• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Voltage regulator of generator problem?

vtach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I have an almost new generator/alternator that is not putting out any voltage. Truck running and batteries disconnected, the voltage is 0. Truck running and batteries hooked up 23.8 volts.

My question is could in be a regulator problem, or is it the generator? Not even sure where the reg is?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Which do you have? alternator or a generator?

You cannot disconnect the batteries while it is running, without possibly causing damage to the alternator. It needs to sense the voltage .

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have a generator, the voltage regulator will most likely be mounted on the firewall near the steering column.(big black box)

ironhorsethegeneral

You need to check the voltage between the generator and the regulator. Proper reading should be between 27.5 and 28.5. Test without the regulator connected will bring higher readings which is normal. This tells you that you have a regulator problem.

AMGeneral

I'm guessing that you just replaced the generator assmy with a new or R/B one?

If so,you did polarize the generator before you started using it right?

If it isn't properly polarized,it won't produce current.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks