• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

VRC Antenna Differences

DoubleE

Hello everyone. I picked up a different antenna and found out it has a smaller base on it. I'm not sure what base I need. I see my base shows 3900A and the new antenna is just 3900. Is that what the difference is? Thanks for any inputs. new_antenna_lower.jpglowers.jpgBase2.jpgBase1.jpg

papakb

The AT-1729 antenna uses the MX-6707 base and is used with the VRC-12 family of radios. It uses the antenna base with the 3/4" thread on it (the smaller one). These were used with radios like the RT-524 and 246.

The AS-3900 (and A) uses the larger 1" thread and is used with the more modern sets. Functionally they're the same but if your using an AT-1729 with newer radios you'll have to adjust the frequency knob for the best RF match to the antenna.

There's a third antenna matching unit out there that was used with the older radios. It's nomenclature is MX-2799 and has a rectangular case but you don't see too many of them and it uses the small thread antenna base that won't interchange with the AT-1729.

When not in use it's a good thing to cover the matching unit top where the antenna screws on and PVC pipe caps work perfectly for this.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks