• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Vinyl Paint-what works

Sevo

I am thinking of doing some painting on some vinyl fabric and was wondering if Krylon "Fusion" camo paint will work on the vinyl fabric. On the can is says "hard vinyl".

Let me know what paint has worked for you guys on vinyl fabric

thanks

Jones

If you want to do a test, get a piece of fabric (the closer to the top material, the better) paint it and drive around with it on your radio antenna like a flag for a few days or weeks. If it stays there it should stay on the top.
My experience with the Krylon Fusion is that it's made to stick to plastic and tolerate about as much flexing as a lawn chair would see. Not sure about something that's a lot more flexible and wind-whipped.

DonMn

There is one type of paint that is made for vinyl, I've never used it myself but read an article about it years ago in "Sign of the Times"(trade magazine for sign making). Createx makes it, Createx makes paint specifically for airbrushing.

Bearairexpress.com or coastairbrush.com might carry it, another place to check is Midwest Sign and Supply.

Don

EO2NMCB

I don't recall the brand, but is a vinyl spray dye that I picked up at the autoparts store that I used on a dirt bike seat. After 3 years of use you can't tell that it was redyed, it has held up like iron.

Blood_of_Tyrants

I would get something that would clean the vinyl thoroughly without softening it very much before I painted it. Something like naphtha or lacquer thinner. Do a google search on vinyl dyes.

shepsjeep

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sevo,

Check out the M105 trailer in my album. before I got a green cover for it, this trailer had a tan one that was painted with Krylon Flat green paint from home depot. It is still holding up after 2 years.

The key to painting these covers is the temp when painting and more than adaquate dry time. 3-4 days no rain.

Somemedic

Was looking through some old threads and wanted to touch up my cargo cover on the deuce. Called GMA to see if they could sell me some dye or touch up and Emily said she would have to call me back to see if its available to the public. What-eva!

wdbtchr

:ditto: I've got two brand new tan tops I'd like to make camo if someone finds a paint or dye that will stick. I also wonder if painting or dying a vinyl top would extend it's life from UV exposure?

Pinz25086

SEM makes vinyl dye (paint) that I have used on the interiors of many vehicles. It does hold up and not fade for a long, long time. When it finally fails we just re-shot another coat. SEM Products - Catalog is the link.

Good prep is very important as well as following the directions to the tee but you will be pleased with the results. It can be bought at most auto paint stores and is not bad price wise. Good Luck!

Wayne

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
SEM makes vinyl dye (paint) that I have used on the interiors of many vehicles. It does hold up and not fade for a long, long time. When it finally fails we just re-shot another coat. SEM Products - Catalog is the link.

Good prep is very important as well as following the directions to the tee but you will be pleased with the results. It can be bought at most auto paint stores and is not bad price wise. Good Luck!

Wayne
Ditto on the SEM products! I have used them (and seen them used) on lots of Sixties mopars for the vinyl interior components that can no longer be purchased new. Nice product.

Pinz25086

It has held on a dashboard that is in direct sunlight every day for over 4 years and still looks great. I would be very suprised if you could get it off.

Wayne

TexAndy

Anyone have experience with parasol's vinyl dies?

They seem to have a greater color selection than SEM and will even color match for you if you send them a sample.

But they're a bit expensive. Like 90 bucks a quart.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks