• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Vintage pics of M809s at Aberdeen Proving Ground

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
These photos were discovered amongst the belongings of a former AM General salesman during his estate sale. They were packaged in a presentation binder in transparent page holders.
Most of the dates listed are August 1970. Enjoy!

If anyone knows of any videos of these tests I would love to see them!

Attachments

reset2

Wonder how the dash gauges and electrical components hold up to the river forwarding? Not to mention water getting into all the gearboxes. Not a concern when at war but as a hobbyist a lot of work to clean it up afterwards.
Thanks for posting pics are great.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wonder how the dash gauges and electrical components hold up to the river forwarding? Not to mention water getting into all the gearboxes. Not a concern when at war but as a hobbyist a lot of work to clean it up afterwards.
Thanks for posting pics are great.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Not sure about the electrical stuff but when outfitted with the deep water fording kit there are valves and lines that supply subtle air pressure to the axles, tranny, t-case, clutch housing, and maybe even the crank case. In theory the internal air pressure is greater than the external water pressure and that prevents water from intruding.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
These photos were discovered amongst the belongings of a former AM General salesman during his estate sale. They were packaged in a presentation binder in transparent page holders.
Most of the dates listed are August 1970. Enjoy!

If anyone knows of any videos of these tests I would love to see them!
Definitely worthy of saving for historical purposes.
Sure would be neat to know more about the salesman too...

Superthermal

Fording in an M813. With the solid non clutch fan on these things, I would think the engine fan would kiss the radiator as soon as a full suck of water was coming in from the front end. When we used to cross deep water with our jeeps we would actually get out and remove our rubber alternator fan belt to cross deep water and then put it back on on the far side. This was as a precaution after having a fan swim though my friends radiator. Any thoughts on this?

HDN

Fording in an M813. With the solid non clutch fan on these things, I would think the engine fan would kiss the radiator as soon as a full suck of water was coming in from the front end. When we used to cross deep water with our jeeps we would actually get out and remove our rubber alternator fan belt to cross deep water and then put it back on on the far side. This was as a precaution after having a fan swim though my friends radiator. Any thoughts on this?
How deep is the water you're going in? If greater than 30 inches, you should have the deep water fording kit installed per the TM.

Ajax MD

I'm not sure if even the fording kit includes anything that would solve this problem. My understanding is that the kit is mostly air pressure valves that put a slight positive pressure on the axles and drivetrain to keep the water out and of course, the snorkel gear. Give the increasing scarcity and expense of parts and the fact that you're not in a combat environment, I think that slipping the belt before a deep crossing is a simple and reasonable precaution to take.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks