• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wait to start light flashing

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe it's just my eyes and this thing is just florescent. BTW it's a little cooler today then the last time I started it and the wait light did what it's supposed to, what's up with that?

Attachments

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe it's just my eyes and this thing is just florescent. BTW it's a little cooler today then the last time I started it and the wait light did what it's supposed to, what's up with that?
Just an observation from my 20 years of parts selling in a past life. That clear poly hose normally does not do well long haul. That hose tends to harden, turn yellow, and brittle more than multi layered reinforced rubber fuel hose. fwiw

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just an observation from my 20 years of parts selling in a past life. That clear poly hose normally does not do well long haul. That hose tends to harden, turn yellow, and brittle more than multi layered reinforced rubber fuel hose. fwiw
Yeah I put it there for diagnostic purposes, will be removing soon, But thanks. Recently had the fuel injection pump seals replaced, just making sure it's all good.

Last edited:

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ive never noticed that before. And, that dot is on your wiring harness connector, not the TSU. Unplug it (squeeze and pull) and see what is on the inside of the connector.
Well yeah but it has something to do with the TSU. I've already pulled it, just has the connectors for the pins to go in on the bottom. 6 pin Haven't noticed it glowing like I swear it did before I got the glow plugs replaced when they did the fuel injector pump seals. Doesn't appear to push in but I'm not going to put a lot of pressure on it :) , it's a bulb for something.....

Attachments

Last edited:

Action

I went back out and did see it on mine. It does not light up. Mine is flush on top. I think it is just a plug for a hole that wasn't needed in that plug.

mdss

Here guys, this should help clear things up a bit.

"Start Control Box versions:

Older versions are called PCB – Protective Control Box* – They use a Glow Plug Controller instead of a TSU and are generally not favored. Some versions, like the LAU PCBs have been known to start HMMWVs on their own and burn trucks to to the ground.

Then there was the EESS – Engine Electrical Start System – These use TSU.

Newer versions are called S3 – Smart Start System – Also uses TSU.

Not sure what the difference is between EESS & S3. Leave a comment if you know.

KDS Smart Start System (S3) P/N 6500391, CR-2701. NSN 6110015427901. *Replaces P/N 12479192, NSN 6110014912158."

If you want to read the full post go to

http://gear-report.com/help-hmmwv-wont-start-humvee-glow-plug-start-system-maintenance

I would just post pics and whole article here etc but I can't post up pictures for some reason so go check out the link. I trust moderators will not delete this as it has some extremely helpful information for hmmvw owners. This basically solved all problems with ignition on the humvee and is extremely well written imo. So It deserves to be shared with all the members here as you will learn the differences in the boxes etc and problems surrounding them! Have fun!

Ps: I am in no way affiliated with the author or anyone in that link. It was just so well written it needed to be shared with the ss community.

Last edited:

owensexport

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is a plug to fill the empty hole in the connector

Well yeah but it has something to do with the TSU. I've already pulled it, just has the connectors for the pins to go in on the bottom. 6 pin Haven't noticed it glowing like I swear it did before I got the glow plugs replaced when they did the fuel injector pump seals. Doesn't appear to push in but I'm not going to put a lot of pressure on it :) , it's a bulb for something.....

aconway

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Greg,

Did you have an S3 prior to installing the Nartron S3? I had a 1993 that had an S3 and mine would blink 14 times before going out. I replaced my TSU with a yellow band from Kascar ($25) and it resolved my issue and it works perfectly now. Previously I had a silver band TSU. I suspected they didn't replace my TSU when they installed an S3 which caused the error code. Prior to the TSU replacement, I tried replacing my glow plugs which didn't help in my case.
joeberg, mine is doing identical. 14 blinks and starts fine. The guy I bought it from said he replaced the start box with the "newest" one out. I may buy the yellow label like you and give it a try. It does start just fine now, but I'd like to have it work correctly...
thanks for posting your experience.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks