• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

W/W bumper extensions for a W/OW truck?

FDNY129

Hello all,
Half of you guys will probably crucify me for this, and the other half applaud the ingenuity, so here it goes....I am pondering the idea of using W/W bumper frame extensions on my W/OW truck to make a decent gap in between the bumper and frame. The purpose of this would be, to build a toolbox in that gap, rather than having it filled with the winch. Id like to have a large toolbox for snap lines, chains, a fire hose, tools in the center and then install OD Irons plates on the outer edge from fender to bumper, so i have something nice to stand on when working in the engine area.
As for those that say "why not add a winch", my answer is that I'll probably NEVER use it where I live, its all sandy beaches and no legal forest driving. And I can't justify the cost, when theres so many other good toys to add on to my Deuce.
My questions are:
1 - Has ANYBODY done a similar setup?
2 - Would I need anything besides the 2 frame extension plates? Or is there something that is part of the winch itself that, offers an integral part to the setup?
3 - ANY idea where I can get a set of these plates? I know theres a thousand winches that have rusted, died and been tossed, which means there are tons of plates lying around that will never be used. I'll pay, its just that no one advertises them.

Thanks in advance for all the help. I'll be sure to post pics once its done.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know one guy that has the extensions and no winch, just for a place to keep his BEER cooler!

OD Iron made up some plates(for sale on his site) that can be used to better use the space at the outer ends of the bumper too.

FDNY129

OD Iron made up some plates(for sale on his site) that can be used to better use the space at the outer ends of the bumper too.
Right, these are the OD Iron outer plates which I referenced, that I plan to use for stepping area, but any insight to the frame extensions plates?

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like the idea. It would also help protect the bottom of the radiator. don't block too much air from the radiator with the toolbox though. A build called Diabolo put diamondplate in the gaps between the bumper ends and the fenders I think.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Right, these are the OD Iron outer plates which I referenced, that I plan to use for stepping area, but any insight to the frame extensions plates?
Saturn used to show them on their website but I do not know if they still have any.

FDNY129

My plan is to make a tool box that sinks down below the bumper line (like fire trucks have now), and just has its lid at the top of the bumper. No grill blocking at all, plus its another surface to stand upon while working. As for the bottom of that toolbox, since it will now be sticking out front and low, I'll use a straight edge from the bumper to the axle, and find a safe angle so that the box will not hit anything if I did ever have to approach an obstacle. I plan on making the toolbox bottom heavy and similar to a skid plate, so everything will just roll off of it.

Last edited:

FDNY129

Clinto, Any idea what the official name or PN is for the frame extension brackets are?, The closest thing I see on Saturn is # 2540-00-753-8685, they call it "Bracket - Winch", no pic available of course, and customer service doesn't know what it is.....

peecook

i have that setup on mine and love it. there were four pieces for the frame extensions. i got mine from Winslow's in NC. i think i paid around $150/200 for them.

FDNY129

Found Frame extensions at Eastern for $350 :roll:, are they crazy?
Someone has to have a pair lying around that I can buy.

For all those that aren't follwing this is what I'm looking for:

Attachments

peecook

i can take some this weekend, but you have the two that are extensions and then the other two that hold the winch. maybe someone else can chime in if you have to have the other 2 that hold the winch or can bypass and use washers for the space. i'll post up this weekend.

Blood_of_Tyrants

Go to a local scrap yard and cut some pieces off of the frame of a junked truck or bus and drill your own holes. Get enough so that you can cut pieces to use as gusset plates.

For that matter, have the frame extensions welded on.

Preacherboy

I was going to say that I saw them once on Eastern Surplus's website, but I thought that was a high price as well. One could certainly make their own at a better price than that.

Chieftawny

Colemans have them. Ask for John, he's the man in-charge of the duece goody's. I was out today looking for a duece and John was showing me ard and he told me if one of the trucks i wanted didn't have a winch they would put one on. "We have lots of winch conversion parts" he said.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
These brackets are also listed as part of the Winch kit, are they nescessary to secure my bumper in an extended position, or just for the winch setup?
Yes, those two pieces are needed also to attach the bumper.

I'm not sure I wouldn't just do what B of T said. Just add a section of frame off of an old truck. I've got a spare set of brackets but I've got a spare winch also and I hate to seperate them.

mckeeranger

The winch brackets do fill the space between the frame extensions and the bumper. If you don't use them, you'll have to fab something in their place.

The brackets and extensions on our #1 M35 were fabricated, probably during the Depot Rebuild it went through in 1990.

The only problem I see with the fabricated extensions; if you were to bottom out the bumper going up a steep grade, like a creek bank, the square bottom would gouge the ground more than the radius on the "factory" extensions.

Here are some pix:

Attachments

Last edited:

Jake0147

There's always an exception to every rule, yours could be it mckeeranger, but I think those are just an earlier version (or a different brand?) of the brackets. Many trucks,especially older ones have them.

To relate that back to the original post, if there's going to be fabrication involved anyhow... with the tool box and what not...
If one were to ditch the idea of using commercially available inserts for the outside areas, the fabricated mounts could make a great starting point. They are generally regarded as more stout than the stamped version, and their construction is very very simple, and all hand done. From that you should be able to make a pattern to put the bumper wherever you want it. The winch really does move the bumper out quite a ways, and half or two thirds of that would make a wonderful walking platform without having the bumper stick out so far. The extension and the raising of the bumper (and the flipping of it for that matter) would be discretionary and could be tailor made to fit the exact use of the space. Also, for storage purposes, the lower the front bumper is, the deeper the side storage areas can become.

Just thinking out loud... it's your project, just don't be locked into the one idea of the extensions/brackets without considering other choices. Size 11 for spacial reference...

Attachments