• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Vinyl cargo cover install questions

MitchG

Anyone have a copy of the instructions for installing the vinyl cargo cover on a deuce? I found an old thread from Ryan Gill that said he had uploaded them to the technical articles section, but since the old site is down I can't access them. I have tried to get in touch with Ryan but haven't made contact yet. Just wondering if anyone else may have a copy they could email me.

The install looks pretty straightforward but I had a couple of questions about the flap that has the ropes on it that goes along the bottom of the cover. It appears to me that the flap should be folded back up under the cover to the inside to allow the rubber cords to be attached to the hold downs. What do you do with the rope ends? are they tied off to the bows or seat tops? Any onfo would be appreciated as my truck didn't have a cover when I bought it and this is the first time I have installed one.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
The front of the cover should have two nylon or thick canvas straps. The back end won't have these. The side gets folded inside the front flap on the front of the cover. Then the front flap gets folded over the side. Think of how the wind blows on it as you go down the highway. The wind shouldn't catch the flap and blow it open.

The back is just the opposite. The back flap is folded up along the inside of the side flaps. Then the side flap is folded around to the back. Again, the wind shouldn't be able to catch it.

Keep in mind these covers were made by the lowest "responsible" bidder. The side tiedowns aren't always positioned in the exact position. The rubber cords got over the hooks the best you can get them. You can tighten them up by working the cord through to the end and then lopping off any unwanted excess.

The bow tie offs....I'm assuming these are the ones on the inside of the tarp. In all my years, I never knew a military unit that actually ever tied them off. More so they used them on the rare occasions they rolled up the sides.

Hopefully this all makes sense.

MitchG

The corners aren't the problems. I figured those out ok, the cover has a flap that comes down past the "ears" where the rubber super cord runs thru. This flap has six or so rope ties along it's length (sides). It appears that this flap should be folded back under each side (and both ends). If not you wouldn't be able to attach the rubber cords. I don't know where those ropes are supposed to be tied off at or at all. It looks like it is acting as an extra layer for the cover at the backs of the troop seats, or maybe it adds extra length to the cover it you had longer side pieces on the bows to make the cover taller. Any of that make sense?
I wish I had gotten some pics of it last night. I'll try to get some this afternoon.

MitchG

Wayne, that helps. The cover I have has an extra section or flap on both sides and the front and back. Its sewn on where the ears are that the rubber cord is fed thru to attach the sides and ends to the bed. When you drape the cover over the bows this hangs down below the rubber cord ears past the bottom edge of the bed. the bottom of this flap has short rope pieces on it in six or seven places on each side and three or four on each end. It's almost like it is an extension that can be used if you have the extra long bow sides. I've seen a few pics of trucks at auction that look like the bows are taller than the standard ones.
The picture is a rather crude representation of what I have.
I guess they just fold up under the sides and front if you have the standard height bows. I just don't know if they are supposed to tie off somewhere or just hang loose under there.

Attachments

MitchG

It sure looks like factory work. The top is new albiet second hand to me. I did get it from Wreckerman though.... no telling where he "acquired" it!!!!! hahaha

Pinz25086

My truck was set up like this also. From what I have been told, it was a field mod to raise the staves around 16 - 18 inches to allow for more headroom. My tarp was shredded when I bought the truck but it did look just like that . They also added 3/16 aluminum side walls and bolted that to the staves. I added more of the hooks on the walls and used a new style cover (from a FMTV?) and it fit the taller bows almost perfect! Price was great also since the guy was having a hard time selling a tarp that did not fit a normal deuce! If you are going to use that tarp, just raise the bows as much as the added area. Good Luck

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks