• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Voltmeter replacement: Will this work?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You might be able to make it work but it is different than the ones used in the CUCVs

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
The one in clintogf's M1009 was markedly different. The gauge is lit using a bulb that snaps in the back, not the "side lighting" that the M-series trucks use. I don't remember it having a packard connector either, but I can't remember if it has a stud and an eyelet or a wiring connector.

I think ultimately you'll need to find the right one-that's what we did (hers was dead).

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't remember it having a packard connector either, but I can't remember if it has a stud and an eyelet or a wiring connector.
it is a GM plastic two wire electrical connector

idM1028

The one in clintogf's M1009 was markedly different. The gauge is lit using a bulb that snaps in the back, not the "side lighting" that the M-series trucks use. I don't remember it having a packard connector either, but I can't remember if it has a stud and an eyelet or a wiring connector.

I think ultimately you'll need to find the right one-that's what we did (hers was dead).
I'm not too worried about finding the "right one." I saw one on the dreaded flea-bay the other day and last I knew eastern surplus had about 10 parts CUCV's. I'd just rather buy a new one then take my chances with a used one that may or may not work. Honestly, I haven't even run through the troubleshooting section of the -20 for the voltmeter yet, but I'm thinking either the voltmeter or the relay is toast.

gijoe13

Is your truck still 24 volts. I converted mine to 12v so changed mine. Have the old one if you want to pay the shipping for it. As far as I know it still works. PM me if you want it.

idM1028

Is your truck still 24 volts. I converted mine to 12v so changed mine. Have the old one if you want to pay the shipping for it. As far as I know it still works. PM me if you want it.
Yep, its still 24V. I'm gonna be moved outta here by the end of the week, but if you've still got it when I get resettled I'd be happy to buy it. Like I said though I still haven't run through the troubleshooting section for the voltmeter in the -20 yet. I'm thinking it could also be the relay has gone bad.

gijoe13

Just let me know. I dont need money for it. Just pay the shipping. Good luck with your move. Thanks for your service!!!!!!

Larch

You may want to check if the 300ohm resistor on the back is working. My voltmeter was not working when I got my truck. I changed the resistor and it now works. Good luck

idM1028

You may want to check if the 300ohm resistor on the back is working. My voltmeter was not working when I got my truck. I changed the resistor and it now works. Good luck
Thanks for the heads up. Now that you mention it, it very well could be the resistor. The voltmeter doesn't seem to want to get above a certain point in the green no matter how many volts its getting. Last night I was getting 30+ volts across the batteries :shock: The voltmeter should have been reading WELL into the green, possibly border-line red. It still hadn't moved. . .

Larch

I went to radio shack and got (3) 100ohm resistors and wired them in line(series?). Others posts said you can get them at mouser.

combatmech

Radio shack also carries 300 ohm resistors in a pack of four or five. I just used one.... attached it to the posts were the stock resistor is and it works.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks