• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wack a Door or something???

papercu

doors

Doors are heavy and will sag to the rear due to age, if your has screws on the hinges you may be able to loosen them and move the doors up some Be sure to mark the original positions before doing anything. Some Chevys have welded hinges, then about all you can do is use a bottle jack and a 2 x 4 to spread the load and maybe shove it back up some. Wayne

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: doors

Need to check the pins and bushings first. Open the door and try to lift the end of the door. If it lifts and has play, you need to replace the pins and bushings before any further adjustment.

littlebob

Doesn't look bad for a military vehicle to me. For the doors to line up when closed you would probably need to loosten up the post that engages the latch and
that will hold up when closed. Once you got it looking good youcld try and adjust the hinges to make it close smoothly. All of the vehicles I adjusted were a PITA,
because I never wanted to replace the hinges and do it right.
littlebob

AJMBLAZER

Check the hinges and pins. This generation Chevy is famous for those getting "saggy". My wife can't get the doors to shut right without putting both hands on the handle and SLAM!

SuperchargedRS

Re: RE: doors

AJMBLAZER said:
Check the hinges and pins. This generation Chevy is famous for those getting "saggy". My wife can't get the doors to shut right without putting both hands on the handle and SLAM!
Will do,

So make sure the integerity of the hinges is O.K., then
1)adjust the bolt on the door frame (the park the latch latches to?)
2) loosen the bolts on the hinges and adjust
IS THAT RIGHT, AND IN THAT ORDER?????

Also what about THE HOOD??
(man people never want to talk about whats up in the hood huh lol)

acetomatoco

RE: Re: RE: doors

I leave mine the way they are, cuz they are a Chevy.. Radius of door tin does not match body to begin with, and with no rain gutters, if you get em adjusted so they look good, the water runs all over your seat and floor...

AJMBLAZER

RE: Re: RE: doors

New door seal rubber fixed my leaky door problems.

I'd do the hinges first. I hear a lot more about that than the striker assembly.

SuperchargedRS

I think it will match when properly aligned.

And the CUCV M1009 DOES have rain gutters on the door frame...

I also have ALL new weatherstripping for the truck.

Back to the question....

=========================================
So make sure the integerity of the hinges is O.K., then
1)adjust the bolt on the door frame (the park the latch latches to?)
2) loosen the bolts on the hinges and adjust
IS THAT RIGHT, AND IN THAT ORDER?????

Also what about THE HOOD??
(man people never want to talk about whats up in the hood huh lol)

SuperchargedRS

Well I tried to find any slack in the hinges, I was able to rock the entire truck w/o feeling up and down slack... I guess this means that the doors hinges are in good shape.

So again now what to align everything!!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You will most likely need a door hinge wrench or at least an S shaped wrench. Have a looksee at your doors and determine what needs to move. For the most part you can loosen 2 of the 3 bolts on the bottom hinge where it bolts to the cab and and then while supporting the door, loosen the 3 top bolts where the hinge bolts to the can and raise the end of the door and resecure. Remember, door up, down fore and aft movements are made where the hinge bolts to the cab. Door in and out adjustments are made where the hinge bolts to the door. Oh yeah, as far as the striker, make sure it still has a nylon or plastic sleeve on it. New ones can be had in the Help isle at the auto parts store. They are adjustable too.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Doors can be a real PITA. Eastwood has a tool that hooks to the door latch and the pin on the B-pillar. You stick a breaker bar on it and it allows you to tweak the door without loosening the bolts. This is for fine adjustment, not big changes. For more than a 1/4" you will be better off loosening the body-side hinge bolts a bit and lifting the door up or down.

The hood is a little easier IMO. If it is a small adjustment, trace the mounts with a marker and loosen the 4 bolts on the side that needs to go in or out. If it is a big adjustment, you may need to loosen both sides. Just don't get it back too far or else you'll start snagging the cowl every time you open and shut the hood. If the hood is a little bent in the middle from some GI standing on it or if the glue between the frame and the skin is failing, it will make it tough to get it perfect. Have fun :)

SuperchargedRS

steelsoldiers said:
Doors can be a real PITA. Eastwood has a tool that hooks to the door latch and the pin on the B-pillar. You stick a breaker bar on it and it allows you to tweak the door without loosening the bolts. This is for fine adjustment, not big changes. For more than a 1/4" you will be better off loosening the body-side hinge bolts a bit and lifting the door up or down.

The hood is a little easier IMO. If it is a small adjustment, trace the mounts with a marker and loosen the 4 bolts on the side that needs to go in or out. If it is a big adjustment, you may need to loosen both sides. Just don't get it back too far or else you'll start snagging the cowl every time you open and shut the hood. If the hood is a little bent in the middle from some GI standing on it or if the glue between the frame and the skin is failing, it will make it tough to get it perfect. Have fun :)

I will try the door adjustments you guys reccomended and let ya know what happens.

ON MY HOOD the skin of the hood is comming loose from the frame of the hood (no dents though), how should I fix this???????

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
You can buy body panel adhesive in a tube to fit your caulking gun. Many body shop supply places will have it. You'll probably have to take the hood off, lay it top down, clean off the old stuff, put a glob of the new stuff on in each spot and then weigh the frame down enough to maintain contact until it dries.

lindyp38

my door...was recently replaced..........it needs to move closer to the upper portion of the cab........

how do i adjust that.......so it moves closer to the top part of the door frame.....

i compared iwth the drivers side....and its way out.......

thanks