• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Voltage Issue With Head Lights

mccullek

These will operate at 28V ?, I just do not see that mentioned in the sale, might have just missed it though..
Yes, says up to 30V. You do need to purchase the adapters or else splice the original caps from the old bulbs. I just spliced mine.

SPECIFICATIONS:

• LED Power: High beam 45w 5400lm ; Low beam 30w 3600lm
  • Operating Voltage: 12-30V DC
  • Waterproof rate: IP 68
  • Body: Diecasting aluminum alloy housing
  • Housing color:Black
  • Color Temperature: 6500K
  • Lens material: duranble Polycarbonate -80000 hours above life time
  • Connector Type: H4 and H13 Plug adapter
  • Package:2pcs Led Headlight+2pcs H3-H13 adapters
  • If you need Fuction of Amber Turn Signal and White DRL, pls Search ASIN B08FCLJ1WR

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, says up to 30V. You do need to purchase the adapters or else splice the original caps from the old bulbs. I just spliced mine.

SPECIFICATIONS:

• LED Power: High beam 45w 5400lm ; Low beam 30w 3600lm
  • Operating Voltage: 12-30V DC
  • Waterproof rate: IP 68
  • Body: Diecasting aluminum alloy housing
  • Housing color:Black
  • Color Temperature: 6500K
  • Lens material: duranble Polycarbonate -80000 hours above life time
  • Connector Type: H4 and H13 Plug adapter
  • Package:2pcs Led Headlight+2pcs H3-H13 adapters
  • If you need Fuction of Amber Turn Signal and White DRL, pls Search ASIN B08FCLJ1WR
Great! I hope they work out for you, under technical details they say 12V
details.JPG

mccullek

I posted the specs above and it says 12 - 30 Volts. That came right from the listing. I will update this if I have any issues, but I did verify the specs before ordering them.
Got a chance to wash the HMMWV today, and I took some pics of these headlights. Pics attached. I like the clear glass and clean look of these, as many of the LEDs are very busy looking to me.

Attachments

mccullek

I’ve had those off amazon installed in my 1084 for over a year now with no issues. I forgot all about it until now seeing this post. Now that I’m reminded, I’ll probably pick up another set for the 1152 when it gets here.
They look good and are very bright. I haven't even driven at night with them yet, but I've turned them on and they look good and certainly light things up very well. I really like the clear glass of these. Many of the LED headlights are super busy and some are extremely expensive. These are reasonably priced, looked good and are bright. Sounds like they have held up for you so far too, so that's another plus in my book. Thanks for the feedback.

Godspeed131

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea they have held up great so far, the only flaw I foresee is a minor one. The lens being poly, is easily scratched so if you need to clean them off due to dirt/debris just be mindful of it and don’t just wipe dry out in the field like you would with glass.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So you advocate spending your money with Shenzhen Unishine Optoelectronics Co LTD as opposed to Truck-lite or JW Speaker who's designs they ripped off.

Autonomy_Lost

So you advocate spending your money with Shenzhen Unishine Optoelectronics Co LTD as opposed to Truck-lite or JW Speaker who's designs they ripped off.
Trucklight and JW Speaker have different designs than this. I avoided both based on reviews and research.

Just curious, where was your phone made?

Edit: my current headlights are mil issued trucklights, plus I have a spare. All three have intermittant issues with flickering on high beam

mccullek

This is a touchy subject. I like the idea of buying American, but if I can buy a quality product at a steep discount, I'm probably going with the discount. It's becoming impossible to buy American made any longer, because most everything is manufactured overseas, and that is a terrible thing in my opinion.

Maybe one day we can get back to building great American products as a whole again. JW Speaker was $500 to $600 and even Truck-lite was double the price. Maybe their product is better, but 200% to 600% more expensive is tough to swallow for my limited pocketbook. If you can swing a 600% increase for a similar product for simply buying American, hats off to you for doing so, and I mean that sincerely.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
What about this . . .

Joe Smith started the day early having set his alarm clock (MADE IN JAPAN) for 6 a.m.
While his coffeepot (MADE IN CHINA) was perking, he shaved with his electric razor (MADE IN HONG KONG).
He put on a dress shirt (MADE IN SRI LANKA), designer jeans (MADE IN SINGAPORE) and tennis shoes (MADE IN KOREA).
After cooking his breakfast in his new electric skillet (MADE IN INDIA) he sat down with his calculator (MADE IN MEXICO) to see how much he could spend today.

After setting his watch (MADE IN TAIWAN) to the radio (MADE IN INDIA) he got in his car (MADE IN GERMANY) and continued his search for a good paying AMERICAN JOB.

At the end of yet another discouraging and fruitless day, Joe decided to relax for a while.
He put on his sandals (MADE IN BRAZIL) poured himself a glass of wine (MADE IN FRANCE) and turned on his TV (MADE IN INDONESIA), and then Wondered why he can't find a good paying American job.

Gcelevator

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What about this . . .

Joe Smith started the day early having set his alarm clock (MADE IN JAPAN) for 6 a.m.
While his coffeepot (MADE IN CHINA) was perking, he shaved with his electric razor (MADE IN HONG KONG).
He put on a dress shirt (MADE IN SRI LANKA), designer jeans (MADE IN SINGAPORE) and tennis shoes (MADE IN KOREA).
After cooking his breakfast in his new electric skillet (MADE IN INDIA) he sat down with his calculator (MADE IN MEXICO) to see how much he could spend today.

After setting his watch (MADE IN TAIWAN) to the radio (MADE IN INDIA) he got in his car (MADE IN GERMANY) and continued his search for a good paying AMERICAN JOB.

At the end of yet another discouraging and fruitless day, Joe decided to relax for a while.
He put on his sandals (MADE IN BRAZIL) poured himself a glass of wine (MADE IN FRANCE) and turned on his TV (MADE IN INDONESIA), and then Wondered why he can't find a good paying American job.
Best i have ever heard.

rossbart

If one of the headlights is working correctly and the other one is not, I would not think it is the light switch or the dimmer switch but an issue out on the front end where the circuits split and or a headlight issue.
Mind if I add an inquiry: have new M1123. All lights work except passenger headlamp - and it worked intermittently initially but never now. Changed bulb. No change. Confirmed wire numbers are correct on both sides of hood.
Odd thing is that on that bad side if I do a continuity test on the #91 wire (to chassis ground) I get good continuity with switch off but lose continuity with the switch on? But, all the other lights still work? Could it be a bad switch or dimmer and only be killing my ground on one headlight wire?? Seems odd to me

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You probably have a bad ground to that light, when you check it with the lights off you are likely seeing continuity through the light filaments, that is why it goes away with the lights on.
But to answer your question, no a dimmer switch cannot affect the ground.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Mind if I add an inquiry: have new M1123. All lights work except passenger headlamp - and it worked intermittently initially but never now. Changed bulb. No change. Confirmed wire numbers are correct on both sides of hood.
Odd thing is that on that bad side if I do a continuity test on the #91 wire (to chassis ground) I get good continuity with switch off but lose continuity with the switch on? But, all the other lights still work? Could it be a bad switch or dimmer and only be killing my ground on one headlight wire?? Seems odd to me
?? Ground is ground. It does not work with any switch Hi/LO or the main. All hood #91xx primary and #92xx secondary are grounds spliced together in the hood harness. They terminate at the hood connector Pin E. then on the other side, to the #91xx to 79xx and on to the body ground tie point. Just info to the grounds.

Continuity ?? simple ohm meter reading may not be the most confirming when pulling current thru the suspect ground. Might and wouldn't hurt to try a simple ground wire to the lamp 91X in question.

I am still not clear with the info provided here... so is the lamp really good? How about looking at the problem from the voltage direction? ... Do I have voltage at the 17x high beam or 18x low beam leads with headlights on using 91x as the return and with a know good lamp in place.

These harnesses are VERY well built. Over time and abuse there could be a problem?? Maybe the hood connector (not likely if one side is working correctly) including the Packard ?

Best to pull the prints and follow along.

Electrical fixes over the internet is like playing darts with a blind fold on.

I took my turn in the general direction, CAMO 🎯

rossbart

?? Ground is ground. It does not work with any switch Hi/LO or the main. All hood #91xx primary and #92xx secondary are grounds spliced together in the hood harness. They terminate at the hood connector Pin E. then on the other side, to the #91xx to 79xx and on to the body ground tie point. Just info to the grounds.

Continuity ?? simple ohm meter reading may not be the most confirming when pulling current thru the suspect ground. Might and wouldn't hurt to try a simple ground wire to the lamp 91X in question.

I am still not clear with the info provided here... so is the lamp really good? How about looking at the problem from the voltage direction? ... Do I have voltage at the 17x high beam or 18x low beam leads with headlights on using 91x as the return and with a know good lamp in place.

These harnesses are VERY well built. Over time and abuse there could be a problem?? Maybe the hood connector (not likely if one side is working correctly) including the Packard ?

Best to pull the prints and follow along.

Electrical fixes over the internet is like playing darts with a blind fold on.

I took my turn in the general direction, CAMO 🎯
I’m definitely confused on the ground issue too. Was sitting here reading through troubleshooting (no help) and then the wiring harness picture. Like you say, would seem all grounds would tie together. And, yes, that harness looks to be in pristine condition.
Looks like a couple chassis grounds over on corner lights I can touch up. I’ve already run all the factory grounds from engine rear (as well as adding the 5-point supplemental ground harness from the drivers rear engine head bolt).
But, tomorrow I’ll swap the working headlight for the bad side and see what I get.
Thanks for the input. Will advise…

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks