• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wal-Mart Krylon Camo Paint (Finally Done)

fredrader

Hi All,Well I decided to go the low-tech route and rattle can my deuce with the Olive Krylon from walmart..$2.65 a can and I figure about 20 cans and a couple cans of primer and about a day of wire brushing,Taping,Priming the bare spots and painting..Oh and a lot of can shaking :banghead: ...I got a start on it today and got the bed cleaned and primed and one site painted [thumbzup] ..I used 6 cans of the Krylon and a little over a can of primer so far..I have to go to another walmart tomorrow and get some more Olive Krylon tomorrow because 6 cans was all they had at the store I went to..My buddy chris (Elohim1) picked up 9 cans for me at the walmart by him so he will be over tomorrow afternoon to help spray..

Elwenil

Yeah, I've been experimenting with that stuff on my 715. It actually looks real good and lays nice when you use the red oxide colored primer. I didn't have a lot of luck getting it to look right with the grey primer they recommend on the can. If you take you time you can eliminate the spray marks and it looks real good. Here's a pic of my experiment on the tail end of my 715:

fredrader

Look's great,I figure I would go this route since it's cheap and I can do it myself..I just wish I had a place inside to do it..It would take a lot less paint since the wind blows a lot of it away..

As usual I didn't read the instructions to see what color primer to use but I wanted it dark as possible so I went with the red...I probably could have used black but they didn't have any.

fredrader

Getting there :banghead: If the wind would stop I could get by with halv the paint I am having to use..I am up to 18 cans and still have the hood and one side of the cab to do...

fredrader

Ok,After 24 cans of the walmart Krylon camo (Olive) spray paint I finally finnished the body of my deuce..I did mine outside and at times was a little breezy so I wound up wasting a lot of paint in the air.. :banghead: I like the color and it will be very easy to touch up..$2.63 a can x 24 + 2 cans primer @ .99ea = $70 paintjob.

Elwenil

Hey, that's still not bad to paint a truck that big for $70. A lot better than Maaco, lol. I'm painting my 715 for the exact reason you did. It's cheap and touch up paint is readily available. I figure between wire wheels, paint and primer I should have about $75-80 in mine when I get done. That's with painting the frame and interior as well and adding the 3 color NATO pattern. If I get a S-25 shelter like I want, that will probably take it up to $100, but it looks good and should be easy to do.

fredrader

It will take a lot less paint if you can do it inside out of the wind and the overspray won't be nearly as bad..I am going to do the underside a little at a time with the same stuff..A lot of wire brushing to be done there :banghead: ..Good luck..

fredrader

Good luck with the wind..I hope you can catch a VERY calm day and you won't have nearly the overspray I had..It dried in the air and landed on the truck and you could wipe it off with your hand and it looked like thick dark dust or fine sand..Keep us informed with your progress [thumbzup] Oh ,where did you get it and what paint did you get???I want to buy some more paint but I want the DARK olive like the USMC uses..

Opie

Does RAPCO have a website up and running? I haven't found it if they do.

I'm about ready to go ahead and use Krylon in the spray can this summer, as all the hoops and expense that folks jump through seem a little too much for the dilettante MV collector such as myself. (Plus these spray can pics look just great!)

fredrader

I did a search for rapco parts company and came up with an airplane parts company but couldn't find the OD paint...I still need paint for the inside of my bed area and for the wood racks and troop seats..I sure don't want to spray these I want to mop it on...

red devils dude

here they are
RAPCO Parts Company
c/o Mark Dodd
PO Box 91
Bowie, TX
tel 940-872-2403
fax 940-872-3406

I going to call them tomorrow I'l let you know if the number is good.

rdixiemiller

I'm going to cheat on my truck. i have a $3500 electrostatic spray gun at work that I can use. The gun charges the paint at 45000 volts (5 microamps). You ground your truck with a heavy copper wire to a ground rod and have at it. It really makes spraying the underbody easier, the paint "wraps" around irregular shapes. You can actually put about 3/4 of the paint on the back side of a metal part as you are spraying on the front. Overspray is drawn to the metal truck body like iron filings to a magnet.

Loose Deuce

I ordered two gallons of that Red Primer, one gal. 383 green and one gal. OD semi gloss this past Tuesday from Rapco Parts, hope it gets here Monday. They said they have been working hard to get the Web Site going but nothing yet.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought my last 2 cases of paint from Rapco. The phone is the best bet. As far as the rattle cans, I use them on wheels and almost always use Rustoleum primer. I've always been intimidated by the spray gun but in early 2003 I finally decided to try it. I've got a compressor so I picked up a seperator from Harbor Frieght for around $38 and a overseas copy of the Binks #7 for around $20 on Ebay. Man what a difference. I painted the previously tan deuce to 383 green with 2 gallons. It was pretty quick and the coverage was great. Did it outside and thinned with mineral spirits 25%. Probably got $75 or $80 in it. Judge for yourself!

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also try the Krylon ultra flat black. It's great for painting rims, stencils, or the black camo areas. It is a perfect match with black CARC. It is much more flat than the Gillespie black, which, in my experience, comes out a tad shiny. The rest of the Gillespie paints are good (383 green and 383 brown). I wish they had an equivalent for 686A tan CARC.

Desert Rat

I can attest to Bkubu's observations! Krylon is a good black to use. Here's and example from 'Storm. Note the front wheel in the second pic..

oifvet23

you know when i was painting f-18's for the corps we had to use special paint they designed to withstand the high speeds and atmospheric conditions and would still come off and it was a huge pain in the butt to mix the colors for the letters and number so one day i was trying to get out of work early i think it was a friday so i went to wal-mart and bought six differant colors in a rattle can (krylon) and sprayed my lettering with it figuring it would be a quick fix and i could redo it right another time...well to finish the story..the krylon never came off it didnt even dull..after that i wouldnt use anything else to do my lettering..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks