• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Voltage regulator MEP002a alternative?

crazymechanic

Thanks keith
that helps Big time , I never messed with the upper wires on the block im so pissed this was always screwed up I only disconected the stator wires assuning everything else was good my wires are all wrong ,IM curious wether the mag is now bad as well possible demag from current , because I should have one good used stator still sense I got a used set, but I put it in and it still had low a/c voltage 20 something a/c , has 7 ohm across and no shorts from any directions , I guess stators are hard to diagnose with out proper tools , Im just going to put another new stator and reg on it , is there any way of testing the reg with a multimeter when its disconected to see if this is still Ok ?

thanks again !

Last edited:

Keith_J

Stators are dead simple coils. Sounds like an improperly connected stator-regulator. Which could have over-heated the stator, ruining the magnets and a new magnets ruining the rest.

Look over the wiring diagram. Stator is connected to the unmarked leads to the VR. The red banded end is the 28.5 volt output.

hedgehog69

Went to Electric Motor shop and took a look at generator today. New VR has been installed. Fired it up...runs like a champ. But...needle on guage still hanging in the yellow. He put the voltmeter to the batteries....25vdc + and climbing slowly. After about 5 min., it was up to 26vdc. We shut it off...getting smokey inside.
I guess I am puzzled as to why the voltage is climbing slowly...rather than jump up to where it is supposed to be.???? I guess my plan is to get it home...fire it up...put a load on it and let it run. Will monitor voltage at the battery to see if it continues to climb.

Keith_J

Deeply discharged batteries will do this. 6-8 amperes will not charge rapidly. Never operate without batteries connected.

Keith_J

These generators have enough battery to start in Arctic cold after running the glow plugs for two minutes.

amolaver

after much fumblef&*(ing around, i gave up on the solar charge controller / bridge rectifier. it just was not working, whether that's a testament to my lack of skill, magic smoke having escaped some component, or what have you, i decided to cut my losses and look for a simpler solution.

enter the noco gen2 genius marine charger. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003JSJS5I/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details up to 10amps delivered per battery, waterproof, epoxy potted, and seemingly heavy duty. got it installed today, fired up the gen and watched the battery meter climb to the middle of the green, and the charger go from red (charging) to green (fully charged) even with the operating draw of the gen.

i ran the gen for two hours, nothing negative to report so far. for $115, plug and play, this seems like a good solution...

ahm

hedgehog69

I FINALLY got my unit back from the shop with new VR installed. We started it up at the shop...the needle for the battery charging meter still in the yellow. He grabbed his volt meter and put it on the batteries. We were getting app. 25 v...but it gradually climbed to over 26 before we shut it down. Today was first chance I had to mess with it. Fired it up...got out my meter and was showing app. 26v. Needle on meter still on high side of yellow. I kept the test leads in place and again watched the voltage go up. it got up to 27.4 and I checked meter on the unit. It was in the green!!!!!! Guy at electric motor shop told me it should continue to go up. He was correct. I guess some electrical components gotta get synced up before it charges as it should???

DieselBob

Sounds like all is well. The battery gauge on these does not indicate the charging voltage. It indicates the state of charge of the batteries.

Control - BATTERY INDICATOR

Description - Green - fully charged: Yellow - charging: Red- Under or over charging

Function - Indicates the degree of charge of the batteries. Needle in the green area indicates fully charged between 26 and 30 volts. Needle in yellow area indicates charging condition between 20 and 26 volts. Needle in red area indicates an under charge or an over charge condition.

From the TM 5-6115-585-12.

hedgehog69

Sounds like all is well. The battery gauge on these does not indicate the charging voltage. It indicates the state of charge of the batteries.

Control - BATTERY INDICATOR

Description - Green - fully charged: Yellow - charging: Red- Under or over charging

Function - Indicates the degree of charge of the batteries. Needle in the green area indicates fully charged between 26 and 30 volts. Needle in yellow area indicates charging condition between 20 and 26 volts. Needle in red area indicates an under charge or an over charge condition.

From the TM 5-6115-585-12.
Ahhh! Missed that in the manual! Thanks!!

amolaver

after much fumblef&*(ing around, i gave up on the solar charge controller / bridge rectifier. it just was not working, whether that's a testament to my lack of skill, magic smoke having escaped some component, or what have you, i decided to cut my losses and look for a simpler solution.

enter the noco gen2 genius marine charger. Amazon.com: NOCO GEN2 NOCO Genius Black 12-24V 2-Bank 20A On-Board Battery Charger: Automotive up to 10amps delivered per battery, waterproof, epoxy potted, and seemingly heavy duty. got it installed today, fired up the gen and watched the battery meter climb to the middle of the green, and the charger go from red (charging) to green (fully charged) even with the operating draw of the gen.

i ran the gen for two hours, nothing negative to report so far. for $115, plug and play, this seems like a good solution...

ahm
just wanted to follow up on this. i've got almost 20 hours on this unit (the 'noco gen2 genius marine charger') and am extremely pleased with it. despite a goofy name, this appears to be a very well made, heavy duty and weatherproof fully potted relatively high amp dual bank charger. twice now, after sitting for a couple of weeks, i hit the glow plugs for 60 seconds and fire up the gen. switch the house to it for a full day each time, and when i go to shut it down, the charger is indicating 'green' - it is providing enough current to feed the pumps (and whatever other DC draw there is) and charge the battery to get it into 'maintenance' mode.

certainly 20 hours is not 100% definitive, but i am gaining confidence this is a good alternative to NOS regulators. yes, its $115. if my sieve-like mind can remember, i'll try and post follow ups at the 6 month and 1 year mark on how its holding up.

ahm

keithkam

more info please

hi amolaver,

i am new to the thanks to all you guys . the info is on point.i have the same problem with my gen mep 002,my vr went bad. i ordered the noco gen2 genius marine charger. if you could give some more info on how to install it it would help greatly .
thank you.
keithkam

amolaver

'installing' it is almost too grandiose a term. the charger has 5 connections to make. one lead for each positive and negative terminal on each battery (two batts so two positive and two negative terminals), and then you plug it into the convenience outlet (it has a standard 110v plug). that's it. i mounted the unit with heavy duty velcro (3m dual lock) to the top of the main output box - done.

ahm

amolaver

not sure i can answer that. my 003 had a box mounted on the inside of the fan housing that was the original (oem) battery charger. i did remove mine entirely, put a wire nut on the end of each wire, and zip tied them in place so they wouldn't go anywhere. i don't think i touched the stator during that process, so if you disconnected yours, i'm guessing it has to be reconnected.

ahm

keithkam

noco gen2 genius marine charger

thanks again,
the noco gen2 genius marine charger did the job batteries are charging fine.
super charger thank you amolaver

keithkam

mep 002 starts but no power

hi guys
started my mep002 today and no power, Hz dial 0, Volts 0 and no power at the
120 volt outlet. generator starts fine but no output . don't no if she's not exciting
not sure how to excite her . i tried holding the main switch about 5 sec. but did not work . any help greatly appreciated.

thank you

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks