• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Vinyl cargo cover failed seam

Rivrdog

My new cargo cover (actually one for a 5-ton) didn't last long on my Deuce. After a cold snap with temps in the mid-teens, and an exercise run of 20 miles in mid-30's temps, I returned to notice a major longitudinal seam failure in the top, about in the middle of the cover. Inspection revealed a 1 1/2' opening, but about 3-4 more feet ready to go also.

Question: I have access to a barn I can spread it out in, but can this seam failure even be worked? Other posts suggest Shoe-Goo, but I have access to Zodiac's Hypalon Glue, One Part for inflatable boats, also. It occurred to me to rivet the seams to prevent more loss of seam.

Any experience out there? I have only $75 in the top, and it was fitted well, with the excess 2 feet tied down on the tailgate and the rear sides.

Thanks for the help.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Many guys here have had great results using Plio-bond. In fact, it is holding my windshield channel on, on my M109 cab cover.

jasonjc

There was another thread just the other day about seems failing. The poster had the cover on back wards. You mite want to look at that after you fix yours.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure what you guys paid...and I realize it is for a 5 ton, not a deuce...but DECODEME has 5 ton cargo covers WITH bows for like $400. They are brand new in the crate. I bought one for my M925A2. They are not correct for a deuce, but they will fit if that is the best you can find. Otherwise, I have purchased deuce covers from GMA. They are one of the manufacturers for the military. They are pricey, but they are fresh made.

jatonka

Also, Bruce, we have Breton Industries in Amsterdam, NY. They are the American company that supplies cargo covers and cab covers to the military. They will sell to the public. They started in World War II and still have the drawings for all canvas since that time. As far as fixing vinyl cargo covers, I've tried all the mil spec glues and they don't impress me. I'm looking for something that will really work. JT out

DieselBob

I have no suggestion on how to fix the seam but I had my cab soft top seam at the windshield fail while I was driving down the highway about 50 MPH. That will get your attention real quick.