu of plate to him as well, I had a copy of the statutes with me. Wasnt buying any of it, finally had to start naming names of Troopers and his fellow Marshalls, that I knew, and told him to check with them, he finally chilled a little. Still didnt really believe I could own a deuce. He then went on to state that the Mil had plates on all of them when in the service, told him no, that most of them had the service markings on them (front and back bumpers)...

I do have a feeling that this will not be the last I/We see of him. He is not from LA and has a major superiority complex as well. Funny/Bad part about it, he was off duty in his Civvy 'burban...

My suggestion is to make sure your vehicle is up to par and keep it that way...

cucv1833

4x4 Forever

Wow!! Thats crazy. Yesterday it was 2-Calcasieu and 1-state trooper the trooper followed me for 3 miles I just knew he was going to pull me over but he didn't. But yeah I have all paper work valid to be on the road so I'm not worried just don't want to get harrased. But everything is all good no problems.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks