• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Waiting on a M817 with winch by chance???

91W350

We saw this nice looking M817 on a Smoth Operators Truck in Southeastern Missouri, along US 54. It was not as long as I expected. It was on singles, 16.00X20s. Nice truck, wish it was coming to my place. Glen

Attachments

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone else think that those tires look way too big for that truck? The tires almost touch betweem the rear axles.

91W350

The photo of just the tires has my billfold between them. It would not pass through and it was not because I had a large roll of cash in there, wish I did. I wonder how much they scrub against each other in mud. Not the tires themselves, but the opposing balls of mud.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Man, I did not see your wallet in there. I also wondered if the tires would rub the underside of the fender and bed when off-roading.

91W350

Yes, it is covered with salt or that calcium magnesium acetate solution that some states, including Kansas are using. Either way, it needs to be washed off as soon as possible with lots of pressure and hot soapy water.

91W350

Bruce, it sure looks like it would. I would love to have a 5 ton on those tires, but I want a 4x4 version.... (slap me now) with a shortened deuce bed. I would like to get a M818 and cut a corner out of the bed when we shorten it for the spare tire mount, then squaring up the front of the box by making a toolbox in the little rectangular corner left by the cut out. I found a nice drop side bed, I am just short a five ton. This M817 would be great, I could surely sell off the bed and hoist parts. Glen

Last edited:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
With 10 or 20K lbs in the bed, I'll bet that poor thing can't even get out of it's own way.

Big tires may look cool but they kill the driveability of these trucks.

Rgdl

Bruce, it sure looks like it would. I would love to have a 5 ton on those tires, but I want a 4x4 version.... (slap me now) with a shortened deuce bed. I would like to get a M818 and cut a corner out of the bed when we sorten it for the spare tire mount, then squaring up the front of the box by making a toolbox in the little rectangular corner left by the cut out. I found a nice drop side bed, I am just short a five ton. This M817 would be great, I could surely sell off the bed and hoist parts. Glen
I have a similar idea but using a Unimog 404 drop-side bed on an M-818.

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
I have 1600s on my 817 and they do not rub the bed or touch each other,and i use my truck off road in my excavating business.I know they look like they would.

ODdave

"Big tires may look cool but they kill the driveability of these trucks"

i dont know about the 5-tons but I put 395's on my m35 and it greatly increased the ease of drivability. plenty of power and turns WAY easier.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
"Big tires may look cool but they kill the driveability of these trucks"

i dont know about the 5-tons but I put 395's on my m35 and it greatly increased the ease of drivability. plenty of power and turns WAY easier.
I was more referring to the M809 series-very heavy, non turbocharged, etc.

Go ask a wrecker owner, or better yet, JWaller and his 818.

91W350

I do not know, but I would expect a lot less tire scrubbing from the large singles than we have from the tandem duals. Looks to me like they would make the truck less bound up steering on hard surfaces, or less likely to push the front tires. I would also think we would suffer a little power loss from the taller tires. If you are like me and never planned to haul much more than a couple of dogs and maybe some spare parts around or camping gear, I doubt we would ever miss the power.

KsM715

So who buys these trucks for their driveability? As soon as I get the deuce bed w/dump capability on my 818 the next step is 14 or 16's. (I'm leaning towards the 16's)

I put the 16's on the M819 out of desperation.

the 1200's it came on were junk and I allready had the 16's here.

they look cool but rob a lot of the small amount availible power.

it was nice to run down the road with and even pass other vehicles.

i have since found a set of 1100 radials and It's much happier.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks