• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

visual difference turbo LDT 465-1C and 1-D

alfa59

Hi,

Tried to find old topics on the forum - but some link didn't work.
Can somebody tell me what the visual difference between the turbo of a LDT 465-1-C (whistler) and the turbo of a LDT 465-1-D (non whistler) is ?

Some pictures would be welcome

thanks

Chris

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is a common misconception that people have. The "C" or "D" engine number has nothing to do with which turbo it has. A "C" engine can have a "D" turbo and vice-versa.

Only way to tell which turbo you have is by what it looks like or how it sounds. I don't have any pics but a "C" turbo looks kind of like a snail shell and a "d" turbo looks more round.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
IIRC, the "D" turbine housing is bolted to the center section and the "C" uses a v-band clamp.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there any physical differance between "C " or "D" engines? Other than the name plate.
I think the "D" being a newer model had some minor changes. Seems like the newer style head gasket came out with the "D" but I could be wrong.

alfa59

Hi,

Thanks for the pictures and clearification !
Is it still correct that the thin one is the whistler turbo , whilst the thicker one (where the exhaust hose needs to be bolted) is the non whistler ?

regards,

Chris

alfa59

Tnx everybody for the help.

Now 2 last questions:

1. What is the sound difference between the "thin turbo " and the thicker one?

2. Is it OK to mount one of these on my 5 ton M54 truck with the LDS 465 engine?

Regards

Chris

reom35a2fluiter

Hello,

I have a question about the ldt-465-1d and ldt-465-1c turbo''s.
what is the difference between this turbo's.
Want I have found a c turbo, but I not sure of thit a c turbo is.
the first picture: left one c turbo and right is a d turbo. but I not sure

can you help me please about this.

Regards,
Stefan

Attachments

Craig C

C and D Turbo info

Anyone have a source for a rebuild kit for the "C".....mine is ready to take off and I sure don't want to kill the engine if it does.....

Can you replace the "C" with a "D" without any modification to existing mounted etc.

ccclifton@sbcglobal.net

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, they are a direct swap.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Clinto! for the link! I'm not even changing a turbo, but darn it, great reading!WSUCOUGARX does a fine job of teaching with visual aids! Always attempting to learn more! THANKS GUYS!

God bless,
Tony

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks