• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wait to start light mod

saltman

Curious what everyone's thoughts are on taking the dark blue ground wire on the light circuit and splicing it into the light blue solenoid ground wire to keep better/more visible tabs on the controller? Also thought about doing it by permanently grounding the light and using the solenoid's hot side to power the circuit as an added measure to make sure the solenoid is functioning properly. Does anyone know off hand if there is already a 12v reference coming back in the cab from the solenoid or is it only to the glow plugs? Thanks!!

cucvrus

Why? Just replace the circuit card and let the system take care of itself. No really I don't understand what you are trying to do. But if it were mine instead of cutting wires I would read up on the glow plug system and fix it the right way. Or just start cutting wires and make it another CUCV that has electrical and starting issues. Good Luck. Do as you wish. Happy Holidays.rs_500x326-141217151556-TheGrinchCartoonhappy grinch.gif

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What he is trying to do is, get a visual indication when the GP relay is on.

I understand this because I understand the circuitry involved and from what he posted.

I hate to say this so boldly but, If you don't understand what someone posts, then sometimes it's better off you post no reply at all.(unless you want to understand them)

Many people are not just parts changers only, and they like to either understand things/diagnose them, or actually modify things to suit their desires.

So, since the relay is fed 12v constantly and the light blue wire supplies ground(to actuate the relay), there is no 12v + fed into the cab that you could tap into for this idea.

Also, since the controller has a voltage sense wire on the output of the relay, you really don't want to ad much more load there. You could use an LED that is safe for 12-24 volts and add it to the GP load(relay output). You could tap into the orange wire at the controller for this to get the glowplug + voltage.

An even more useful idea would be to add a voltmeter to this orange wire. Then you could see the voltage drop and know if you have a bad GP. This would not work if you have done the resistor bypass.

Last edited:

cucvrus

You are a Genius. I am so sorry that all I do is try to help people out. But the guy had 2 posts and it seems that many think the only way to get the CUCV glow plug system to work is to cut wires and modify things. Thus my reply to do as he wishes cut the wires or just replace the circuit card and repair the existing system. It was all in helpful advise. And on another note. I can build things and do and I do replace parts and diagnose things so I replace the correct parts. And I am glad to see that this thread has been moved to where it belongs. . CUCV Hot Rodding and Modification That is where many that are in the CUCV section belong. Happy Holidays Doghead. And I am still here to be your whipping post the whole way thru the holiday season and beyond. I posted your Christmas Avatar for you as a token of Holiday cheer and inspiration of peace on earth goodwill towards men and CUCV's. imagesDoG head.jpgimagesdog grinch.jpg

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh, I think I recall Antennaclimbers new controller cards have lights on them for this very purpose.

Karl???

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's very easy to verify glow plug operation with the voltmeter. The voltage goes down as the glow plugs turn on.

Drock

Agree with (cucvrus) & (tow4). Keep it simple so it can be easily serviceable. If you've done the Dog head relay mod (like you should have). The voltmeter will drop and there will be an audible "clunk" when the relay engages.2cents

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Drock, the DH relay mod has NOTHING to do with the GP relay or GP system.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
FWIW, you could easily use the light blue wire to supply the ground to a small cube relay, that would turn on a light when the GP relay is actuated.

Last edited:

saltman

DING DING DING, doghead you're the man. You read the post from a technical perspective and knew exactly what I was trying to accomplish which has nothing to do with "repairing" my current fully functioning gp system. Like doghead pointed out not all of us are parts swappers or wire cutters without good reason. I may have two posts, but also years of experience in the automotive oem world. Cheers and merry Christmas to all and thank you doghead for the spot-on reply!

saltman

I also might add for others commenting on the obvious audible/visual cues from the components already in place..... this is all well and good for people like us that know what to look/listen for, but my wife, kids, friends etc. whom also drive the vehicle do not need to know all that vs. glance at a light and know the majority of the system is functioning as designed. The oem wait light is nothing more than a timed dummy light calculated by temp reference.

Drock

Well if you feel you really need a light. why not have it indicate the FULL warm up cycle. And go off once the high idle turns off.

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
FWIW, you could easily use the light blue wire to supply the ground to a small cube relay, that would turn on a light when the GP relay is actuated.
That's similar to what I did to my M1009.

I added a volt meter that shows the voltage on the glow plug side of the relay when the glow plug relay is closed. After the glow plug relay opens, the volt meter indicates the 12 volt side of the vehicle electrical system.

You could have a light in place of the volt meter or both could be wired in.

Last edited:

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh, I think I recall Antennaclimbers new controller cards have lights on them for this very purpose.

Karl???
The GP cards have 3 LED indicators.

GREEN -- Card has power applied to it.
YELLOW-- Same a WAIT light
RED -- Card is sending ground command to the GP relay

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe add, unless it is already there, terminals or a connector to make those lights remote-mount?
That's a great idea.

Believe it or not, we have looked into making a remote LED board for the GP cards but the price to incorporate the change in the current PC boards would not be cost justifiable for the limited number of remotes that would be sold.

It is a good idea and can be done very easily with a 4 conductor wire and some LED's.

I may have to revisit this idea, it will give me something to do on Christmas day.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The GP cards have 3 LED indicators.

GREEN -- Card has power applied to it.
YELLOW-- Same a WAIT light
RED -- Card is sending ground command to the GP relay
I do not have one of your new cards.

Am I missing something?
How are you supposed to see this when it is under dash and inside the card box?

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I put them on to aid with troubleshooting. A quick glance at it will visually confirm certain functions.

Saves time and effort trying to get a volt meter up under the dash.