• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Virgin Recovery from Gulfport

CINCPAC

My son and I drove to Biloxi from Houston on Sunday, and met my daughter and her mechanically-inclined boyfriend for dinner and a little gambling. I knew if I had her along, my luck would be great. Sure enough, she won $370 that night. She would play secretary and work on the insurance (I had been turned down three times on Saturday before it got too late to continue) while we worked on the truck. We arrived at the 255th Air Control Sqdn. in Gulfport on Monday loaded for bear. I had read and taken to heart all of the great advice here on what to have with you, and what procedures to follow when recovering a Deuce.

The wonderful folks in maintenance at the 255th had already backed a pick-up in front of my truck and were preparing to pull it off. I held up a hand and said, "Let's make sure this is the right truck." Sure enough, the SN on GL listing and the SN on the truck did not match. A cute young (female) airman walked down the line of trucks and found it, two trucks down. But that wasn't my truck, either. It was green, and mine was desert. They assured me that the only desert sand truck in the collection was the one they were backed up to. A quick call to GL's Mississippi rep clarified that she didn't-know-what-had- happened-but-it-wasn't-her-fault-she-didn't-write-down-the-numbers.

No harm, no foul, I guess. It's not like GL actually puts the serial number on the paid-in-full invoice. And it's not like GL gets the serial number from anyone but me when I turn in the SF-97 request.

That settled, I turned to my new best friends in maintenance, and said, "Let me get familiar with this thing before we pull it off. I want to check the fluids, etc. By the way, how long has this been sitting?" The answer was two years. I thought, "Oh, s***. That's not good."

I checked the oil. Had to do it twice because I didn't believe it at first. It was full to the brim with the prettiest oil I had ever seen. I mean, how clean can it get? Next the radiator: full to the filler neck with coolant. The boyfriend crawled under the truck and confirmed that, yeah, that looks like it has to be the brake fluid reservoir. That one took about a half gallon of brake fluid. I crawled under and opened the drain cocks under the air reservoirs. Nothing. We check all the tires. No sign of dry rot or cracks. The axle boots were there with no tears. We greased every fitting that we could find. My son had worked hard to pull the batteries and it took the two of us to get them up and into the bed of the truck. We installed the new heavy duty truck batteries I'd gotten at Sears, and waited until the last to hook them up. I knew it was going to be a long drive, that the end of it would be in darkness, so I had decided that pulling this off only to find that the generator didn't work was a non-starter for me (pun intended).

We checked for hydrostatic lock, and then I had the boyfriend take up position with a 2'x4" at the air intake in case the engine ran away. I took a deep breath and pressed the starter button for real. It fired up in one second flat. All the gauges but the temperature came up and into the green.

I drove that truck 394 miles from Gulfport to Houston in 9 and a half hours. It is a sweet truck. There wasn't even a hiccup along the way.

Thanks to all the great guys here who provided such superb advice on how-to-Recover! You are fantastic.

If I have any complaint it's that (sniff) it's not a whistler. Here are a few pics taken on I-10:

Attachments

Last edited:

firebuilder

That was a lot of text to read thru, so I didn't. I just want to know if this virgin you recovered is over 18, reasonably attractive, single, has a good sense of humor, and wants to get dinner some time.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
That is a great after action report-I love it when people do detailed write ups of their recovery trips. New guys get a chance to see all sorts of little things to consider when they do their first trip.

Love the pictures, especially the last one.

It's obvious from your post you did a lot of research before jumping in.

Great looking truck-I love a dropside. Welcome to the Deuce club :D

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The boyfriend crawled under the truck and confirmed that, yeah, that looks like it has to be the brake fluid reservoir. That one took about a half gallon of brake fluid.

If I have any complaint it's that (sniff) it's not a whistler. Here are a few pics taken on I-10:

Looks great and congrats on a smooth event. What tires does the ole girl have on here anyways? Hard to tell at speed but they look a little taller than a 900.

Am I the only one that gulped when I read the caption above? Took a half gallon of brake fluid? No way a single circuit master cylinder will hold that much. Perhaps its a split system or something else got a healthy amount of BFS for lube.

Don't let the naysayers hold you back from getting a whistler. At speed you can hardly tell unless your too foolish to wear hearing protection. Check out my avatar. That M275A2 had the most shrill and ear piercing "C" turbo I've ever heard. I drove that rig 2568 miles just like you see it without any complaining about the turbo, I loved it. Just swapped a "C" in my dropside and one day will get off my arse and put one on the wrecker!

Soldier on Friend!

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OMG a VIRGIN Recovery :!::jumpin:

Thank God for the EUC process or else the terrorists would be lining up by the thousands to buy VIRGINS from GL.... Maybe even Osama BinLaden would show up to get him one and we could...:deadhorse: him to death:!:

on a more serious note....
Congratz on the truck and successful recovery. :jumpin::driver:

dpsmith

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great story and recovery! Did your Air Force truck come with any maintenance records? Better change those fuel filters as soon as you can. Air Force trucks are known to have mystery goo in the fuel tanks. Great looking truck.

CINCPAC

Thanks

Thanks, everyone.

Given the serial no. prefix, I believe it is an '87. The tires are Fidelity 9:00 - 20s. Sorry, but I'm such a novice that I don't yet know how to tell if the brakes are a split circuit. I'd never been in the cab of an M35 prior to picking this one up, so everything I've learned has been from this site and the manuals that I have downloaded. And that's why I referred to it as a virgin pick up: I'd never done this before. Knew I'd take some ribbing, but it's all fun. I'll look at the threads on brakes so I can learn to tell the difference.

I misspoke when I said "a half gallon." It was a quart.

The flapper and the fact that it came from the 255th Air Control Squadron lead me to believe that it is indeed an Air Force truck.

Have a great week!