• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

W400 Ambulance: aka: Dubya Four Hundred Bambulance: I GOT ONE!!!!!!!!!!!

michigandon

The big concern with the roll roofing is to make sure your bracing/cross members are just so. That stuff is 22 gauge, just like car parts stores sell.
Thinking about installing some additional ones. Most of the hat channel looks to be salvageable. There are also a few Z-bars that appear to be too far gone.

Contemplating using some galvanized unistrut? I cannot find hat channel quite like this to save my life. Also thinking about using a combination of self-tapping screws and 3m panel adhesive to put the roofing down.

41WC18

MMM Panel Adhesive is expensive but holds amazingly well. That and a moderate amount of s.t. screws would pretty much assure a secure roof.

michigandon

Sure was.

I blame the spot welds that were used to tack it together.

I have come to the conclusion that Mark Body and Equipment never intended for this thing to last as log as it dd.

41WC18

Those are GREAT shots of work in progress! I was wondering just how these were set up. This gives me some inspiration to do some remedial work on mine.
Agreed on the planned longevity of these - made for the Gov't by contract - NOT gonna be engineered for 40+ years of use.

I was driving the '77 Camo today and as usual it's quite comical seeing the different reactions from folks out & about. I guess they just don't "get it" :grin::cookoo:

michigandon

Found a guy parting out a motorhome on Craigslist and scored myself a rooftop AC unit WITH heat strip today! Never know whether or not you'll be freezing or frying at Durhamtown or Denton, so this is exactly what the doctor ordered, IMHO.

Attachments

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Might have a line on some axles for ya, nothing solid yet but met a guy that said he would trade a set of 1 ton axles geared for a Cummins for the W400 axles. He is supposed to come check out the M886 this week & I'll get more info on this at that time.

michigandon

I had been planning on biting the bullet and just having my current ones regeared. I had a D70 4.10 ring and pinion gifted to me from one of my old TDR friends, and a got on good deal on a Powerlock carrier on Craigslist to go with it. Also have a 4.10-down D60 open carrier on hand for the front.

michigandon

As of right now, none to write home about, regrettably.

Hoping to make some more headway this week, while most everyone else is enjoying themselves at Durhamtown.

At a MINIMUM, I need to get the roof back on this thing before snow flies.

michigandon

Managed to finally get the roof skin on. Not so sure I'm happy with the way it turned out, but I guess it's better than it was.

More pics coming soon.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks