• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

waiting for the tow truck

watkinssr

Just bought my m1009, been wanting one for a while. It's supposed in route.

I think the tow truck driver is keeping it for himself.

I never did like to wait.

Anyway, it's been sitting since the guy I bought from bought it at auction back in October...broken starter bolt (I've read the threads here about it)...got two brand new bolts to put on, should be able to get that fixed. Anything I should check/do before trying to fire it up?

ultim8gamr

.broken starter bolt (I've read the threads here about it)...got two brand new bolts to put on, should be able to get that fixed.
If the starter bolts are broken, there's a good chance it's because the starter bracket is missing. I broke 2 or 3 starter bolts before I got the bracket and solved the problem. Go you your local GM dealer, they're cheap enough.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the OD Madness. You will not be able to stop at just one......

While you are waiting check out the CUCV Wiki and download the Tech Manuals. They are linked there.

Cucv - Steel Soldiers::Military Vehicles Supersite

Start reading the TM 9-2320-289-10 Operators Manual to familarise yourself with the truck.

And then checkout the CUCV FAQ

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/20600-faq-thread-cucvs.html

If you are missing the mounting bracket, there are two different types. They are the direct drive and the gear reduction.

Here are a couple of links to help you with the part numbers/type.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/49893-dumb-newbie-starter-question.html?highlight=bracket

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/51593-starter-starter-relay.html?highlight=bracket

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
....Anything I should check/do before trying to fire it up?
Check the fluids, charge the batteries, disconnect the "Pink" wire on the injector pump and crank for a few seconds to lube the lifters/etc. This also helps check for hydrostatic lock in the cylinders.

Also while you are cranking , open the bleeder valve on the fuel filter to check for fuel.

Once you get everything set, reconnect the "pink" wire and try to start the truck.

If the Glowplug system is still hooked up DO NOT use starter fluid as you may explode a cylinder.

Check these items and let us know.

There will be more issues with lights, alternators, etc............. be prepared

ONTOS66

Congratulations on your new Toy. When you aren't busy fixing something on it .. you will be looking for other green stuff .. or accessories for the M1009 .. or .... it just goes on and on. You'll probably find a number of small minor - but irritating things like dash board lights .. lots of them and two ways to do it .. crawl under and feel or pull the dash, clean the connections and replace the bulbs.

After I got my M1009, I got an M116A1 Pioneer Tool Trailer (because of these guys at SS talking about them) .. then moved on to an M1028 with S250 electrical equipment shelter .. see how it works. ;)

Green Iron is contagious and spreads!!

As you have probably figured out, there is a lot of information about CUCVs and other green stuff on this site. Check the threads when you have a problem 'cause someone has probably had whatever problem you are experiencing at some time in the past.

Hope you have fun with yours. Mine will be in 4 parades later this month, then some road trips .. to look for more parts and such.

watkinssr

Congratulations on your new Toy. When you aren't busy fixing something on it .. you will be looking for other green stuff .. or accessories for the M1009 .. or .... it just goes on and on. You'll probably find a number of small minor - but irritating things like dash board lights .. lots of them and two ways to do it .. crawl under and feel or pull the dash, clean the connections and replace the bulbs.

After I got my M1009, I got an M116A1 Pioneer Tool Trailer (because of these guys at SS talking about them) .. then moved on to an M1028 with S250 electrical equipment shelter .. see how it works. ;)

Green Iron is contagious and spreads!!

As you have probably figured out, there is a lot of information about CUCVs and other green stuff on this site. Check the threads when you have a problem 'cause someone has probably had whatever problem you are experiencing at some time in the past.

Hope you have fun with yours. Mine will be in 4 parades later this month, then some road trips .. to look for more parts and such.
Thanks...

There are accessories? Cool....

there were three starter bolts in the back of the truck, american instead of metric...one of them broken. This is going to be fun.

also, the front drive shaft is missing. Will a civvy one work? Not high on my priority list today, but I want the 4 wheel drive working at some point.

T_F_E

Thanks...

There are accessories? Cool....

there were three starter bolts in the back of the truck, american instead of metric...one of them broken. This is going to be fun.

also, the front drive shaft is missing. Will a civvy one work? Not high on my priority list today, but I want the 4 wheel drive working at some point.
yup drive shaft will work fine

linx310

Was this the one craigslist a few days ago? If you don't mind me asking what did you get it for?

Last edited:

The G Man

Congrats..It looks like a good father and son project. Have fun and enjoy your first one...I say that because I am sure you will get more.. Alot of good free info on here and the people know there stuff. Take care and good luck

watkinssr

Ok, so far, from what I've determined.

At least one of the batteries holds a charge,
it has good tires, that I assume the guy who bought it fromt he auction put on.
it has a new transmission and tc
it has a new 24 volt starter

Issues:

The front drive shaft is missing, as is the tin cover from the tc on the tranny.
the rear window crank is missing the lock cylinder. Wedging a screwdriver in there makes it work though.
someone tried to put standard bolts in to hold the starter and broke one....
the starter brace is missing
the m16's are missing from the racks in the back seat.
I cant figure out where the cup holders are.
My hippie friends want to paint it to look like Ken Kesey's bus.
And most important, it's raining out there and I can go out and work on it....

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The cupholders are in the civy console you haven't purchased yet. Or they might be in the 20MM ammo can you will use as a console. Either way you need to fill the void between the seats, that is dead space.

watkinssr

The guy who did this to this poor truck should have his tools taken away from him.

I was lucky, in a way, he used the wrong bolts on the starter, but he used grade 5 wrong bolts...so at least it's a little easier to drill through.

Oh, did these come on many of them? All the ones I've seen just had the hook.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks